Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 10:49 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times

Advertisements

Be aware that Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg experience EXTREME traffic in the high season in summer, spring break, Christmas Break, and even some random weekends when they are having car shows, fall color, or other festivals. It is a tourist mecca, and traffic, especially around Gatlinburg, slows to a bumper to bumper crawl on the weekends in summer. I would not want to live there full-time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 10:53 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
There's some real nice out of the way places near Sevierville.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:50 PM

5 posts, read 5,254 times
we know how the traffic gets, but have found it manageable using back roads. And since we will be looking at Sevierville area, we believe we can find something north of Sevierville. Everytime I look at a map on my weather app on my phone I see another area. Just found a place called Beech Springs. Do you know anything about that place or other rural areas? And Kodak, how's that area?

Old 01-12-2020, 12:59 PM

You might check out the areas around Dandridge/Douglas lake if you would like a very small town with a historic downtown, but a short drive to Pigeon Forge area. It might be too far from viable shopping. Seymour is a possibility, it's in the right area, but there's not much of a town to it. I really like the little ranchette type properties between Maryville and Sevierville on 441/411. It's a lovely area and easy enough to drive to either city.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:16 PM

5 posts, read 5,254 times
how bout Pittman Center? when we came upon it once, we felt like we were in Little House on the Prairie! Didn't see a lot of homes back then. It was probably 2016.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:01 PM

18 posts, read 20,991 times
I'm interested in the Kodak area also!

Old 01-15-2020, 02:02 PM

114 posts, read 618,491 times
My family lives near Dandridge on Douglas Lake. It's a beautiful area, and the little town is cute and getting more businesses opening up. It's easy to get to Knoxville, the Tri-Cities, Asheville, and other towns in the area.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:30 PM

377 posts, read 470,393 times
Fadelias, If it weren't for your need to have good internet, I'd say you and your spouse might be a good fit for Sevierville. TheShadow is correct about traffic. You have to be willing to stay put during high tourist season.

Because you need good internet and want to stay somewhat close to a pool of employment I recommend these places in the order I listed them:

Maryville (county not city limits) - ideally around Tuckaleechee Pk & 321 area, because of easy access to get to the mountains and Gatlinburg when you want and nice area and activities.
Rockford - not as nice as Maryville but affordable and still close to the mountains.
Seymour - not as nice as Maryville but like Rockford, is close to Gatlinburg/Sevierville. Harder to get to Knoxville though because there's no straight shot.

Walland, Townsend, and Sevierville have some questionable areas for Internet and cell signal (because of close proximity of mountains).

Old 01-21-2020, 07:24 AM

The mountains can be a big issue with internet, and even cell signals, unless you're on top of a mountain. The mountains block the signals and you could be in a "dead spot".

Old 02-18-2020, 02:01 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadelias View Post
What would you guys consider the best suburbs or towns outside of Maryville that would be closer to the mountains that we should put on our list?

Also, and I don't know anything about it, but what about more north? Looking at the map, Johnson City looks to be a bigger city.

Should also probably note the less "bible belt-y" the better as that's not our cup of tea. Not sure how much that will effect possible locations though.
Walland along east Miller's cove rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville