Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2019, 08:23 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times

Advertisements

I have an onsite interview this week at a major Maryville employer, and went to sort of scout things out yesterday. The facility is off of 140 at the far eastern end and I was sort of shocked at how little was around there to eat. There was a McDonald's, Food Lion, etc. I'm guessing you'd have to go back to 129 to find something to eat at lunch? How doable is that on a typical lunch hour?

There definitely wasn't much going back on 33 toward downtown. We drove around downtown a bit yesterday around lunchtime, and still didn't see many places to eat or anything.

From what I can tell, is most of the stuff to do out on 129 or Lamar Alexander parkway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 10:23 AM

363 posts, read 482,985 times
Not that I can think of at the top of my head. The one major employer I can think of there has their own cafeteria onsite.

You can always go up the 140 to Northshore, there's some restaurants there.

Good luck on your interview!

Old 03-17-2019, 12:18 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,518,025 times
Lived in Maryville for a number of years. There is much less to do and way less places to eat out at than where you presently live.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:13 PM

That's the major employer in question.

I prefer to actually eat away from my colleagues. I normally take walks during my lunch hour where I am, and just run the to the fridge and eat at my desk beforehand. I'd rather that not be on company property.

The pay is, at best, a slight (10%, less than 20%) move upward. Benefits seem no better per Glassdoor, and the project I'd be on seems uniquely vulnerable to the next recession.

I may pass on the thing altogether.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:02 PM

363 posts, read 482,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That's the major employer in question.

I prefer to actually eat away from my colleagues. I normally take walks during my lunch hour where I am, and just run the to the fridge and eat at my desk beforehand. I'd rather that not be on company property.

The pay is, at best, a slight (10%, less than 20%) move upward. Benefits seem no better per Glassdoor, and the project I'd be on seems uniquely vulnerable to the next recession.

I may pass on the thing altogether.
I passed on working there because I thought their "bonus" program was a joke. I don't regret it at all.

There are several noteworthy employers here in Knox but the pay here is atrocious.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoughkitty View Post
I passed on working there because I thought their "bonus" program was a joke. I don't regret it at all.

There are several noteworthy employers here in Knox but the pay here is atrocious.
I don't know your sector intimately but I do know where you work now and where you are looking. I agree that if you can't better your situation keep where you are - for now.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I don't know your sector intimately but I do know where you work now and where you are looking. I agree that if you can't better your situation keep where you are - for now.
FWIW, I sold out in Johnson City as my office is moving back to Kingsport at the end of this week. I'll be on a month to month in Kingsport at the first of April. I've been bouncing between living and working in Kingsport/JC on both ends of that equation for six months now, plus wherever else I'm needed at the various other area facilities. It's turned into a ton of driving around, though some of it is company subsidized.

I've been doing the Kingsport to Johnson City commute and the reverse depending on the day. These commutes are getting rough - 26 basically stalls in both directions at either Boones Creek/State of Franklin or around Wilcox every day. Most days are 35-45 minutes one way.

That's one of the reasons I was looking at this job, but I was so disappointed in what I saw on that side of Maryville that I'd probably have to live in Knoxville to have anything to do then commute back to that job site. That's likely not going to be much better than what I have now. Once we get back to Kingsport, my commute is going to be five minutes. I thought Maryville would have more to offer than Kingsport, but it didn't seem to.

Rentals were also harder to come by based on what I saw on the major real estate websites and quite a bit more expensive as well.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:04 PM

Is everything moving to Kpt?

Tri cities commutes spoil a person.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Is everything moving to Kpt?

Tri cities commutes spoil a person.
In short, no.

Various departments are being shuffled to different places depending on when leases are up for the legacy systems. Lots of buildings are being sold. The general public does not realize the amount of real estate holdings that are out there, and a lot of those properties are older and cost tons to maintain. There are way too many buildings for what is trying to happen. Sometimes the properties are being maintained only to a minimum standard. I'm in the "big building built in 1945" that was abandoned for awhile, then those functions moved across town. This building is a train wreck, was sold, and we're currently working in what is literally a construction zone that the new owner is supposed to open for patients and public use by July 1. I've had a rock hopper and roofers above my cube for at least two weeks.

VP+ decision making will remain in JC. A lot of operations and lower job rolls are moving to Kingsport due to the greater availability of space and lower office rents.

After this week, I'll be telecommuting indefinitely until our Kingsport office is done. That's when I'll have the five to ten minute commute.

If this job site was located further up 140 or further west into Maryville, I'd give it more consideration. It's on the wrong end of town. I liked the other side of 140. This office was just plopped into the middle of nowhere. I don't want to eat onsite every day. I prefer to get off company property. I'll have those options around Indian Path that I won't at this Maryville site.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:16 AM

16,288 posts, read 10,434,651 times
This place is on R 33, or maybe it's called E Broadway at that point, and it's really good. We found a drive thru BBQ place as well as another that had a really good soup in the general area

https://foursquare.com/v/aroma-cafe/...8cd13a6d1ac1cf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville