Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:54 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,874 times

Advertisements

Hi, all! The wife and I are thinking about relocating to another state, and Tennessee came up in our discussion.

My question is, how difficult is it to homeschool in Tennessee, what records do we have to keep/have, and what exactly do we need to do? In other words, what is required?

My wife has a BA in elementary education (though it is from a non-credited private Christian college), so I wouldn't think that education would be an issue here. Any help?

And, while we're on the subject, would it be feasible for me to buy a decent house (3 bedrooms, at least 1100 sq. ft.) for under 125K or so?

I'm most interested in that last question as it pertains to the market in Knoxville, as that would be the city we're most likely to relocate too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 10:10 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,390,553 times
Hey Artic, tons of parents do homeschooling here, and in fact, my daughter does it at home, with her 5 and 6 yr olds. Yes you can find a home, for that price range, and usually with that sq footage. Several churches have programs to help you with the home schooling. If you like, you can dm and I will put you in touch with my daughter.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:49 PM

5 posts, read 11,869 times
We are also thinking about moving to Knoxville area and we Homeschool, what about the Knoxville area did you hear about that made your decision?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatfarmer View Post
We are also thinking about moving to Knoxville area and we Homeschool, what about the Knoxville area did you hear about that made your decision?
For us, it was primarily the low housing prices and the fact that there is no state income tax. I REALLY don't want to live in a state where there is a state income tax.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:01 PM

62 posts, read 189,861 times
Default Home schooling pretty simple...many homes available in your price range...

Hey there,

My sisters home school through A Beka Academy. It's a Christian curriculum based out of Pensecola, FL. It runs about $900 a year which includes all teacher materials, books, and DVDs. Basically Knox County has you call the Home School Director and tell her that you will be home schooling. One of the parents has to have a high school diploma--no college degree required. We've found it to be pretty simple. What curriculum do you use now?

As far as housing: I did a quick search for homes between $75K and $125K with 3+ Bedrooms, 2+ Bathrooms, 20 years or younger in the Knoxville area and came up with 70 homes currently available--weed out about half of them to choose the ones that are in move-in condition and you'll have at least 35 choices...then you can narrow it down from there... The next time you plan on making a trip to Knoxville, I'd love to show you some homes in different neighborhoods--you definitely have a lot of choices. If you'd like me to send you the homes that are currently available, feel free to contact me offline. Have a great day!

Old 09-13-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelinaRotar View Post
Hey there,

My sisters home school through A Beka Academy. It's a Christian curriculum based out of Pensecola, FL. It runs about $900 a year which includes all teacher materials, books, and DVDs. Basically Knox County has you call the Home School Director and tell her that you will be home schooling. One of the parents has to have a high school diploma--no college degree required. We've found it to be pretty simple. What curriculum do you use now?

As far as housing: I did a quick search for homes between $75K and $125K with 3+ Bedrooms, 2+ Bathrooms, 20 years or younger in the Knoxville area and came up with 70 homes currently available--weed out about half of them to choose the ones that are in move-in condition and you'll have at least 35 choices...then you can narrow it down from there... The next time you plan on making a trip to Knoxville, I'd love to show you some homes in different neighborhoods--you definitely have a lot of choices. If you'd like me to send you the homes that are currently available, feel free to contact me offline. Have a great day!
Perhaps I'll contact you at some point in time. But first, the wife and I have to decide where we're going to move to! This won't be for some time, but I want to thoroughly research wherever it is that we're going to move to, which is why I've posted several questions like this in this forum (and other states' forums).

That said, what are the taxes like in TN, specifically the Knoxville area? Are property taxes high? I know there's no state income tax, but is there a food tax? How high are the gas taxes and taxes on electricity?

Old 09-14-2008, 01:54 PM

125 posts, read 414,449 times
Sales tax is the main source of revenue for the State of Tennessee. There is a local option tax and in Knoxville the total is 9.25% on most purchases including food.

In exchange for paying a higher sales tax (consumption tax) on consumer items, Tennessee does not have a state tax on your income. Personally I like the consumption tax better.

Last edited by jimlee; 09-14-2008 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: add

Old 09-14-2008, 02:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlee View Post
Sales tax is the main source of revenue for the State of Tennessee. There is a local option tax and in Knoxville the total is 9.25% on most purchases including food.

In exchange for paying a higher sales tax (consumption tax) on consumer items, Tennessee does not have a state tax on your income. Personally I like the consumption tax better.
I disagree, but ah well, it probably all works out in the end.

As far as property taxes go, I think they are very low. I think I pay about $1,300. Now that is considered high because I pay county and city tax. If I lived in the county I would pay about half.

However, by paying city taxes I have free trash, debris and bulk pickup. I also save on my home insurance and do not have to subscribe to rural metro for emergencies.

So, I guess that works out in the end, too.

Nice to see you, JimLee. We missed you.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:03 PM

125 posts, read 414,449 times
It would be a dull world if everyone agreed on everything.

I find that living in the city versus the county property tax wise is equal up to about a $225,000 sales price because of the increased city services you don't have to pay for.

Plus, since we moved into the city we now live 5 minutes or less from 80% of the things we do on a regular basis such as grocery stores, drug, restaurants, library, health club, etc., so there is significant time and gas savings as well.

Try this website to calculate your home's "walkability" score. Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address.

Our old neighborhood scored 8 out of a possible 100 score; the new one scored a 63.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:19 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Super! I didn't realize that you live in the city!

We're behind Sterchi and there is only one sidewalk, but people walk and jog all the time. There is not much traffic.

I am so happy that I chose to live in the city. Can you imagine if I was still up near Anderson County with these gas prices?

To the OP, I just bought a 7-room, 3-bedroom, 1 & 1/4-bath, 1,640 square feet, with two fireplaces, hardwood floors, beautiful patio, 23 mature trees in a beautiful, quiet neighborhood that is close to all services. Built in 1955 with solid cedar shake siding.

I paid $119,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville