Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 4,146 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for property in the east TN area. We are looking for 3-5 acres of land to eventually build on. We prefer rural property but still have access to amenities. We also want to be in a low crime area. Lake access is a must for bass fishing. A few of the areas that seem like they would fit are Dandridge, Jefferson City, Morristown, White Pine, New Market, Farragut, Maryville. We have just started our research and we are open to any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 12:13 PM

11,104 posts, read 9,748,456 times
You can also look in the areas of Loudon, Lenoir City, Vonore, and the areas around Highway 321 between Lenoir City and Maryville, and off highway 411 and 360 near Vonore. You can also look around highway 58 south of Kingston. Plenty of lakes and river to go around.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:33 PM

5,970 posts, read 3,715,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack99 View Post
My wife and I are looking for property in the east TN area. We are looking for 3-5 acres of land to eventually build on. We prefer rural property but still have access to amenities. We also want to be in a low crime area. Lake access is a must for bass fishing. A few of the areas that seem like they would fit are Dandridge, Jefferson City, Morristown, White Pine, New Market, Farragut, Maryville. We have just started our research and we are open to any suggestions.
What is your maximum price? If you haven't checked it out already, the website www.realtor.com will be a good place to start your search. At a minimum, it will give you an idea of what's for sale and what has been sold in that area that somewhat matches your description. It also gives prices.

Old 06-01-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
What is your maximum price? If you haven't checked it out already, the website [url]www.realtor.com[/url] will be a good place to start your search. At a minimum, it will give you an idea of what's for sale and what has been sold in that area that somewhat matches your description. It also gives prices.
For the property itself I would say 100-150k max.

Old 06-01-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You can also look in the areas of Loudon, Lenoir City, Vonore, and the areas around Highway 321 between Lenoir City and Maryville, and off highway 411 and 360 near Vonore. You can also look around highway 58 south of Kingston. Plenty of lakes and river to go around.
Of the cities listed, which would be the nicest areas to least in order I’m your opinion?

I typically prefer lake fishing to river fishing but I’m not opposed to the river.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:44 PM

176 posts, read 220,364 times
Quote:
Of the cities listed, which would be the nicest areas to least in order I’m your opinion?

I typically prefer lake fishing to river fishing but I’m not opposed to the river.
Not to pick bones, but TheShadow said, "areas." You said, "...cities..." Vonore, Loudon, and Lenoir City are not really cities. Towns, maybe. Loudon is not very densely populated and with only a small number of businesses, stores, restaurants, (boutiques, Dollar General, Wendy's, McD's, etc.). Vonore is even smaller, IMHO. Not too far away, but it is more remote. However - Vonore is much closer to the city of Maryville. Lenoir City has, with the exceptions of Jack In The Box and In N Out, every single fast food restaurant known to mankind. So it seems. It has one main drag between the lake and the Interstate, and another that goes to Loudon (and beyond) on one end, and into Farragut and Knoxville in the other direction. If you are looking for a "city" as it is usually considered - suburban - then try Farragut, just east of Lenoir City but west of Knoxville.

Old 06-02-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyStills View Post
Not to pick bones, but TheShadow said, "areas." You said, "...cities..." Vonore, Loudon, and Lenoir City are not really cities. Towns, maybe. Loudon is not very densely populated and with only a small number of businesses, stores, restaurants, (boutiques, Dollar General, Wendy's, McD's, etc.). Vonore is even smaller, IMHO. Not too far away, but it is more remote. However - Vonore is much closer to the city of Maryville. Lenoir City has, with the exceptions of Jack In The Box and In N Out, every single fast food restaurant known to mankind. So it seems. It has one main drag between the lake and the Interstate, and another that goes to Loudon (and beyond) on one end, and into Farragut and Knoxville in the other direction. If you are looking for a "city" as it is usually considered - suburban - then try Farragut, just east of Lenoir City but west of Knoxville.
OP said rural properties of around 3-5 acres, with ready access to lakes, so the places I mentioned are where there are plenty of rural properties in that size which are close to the lakes and rivers. It's not likely to find acreage in a city. The rural areas near to Farragut are selling for a lot more than they have to spend for that size of acreage. In the Farragut area, you can expect to pay over $150K for half an acre of bare land. Technically Loudon and Lenoir City are cities, albeit small ones.

Old 06-02-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:

The Tennessee River is more accurately described as a series of long, narrow reservoirs, end to end, with dams and locks between them. There are other rivers in the area, but most of the lakes in the area are actually parts of the Tennessee river system. In the area west of Knoxville, Ft Loudon Reservoir snakes around forming many long curves and oxbows, with many quiet coves along the edges. Tellico Lake, Melton Hill Reservoir, and Watts Bar Reservoir are further west, north and south. Dandridge is a cute city to the east of Knoxville, near Douglas Lake.

As someone above mentioned, go on Realtor.com, or Zillow.com, and put in your desired area, price range and other parameters. You can filter for just land, and price range, and see what pops up. Be sure to click on "remove boundaries" on the upper right side of the map in Zillow, or you'll only get properties within the boundary of whatever city or town you entered.

It's hard to say what is a "nicer" area since that means different things to different people. Crime is usually pretty low in the rural areas, and pretty much just property crimes. There are people here with drug problems, and they steal to support their habit, and that's true in the city or in the country. Sad to say, but Mayberry doesn't exist anymore, if it ever did. Still there's some darn good places here, but you have to remember that it's still 2022. We live in a suburb, embedded in a rural county, and we drive 10-15 minutes to get to town to shop for anything more than groceries. We drive to Farragut (25 minutes) for more extensive shopping, Costco, fancier restaurants, etc, but we're happy with small town for most things, and only head into Farragut or Knoxville about twice a month.

Old 06-26-2022, 05:11 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,820,345 times
Sounds like Seymour is a good area, but I don't know if you can fish here, have to drive to the lakes.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:35 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,383,792 times
Cherokee Lake up by Jefferson City should be high on your list. Pretty hills with mountain views. Nice town with good access to I40. Good fishing.
Your next best bet for bass fishing close to amenities is Fort Loudon reservoir but 3 to 5 areas nearby may bust your budget.

FWIW I have bass fished all over (Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Minnesota, Kansas, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Virginia AND Tennessee.) I have fished most but not all of the impoundments in east Tennessee and live on Tellico lake which I do not consider one of the best bass lakes (it is a pretty darn good crappie lake though and has some walleye too).

Douglas Lake, Watts Bar and Chickamauga are all good (maybe premier) bass lakes that you have probably heard of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville