Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 06:44 AM

20 posts, read 84,057 times

Advertisements

We have been following real estate in Knoxville for the past three years. We are over 60, and on fixed income. After reviewing the comments in the forum and the current price of housing, it appears that our price range
($85,000 tops) will place us in an old, inner city, high crime rate, undesireable part of the city. Wouldn't mind being outside of the city but, how far do the KAT (public transportation) lines extend?
Are there areas of the city that are just old, not run down or high crime rate? We would prefer an older home with a typical lot, just room enough for the cat to scratch and a couple of potted plants.
We would greatly appreciate any comments from you people that have a first hand view of the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 07:18 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,538,397 times
Hi...

Here is a website for KAT. On the bottom of the page you can download a map and schedule which should give you the areas serviced.

KAT - Knoxville Area Transit

BTW...Seniors age 65 ride KAT free. There is info on that website for that also.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:00 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendri479 View Post
We have been following real estate in Knoxville for the past three years. We are over 60, and on fixed income. After reviewing the comments in the forum and the current price of housing, it appears that our price range
($85,000 tops) will place us in an old, inner city, high crime rate, undesireable part of the city. Wouldn't mind being outside of the city but, how far do the KAT (public transportation) lines extend?
Are there areas of the city that are just old, not run down or high crime rate? We would prefer an older home with a typical lot, just room enough for the cat to scratch and a couple of potted plants.
We would greatly appreciate any comments from you people that have a first hand view of the situation.
I guess you haven't been reading my posts. I'm almost always telling people to move to inner-city neighborhoods here in North Knoxville. They're inexpensive, convenient, and safe. I paid $70k for my 2BR/1BA home 2 years ago. Last summer I spent a month in China and accidentally left my front door open while I was gone. I came home and not a thing had been touched, and my door was still open. My neighbors have a television set on their back patio (they like to watch TV outside). We've never worried about crime around here.

Here are some homes in your price range in this part of town:

Single Family Home - 2704 COPELAND ST, KNOXVILLE, TN, 37917 - Realtor.com

Single Family Home - 2616 WASHINGTON PIKE, KNOXVILLE, TN, 37917 - Realtor.com

This next one is in my neighborhood:

Single Family Home - 2318 Money Place, Knoxville, TN, 37917 - Realtor.com

Hiknapster found this one in Fountain City:

Listing #612815

And there are plenty others. Don't let the fact that a neighborhood is "inner-city" scare you away. Good luck!

Old 06-01-2008, 05:39 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,390,007 times
Noth Knoxville is a great place, and you might check out the Merchants rd area, as many homes that have been fixed, are in good shape, and several in your price range. I saw several on Fennell, in that range. Moderator cut: text

Last edited by Beretta; 06-01-2008 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: no realtor advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville