Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:43 PM

19 posts, read 33,802 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to Knoxville area the end of August. Have been checking things out. I'm from Carlisle PA and it is just getting to big around here for me. I'm a LPN and wondering how the job market is, also looking to rent with pets for about a year till I check things out to see where I want to buy. Newport keeps coming up as a possible place to check out. I do not have family or know anyone there.Don't mind if I have to travel some for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 06:17 AM

780 posts, read 1,765,398 times
You might want to check out Seymour. Its right between Sevierville and Knoxville, only about 15 or 20 min right down the Highway to all the Hospitals and Dr's. Its a nice town and so centrally located. Private Message me if interested in Apts I live in.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:34 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'm coming down for a visit in July to look around. Came to TN, last year on vacation and fell in love with your state. Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:48 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin08 View Post
I'm planning on moving to Knoxville area the end of August. Have been checking things out. I'm from Carlisle PA and it is just getting to big around here for me. I'm a LPN and wondering how the job market is, also looking to rent with pets for about a year till I check things out to see where I want to buy. Newport keeps coming up as a possible place to check out. I do not have family or know anyone there.Don't mind if I have to travel some for work.
This is just my opinion. I'm not in the nursing profession. But based on job ads I've seen and the amount of retirees moving here, you may not have any trouble finding a job in your field in Tennessee. I even saw a job opening for an LPN on the federal government USA JOBS website (Veterans Administration) yesterday. But if I were you, I'd find the job first and then look for a close-by town to live in, especially if you are just going to rent for the first year. Have you looked at ads on sites like nursingjobs.org? Try this search term on Google - Tennessee jobs LPN

Old 05-06-2008, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 25,044 times
My husband's family lives in Newport and we visit often... It's an alright town but I wouldn't personally reccomend moving there. I guess it depends on what type of lifestyle you live, but there's not much in Newport - at all. We have been all over TN, Knoxville, East and West is nice. But I would def would steer clear of moving into Newport, there are much nicer towns in the surrounding area.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:40 PM

I like the quiet life. Like living in the country with my dogs and cats. Like to have a garden. I don't want to live in town. I'm a LPN and want to go on for my RN. Don't mind driving to work or going to the store. I'm not a city person either. I live 1/2hr from harrisburg,PA and don't go there to often. When I mentioned Newport I should have stated interest in the area, not actual town. This is why I'm coming down in July to check things out. Gathering info now on places to visit. So glad I found this forum. Heck I've only had a computer for a year. Still have lots to learn. Never thought as a nurse I'd need a computer to pass meds at the nursing home, but I am. Thanks for info

Old 05-07-2008, 09:43 AM

68 posts, read 103,939 times
Quote:
Given your deep-seated appreciation for small towns; Newport or numerous other small Tennessee communities may prove just the ticket for you. Granted, the socio-cultural amenities will be lacking, but that does not appear to be your concern. On the other hand, your pets may prove problematic. Personal acquaintances, who own rental properties are no longer accepting rentors with animals - they've found them to be too destructive. However, those are big city folks. Seek and eventually you will find suitable accommodations. Locating relatively close to work, though, does seem prudent.

Best of luck to you in transition and relocation.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:52 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
I like the quiet life. Like living in the country with my dogs and cats. Like to have a garden. I don't want to live in town. I'm a LPN and want to go on for my RN. Don't mind driving to work or going to the store. I'm not a city person either. I live 1/2hr from harrisburg,PA and don't go there to often. When I mentioned Newport I should have stated interest in the area, not actual town. This is why I'm coming down in July to check things out. Gathering info now on places to visit. So glad I found this forum. Heck I've only had a computer for a year. Still have lots to learn. Never thought as a nurse I'd need a computer to pass meds at the nursing home, but I am. Thanks for info
I agree with su13lime, I'd stay away from the town of Newport. The area around Newport, however, is absolutely gorgeous, as is pretty much all of East Tennessee.

If you want to be closer to Knoxville, I'd check out Dandridge, Strawberry Plains, Kingston, Clinton, and Lenoir City. Those are all small towns (Strawberry Plains isn't even a town, it's just a ZIP code out in the country) that are within pretty easy driving distance of Knoxville.

Dandridge, Kingston and Lenoir City are all right on lakes. Dandridge is Tennessee's 2nd oldest town, and Kingston was the state capital for a day. Lenoir City is a small town that's growing pretty quickly because of its proximity to posh West Knox. Strawberry Plains is a farming community that's within easy access to Knoxville.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:57 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,438 times
I agree with Laura about getting your job lined up first. There are so many towns/areas to choose from and they all are different.
You'd do better by looking at a map of Knoxville and the surrounding areas and go to a realtor site for rentals to give you an idea on whats available that accepts pets and narrow your choices down that way, so you are getting the most bang for your buck when you visit in July. You may even like Knoxville. I am a country girl from upstate NY and I was hesitant when we moved to Knoxville as I don't like cities. Tell you what after living there and for the past year living out here in Dandridge, I can't wait to get back to Knoxville. To me, Knoxville is like a big overgrown town, not like a city at all. Well Broadway and downtown are, but East Knox really appealed to me. But that is me.
I wish you well in your search,
Pam

Old 05-07-2008, 03:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
I'd go with JMT's list. Those places are a lot closer to Knoxville, where you will probably find employment.

The difference between cities here and the ones up north are that it only takes 10 minutes, sometimes less, to be in the country.

I am a country girl, and Yankee, like you, and live about 15 minutes from Knoxville, but I am in a small community of 4,000.

I would be leery of the countryside of Cocke County.

I'll point out the elephant in the room that everyone is afraid to mention. It's a long story, but it is worth reading if you plan to live there:

Cocke County Confidential : News : Knoxville News Sentinel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville