Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 10:46 AM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Seems to me the biggest weather-related problem around here is road flooding and outdoor allergies. It rains a lot. I believe I once read (you can check for yourself) that the state in general ranks 6th for most total precipitation (and it isn't snow that causes us to rank so high). We also have very grey winters (days in a row) so if you are used to a lot of sunshine where you live now, you might not care for it here, mood-wise, during the winter. If you are still in the workforce and you actually go to work indoors during the daytime, it shouldn't bother you.
Good point about the allergies! Ever since moving here, I have sneezed exponentially more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 03:25 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
Allergies are weird. When I moved from So Cal to Knoxville in 1994, my allergies were much worse in SoCal then they were here. I could not even go outside when my lawn was being cut, or I would get red welts on my neck. Moved to Knoxville and my allergies seemed to go away. Fast forward a few years, and my allergies are pretty bad. Got tested and found all of the grasses, trees, etc I was allergic to. More things here Im allergic to than in Long Beach, but just different. Grasses are different, trees are different, etc. Some people will be affected, some will not.

The good thing is allergies can be treated. I was on shots for a few years, and I have little if any reactions now.

Old 07-10-2023, 11:45 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Tennessee does have far more biodiversity, in terms of plant life, than virtually anywhere else in the U.S. You are far more likely to encounter a species of pollen you've never developed a tolerance to in your previous state. More new pollens means more allergies.

Old 07-10-2023, 07:20 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,306,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Seems to me the biggest weather-related problem around here is road flooding and outdoor allergies. It rains a lot. I believe I once read (you can check for yourself) that the state in general ranks 6th for most total precipitation (and it isn't snow that causes us to rank so high). We also have very grey winters (days in a row) so if you are used to a lot of sunshine where you live now, you might not care for it here, mood-wise, during the winter. If you are still in the workforce and you actually go to work indoors during the daytime, it shouldn't bother you.
Good point about road flooding. Helps if you are high on a hill but beware if road in the valley gets washed out.

Old 07-13-2023, 06:41 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
It's just mitigating fear and being prepared.

Any weather can kill you

I live near buffalo NY we literally had almost 50 people die this year to a blizzard and that's not exaggerating or hyperbole.

This goes for anything. Be aware of the weather forecast no matter where you live, know if there is risk of a hurricane, flooding, derecheo, severe thunderstorm, tornadoes, blizzard, heat wave, arctic blast etc and do something about it and plan ahead.

Be prepared not scared.

Last edited by drinkthekoolaid; 07-13-2023 at 07:03 AM..

Old 07-13-2023, 09:59 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Agree 100%with that ^^^.

They had the same thing in Texas when they had that cold snap a couple years ago and people weren't prepared for sub-freezing temps for days on end, complete with power outages. Climate change is for real, and people can expect unpredictable changes in the weather everywhere. Now those same people who were freezing in Texas are boiling in the heat. Find a place that agrees with your weather desires MOST of the time is about as good advice as I can give. That, and of course be prepared for anything.

Old 07-13-2023, 11:05 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shudson72 View Post
Hello,

I'm nervous about moving to Knoxville 'cause of the small risk of tornados. I read info about how it's a smaller risk than other areas but I still have anxiety. Can anyone assure me that I'm in my head and overthinking this? Like, I enjoy Knoxville, I am excited to move here but I get nervous when I think about the funnels. Rainstorms, thunderstorms, lightning storms don't bother me, it's the tornados that make me scared. I don't want to be sleeping and wake up floating in the air. Thanks!

Sean
Much of the state of Vermont is under water thanks to rain, rain and more rain, the likes of which they haven’t seen since the 1920’s.

As the old saying goes “you can run but you can’t hide”. Some form of bad weather exists everywhere.

Old 07-13-2023, 10:23 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
It's just mitigating fear and being prepared.

Any weather can kill you

I live near buffalo NY we literally had almost 50 people die this year to a blizzard and that's not exaggerating or hyperbole.

This goes for anything. Be aware of the weather forecast no matter where you live, know if there is risk of a hurricane, flooding, derecheo, severe thunderstorm, tornadoes, blizzard, heat wave, arctic blast etc and do something about it and plan ahead.

Be prepared not scared.
I have lived in NYC, on Long Island, NY, in Washington, DC, in Maryland and now in Tennessee and I don't think there has been a single winter where I haven't seen weather clips from Buffalo, NY at least once during the season. I've driven through Buffalo once by car with my then husband to go fishing in the area in the late Spring in the 1980s and remember thinking so this is what Buffalo looks like without snow.

Old 09-05-2023, 03:33 PM

7 posts, read 4,608 times
The ice is the worst to fear there. All roads close down. You get stuck.

I was with my relative when a big storm blew through in Sevier County in 2015. Was thinking it would be the end of us. The storm caused only mild damage to a few neighbors property.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:52 AM

695 posts, read 285,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcvv View Post
The ice is the worst to fear there. All roads close down. You get stuck.

I was with my relative when a big storm blew through in Sevier County in 2015. Was thinking it would be the end of us. The storm caused only mild damage to a few neighbors property.
Ice is worst to fear everywhere. The south (not specifically Knoxville) is somewhat more susceptible because you frequently have that warm gulf of mexico rain that comes north and mixes in with the cold air that dip down from time to time. Result - ice storm.
However, while it makes traveling tricky, extremely rarely (if ever) do all the roads close down except maybe the ones going over the mountains to NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville