Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:38 PM

11 posts, read 63,336 times

Advertisements

anyone got any advice, i heard they had no fence laws in tn due to the fact that they are an agricultural state, only cities have regulations, i live in a subdivision in hamblen county, close to farms but not next to one, this is all residential around me, but anyways, i have five children am new here and still a bit in the mist, my neighbor seems to have put up an electric fence... and so far there seems to be no law to prevent him from doing it, does anyone no if maybe defacing property value, or maybe a liability charge can be put against him if my children were to get hurt with that thing, any advice would help, i still need to get the land surveyed to make sure it's not on my side of the property but the only thing i can think to do is put a privacy fence to block it off??

Old 05-30-2008, 06:16 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,190 times
maybe you can call someone on this page for help? It sounds like you have some kind of case here.
Elected Officials/Department Heads - Hamblen County, Tennessee (http://www.hamblencountygovernment.us/elected_officials/board.cfm - broken link)

Old 05-30-2008, 06:18 PM

thank you!!

Old 05-30-2008, 06:35 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochajackson View Post
anyone got any advice, i heard they had no fence laws in tn due to the fact that they are an agricultural state, only cities have regulations, i live in a subdivision in hamblen county, close to farms but not next to one, this is all residential around me, but anyways, i have five children am new here and still a bit in the mist, my neighbor seems to have put up an electric fence... and so far there seems to be no law to prevent him from doing it, does anyone no if maybe defacing property value, or maybe a liability charge can be put against him if my children were to get hurt with that thing, any advice would help, i still need to get the land surveyed to make sure it's not on my side of the property but the only thing i can think to do is put a privacy fence to block it off??
Since you are in a residential area there probably are laws concerning this. Does your neighbor have some kind of livestock that would warrent the placing of an electric fence? Have you talked to them about your concerns? It is posible that they didn't think about it being dangerous, if they have lived with/around electric fences their entire lives. I have included a link to Hamblen County so you can contact the people who can tell you if there are any laws reguarding electric fencing in a residential area. Actually, I think the privacy fence is a good idea. But until you do that or get this resolved make sure your children know how dangerous it is, so they will stay away from it and not get hurt. I have five children of my own and I certainly understand your concern. I wish I could have been of more help, but this link ought to get you to the right people.
County Commission - Hamblen County, Tennessee (http://www.hamblencountygovernment.us/county_commission/departments.cfm - broken link)

Old 05-30-2008, 06:44 PM

For some reason, he won't speak to use, after he got his land surveyed is when we stopped talking, i mean they stopped talking to us, so that's why we decided that we were going to find another surveyor, the one he had, supposedly surveyed our land to, the odd thing is that i kept trying to contact him so he would bring the layouts or whatever and he never had the time, or the paperwork was never finished, he hadn't gotten around to it yet, their was always an excuse, but the neighbor got his, we never saw it, and we never got our, so now we have to find someone else, i'd prefer someone not from around here, since i'm still new to the area, and he's been here his intire life he knows people as he quote himself one day.. i hope someone can do something for me, i think i'll go back up to the court house monday , i understand that i can make a petion against that but i think i may need a lawyer or soemthing for that or was that for liability puroses, i'm so stressed right now i can't remember!
thank you all for the support

Old 05-30-2008, 07:03 PM

I can't tell you anything about lawyers or petitions or anything like that because I don't have a clue...
I am sure there are survey people that aren't from there and you will find one.
Please don't stress out over this...try to relax. I know that is easier said than done, but it only makes it harder on you.
I will search around and see what I can find for you as far as surverys are concerned.
It's gonna be alright. Hug your little ones, that always works for me.
I'll see what I can find and get back to you.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:28 PM

Here are a few to check out. I do not know if they are from the area or not. But it's a good place too start.

Land Surveyor - Knoxville, Tennessee (http://www.thecityofknoxville.com/landsurveyor/index.html - broken link)

Old 05-30-2008, 08:51 PM

23 posts, read 60,558 times
Check with the courthouse clerk in records. They usually are a good source for things like this. They may also be able to tell/show you documents such as previous surveys. Subdivisions usually have plat maps of each property. Good luck. Even if the e-fence is on his property, a privacy fence might not be a bad idea. If its any consolation, when I was a kid there was an electric fence on a piece of property next to our house and we used to grab it for fun, though I certainly don't recommend it.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:24 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,920 times
Be a shame if that lil wire shorted out , just watch dry grass since it could cause a fire

Old 06-02-2008, 08:33 AM

Default thank you all for your feed back,

i tried to talk witht he neighbor, he is acting like we really did something to him, i wish i knew what, he won't talk to us. so i'm on a mission, someone hopefully of the webs site you all gave me hopefully can give me some direction or maybe what i could do about it.
thanks again for the feedback ...
Oh yeah, that is my main concern the my kids may get a bit curious and just grab it for the heck of it just to see what might happen... I don't want it to get that far..lol. it would be amusing, yes to let them learn their own lesson , but i really don't want to see the bad consiquinces behind it. I've seen plenty of tragedies growing up, no ready for anymore right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville