Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 AM

5 posts, read 10,140 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am originally from Athens, TN, and though I've been to visit, I haven't lived in TN for 15 years due to life's crazy circumstances. I am finally in a position where I am able to move back, but I'm thinking about the Knoxville/Maryville area. I will be graduating this year with a B.S. in marketing, but I worry that I won't be able to find work because my degree isn't from UTK. I'm wondering if any of you can tell me if that may be a problem for me. Would it be easier to find jobs with bigger corporations, or with smaller, independently owned ones?

Also, I really can't remember much about the areas around Knox. Is Maryville a good area? Lenoir City? (I have kids, would rather not live in the city)

I kind of feel like an idiot having to ask these questions (since I'm from there! LOL), but I desperately want to move home. I've asked my family about all this, but they're not sure what to tell me. Any advice ya'll could give me on these topics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 AM

4 posts, read 9,057 times
Knoxville area is okay, but don't forget Chattanooga if you are undecided. Chattanooga has made strides in the past couple of decades with several new companies settling here.It was recently named in the top ten cities in the U.S. by Outside magazine. Chattanooga has outpaced Knoxville and most of TN in growth for the last couple of years but is still easier to get around town. A good job in marketing shouldn't be hard to find here. I'm originally from Athens too and I have lived all over the place since then but decided to move back when I had a job offer in Chattanooga and I haven't regretted it at all.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:19 AM

611 posts, read 1,459,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlycuyler1 View Post
Knoxville area is okay, but don't forget Chattanooga if you are undecided. Chattanooga has made strides in the past couple of decades with several new companies settling here.It was recently named in the top ten cities in the U.S. by Outside magazine. Chattanooga has outpaced Knoxville and most of TN in growth for the last couple of years but is still easier to get around town. A good job in marketing shouldn't be hard to find here. I'm originally from Athens too and I have lived all over the place since then but decided to move back when I had a job offer in Chattanooga and I haven't regretted it at all.
I'm glad that you like Chattanooga, but the topic starter specifically asked for advice about Knoxville. There is a separate forum for Chattanooga-related questions/material/advice.

To the OP - I'm not qualified to answer questions about jobs, but I do know that Maryville is a great place to live. Several of our forum members live there, so they can answer questions in greater detail, but the school system is one of the best in the area and prices seem pretty reasonable overall. My family considered buying there a few years ago - I'm sure we would've loved it.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:46 AM

340 posts, read 1,189,145 times
dixiegirl,

We moved to Maryville two years ago, love it. It's very family-oriented, and as mentioned, the school district is tops. There's wonderful family activities around town, and the greenbelt can't be beat for the beauty, not to mention the proximity to the mountains.

I live there and work in west Knoxville. I don't have a degree from UT either, but that wasn't a consideration for the corporate job I hold.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:52 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
While I love Chattanooga and wish in many ways that Knoxville were more like Chattanooga, there's no need to tell untruths. In the last couple of years Chattanooga has lost over 2,000 jobs while Knoxville has gained over 4,000. The Chattanooga metro area has grown by 12,000 and Knoxville has grown by 23,000. I don't know where you got your information that "Chattanooga has outpaced Knoxville and most of TN in growth for the last couple of years" but that is definitely NOT the case.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
While I love Chattanooga and wish in many ways that Knoxville were more like Chattanooga, there's no need to tell untruths. In the last couple of years Chattanooga has lost over 2,000 jobs while Knoxville has gained over 4,000. The Chattanooga metro area has grown by 12,000 and Knoxville has grown by 23,000. I don't know where you got your information that "Chattanooga has outpaced Knoxville and most of TN in growth for the last couple of years" but that is definitely NOT the case.
Thank you. I was at work and not able to reply.

Nothing is further from the truth.

Last stats I read, more people were still moving out and the foreclosures were way up. I wonder if a lot of people move there, because the riverfront area is so beautiful, and they see it on vacation, then move away when they can't find a job.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:43 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,516 times
Quote:
Chattanooga has outpaced Knoxville and most of TN in growth for the last couple of years
I don't think that is correct at all. Knoxville has outgrown the Chattanooga area for the last 30 years according to census figures.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:31 PM

46 posts, read 190,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Amen!

Old 07-21-2008, 07:54 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,389,653 times
Wink Knoxville

Congrats Dixie, several places around Knoxville would suit you well, and as you mentioned, Blount county is growing like crazy , and Lenior City is also beginning to spread out, especially along Hyw 321. You can find small community areas all around Knoxville, such as Karns, Halls Crossroads, Powell, going east the Carter community, and in west, you have the new Hardin Valley, that is great, especially with the new schools. You will also probably have great sucess with your job searches. So good luck, and pick an area for you and your children.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,704 times
Quote:

City]City of Knoxville - Site Map of Knoxville[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville