Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2019, 12:41 PM

13 posts, read 9,925 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom of an 8 year old son. I have lived in SD for about 16 years. My parents recently bought a home in Maryville TN. I have been to Nashville and thought it was a close comparison in many ways to San Diego. Has anyone moved from a large city to Knoxville/ Maryville area and did you go thru major shock? I am 44yo so I'm done with the party days but still like city life, shopping, resturants ect .... maybe with a little more laid back atmosphere....I would like to be close to my parents, my son be in a good school.

Last edited by COzuna74; 03-06-2019 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 01:35 PM

10,070 posts, read 14,449,392 times
The Knoxville metro area is home to about 900,000 people and growing, so it is definitely nowhere near the size of a cosmopolitan, larger and beachside city like San Diego. It's really apples and oranges to compare those 2 cities, and the geography of southern Cali where you live is very Mediterranean climate, so that climate in and of itself, is near-perfect year-round and is a pretty rare climate globally.

With all that being said, the Knoxville region is beautiful in its own right. Sitting at the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, the area has 4 seasons, but a winter that will bring maybe 2 or 3 snowfalls each year of measurable snow, and a few dustings of snow otherwise. Winter lasts about 3 months max, from December to February, roughly.

Looking for laid back, well that is definitely the Knoxville area. Depending on what you do for work, Nashville is highly likely to have more options since it is a lot bigger, but Knoxville has a great economy as well--plus the state of Tennessee does not have income tax. I would highly encourage you to get a job before moving to the area first.

Knoxville has a great amount of shopping options, with most all of the major stores. For more "luxury/high end shopping," you'll have to go to Nashville or Atlanta, but most things these days can be bought online anywhere, anyway, so no issue there. Knoxville has a ton of great restaurants and bars, and a really active and lively downtown.

In terms of the "shock" you mention, there will definitely be a big change if you move to Knoxville. Nashville will soften the culture change though, but anything from southern California move to the southeast US is a big culture and regional adjustment. The San Diego area is ideal on a lot of levels, and no US region can compete.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:28 PM

363 posts, read 482,462 times
Hi! San Diego native now living in Knoxville for almost 4 years now. I grew up in Mira Mesa and then moved out to Temecula before moving here. I moved to the West Knoxville area it's suburbia was closer to home and I didn't want to get home sick. It has worked out really well although I do miss my friends very much.

Maryville has very good schools so your son should do well there.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:09 PM

I currently work in accounting for a law firm but also have about 15 years of experience in construction accounting and project management. The biggest things I imagine being a shock are definitely weather but almost no where will compare to here in that way so I expect it. My son would much rather live somewhere that we may get snow once in awhile.
The second big change will most likely be food lol. I eat 85% healthy with room for the amazing Mexican food I love to my core here.

I am wondering about the attitude on racism and tolerance. CA is really a melting pot and very relaxed. I say this because I am white and my son is african american and white. I am wondering if that will be an issue at school there as I have noticed it is like 90% white.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:04 PM

363 posts, read 482,462 times
I sent you a message.

Speaking of Mexican food, closest place to San Diego mexican food is Oscars Mexican on Cumberland in downtown Knoxville (there's also an Italian place not that far from there also called Oscars). If you want a California Burrito, make sure you ask for french fries in your burrito instead of the home fried potatoes (I hate that). There's an Insomnia Cookie place next door that has the most amazing white chocolate macadamia nut cookies.

We get some snow but not a lot. If you are in Maryville, you should be able to see it on the Smokeys though. Kinda like when Mt Julian gets snow. Close enough to drive to. Except we get bears instead of Mountain Lions. Maybe they have those here too but mostly I hear and see bears.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:10 PM

377 posts, read 470,393 times
I forgot to mention that if you're not moving in with your parents or buying your own place, rentals might be a challenge. That's a high-demand area so anything affordable is the first thing to go. Check out Foch Rd or maybe find a Maryville College student who needs a roommate.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:19 PM

Thank you so much! I am so excited for the move, and am still surprised by the kindness I have seen from the people in TN. People in San Diego aren't bad but not nearly as warm as TN. I am planning to move end of June beginning of July.

As far as the mixed race thing, I was hoping it wasnt going to be an issue. It sounds like it will be just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville