Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:03 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,103 times

Advertisements

Anybody forking over the $29.95 to watch Nick Stephens light a fire under the Vols on PPV? Normally, I would refrain since the quality is like home video on the VideoSeat games, but I just can't resist seeing if Stephens can resurrect the Vols!

I think PF had to do this, no matter the outcome. I have never seen-- rather, heard-- the fans so vocal about a QB. It's time. Past time. What I find really interesting, though, is that PF said the expectation was that Stephens would take it, run with it and never look back. So it seems, pending unforeseen disaster, that Crompton is benched for good. They're not even going to rotate them, unless Stephens plays worse than Crompton has been doing. And that would be tough to do.

So go Stephens! Go Vols! Go go go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 10:32 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Maryville High School won their 67th straight football game last night.

I personally think the whole QB "try-out" thing this week was a farce. It was Stephens this week after last weeks game.

This is Northern Illinois today; could it be any better of a set up for Stephens?

Old 10-04-2008, 10:48 AM

3,897 posts, read 1,227,922 times
GBH, we did it too!!! But by ordering it yesterday, I got it for $24.95 instead of $29.95, but I would have paid the higher price, just to see Stephens do his thing!!! I would love to see him 'take it, run with it and never look back'......it's kind of like pulling for the underdog! He has been sitting on the bench - now it's his turn to shine.........I HOPE!!!!

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SMG, Congrats to Maryville!! That's fantastic!!!

Old 10-04-2008, 11:00 AM

I agree, SMG, I think Stephens was a lock after Auburn and everything else was face-saving whitewash. And woohoo, Maryville! Go go go!

Wow, bebette, you were smart! I didn't even know you could get a discount by ordering early. But then, I'm a born procrastinator. Which is why I'm wasting time here instead of cleaning out the garage. My mother and I have decided to separate ourselves from our overload of Christmas decorations. I have 15 boxes of stuff that I've been hauling cross-country for decades. I'm sure it's very nice, but then, how would I know? I packed some of it back in 1988.

I expect Stephens to beat Crompton's stats easily. He's motivated... and I'll bet the team is motivated to help him. So gooooo Stephens! Bring it home!

Old 10-04-2008, 11:10 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
I agree, SMG, I think Stephens was a lock after Auburn and everything else was face-saving whitewash. And woohoo, Maryville! Go go go!

Wow, bebette, you were smart! I didn't even know you could get a discount by ordering early. But then, I'm a born procrastinator. Which is why I'm wasting time here instead of cleaning out the garage. My mother and I have decided to separate ourselves from our overload of Christmas decorations. I have 15 boxes of stuff that I've been hauling cross-country for decades. I'm sure it's very nice, but then, how would I know? I packed some of it back in 1988.

I expect Stephens to beat Crompton's stats easily. He's motivated... and I'll bet the team is motivated to help him. So gooooo Stephens! Bring it home!
I guess I feel sorry for Crompton, I don't know. I have a cabin near Waynesville NC where he played HS, and over there people were sooo proud that he was going to be playing for UT. I wonder what they're saying now.

And how about Maryville HS! Way to go!

TSSAA has released the new enrollment figures for Tennessee high schools, and it looks like Maryville HS should be 5A. Either that or Oak Ridge will drop to 4A now that Maryville HS is slightly larger than Oak Ridge HS. It'll be interesting to have those two schools playing in the same division since they're both solid football programs.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:27 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I guess I feel sorry for Crompton, I don't know. I have a cabin near Waynesville NC where he played HS, and over there people were sooo proud that he was going to be playing for UT. I wonder what they're saying now.

TSSAA has released the new enrollment figures for Tennessee high schools, and it looks like Maryville HS should be 5A. Either that or Oak Ridge will drop to 4A now that Maryville HS is slightly larger than Oak Ridge HS. It'll be interesting to have those two schools playing in the same division since they're both solid football programs.
Maryville is going to 5A next year. I think the TSSAA told them that last year. It will be interesting to see how well they do in that class. So many nice kids on that team; Quarles does a great job of keeping them humble.

I'm a born procrastinator also GBH, and I am also doing a major clean out of my house. I have a three car garage and two of them are full of stuff that is going out. I hate to just give it to Habitat but I don't really want to do a yard sale so I am in a quandary as to what to do with it all. My cleaning lady is finally coming back to work next week so I have to get my house cleaned out so she can clean. LOL

As far as the Christmas decorations I bought a decorated tree from The Fantasy of Trees two years ago. I store it upright, all decorated, in its' plastic bag in the garage and haul it back out each year. LOL. I need to get rid of old decorations also.

Ok, what were we talking about? Oh yea TN football. I do feel sorry for Jonathan Crompton to an extent; but I am hopeful also for Nick Stephens. Go Vols!

Old 10-04-2008, 12:30 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

I feel bad for Crompton, too. I had been looking forward to him ever since 2006 when he came in for an injured Ainge and played a great game against LSU. But this isn't PeeWee football; if you don't produce, you don't play.

Oak Ridge will never drop to 4A just because Maryville has grown to a 5A school. OR is nowhere near the smallest 5A school, and even if their enrollment classified them as 4A, they would "play up" which you are allowed to do (you just can't play in a lower classification than your enrollment). OR has way too strong of a football tradition to not play with the big boys, even if they did make a HORRIBLE decision in hiring Stan Stevens as head coach instead of bringing back Gaddis.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:23 PM

OK, enough garage cleaning for one day, though I see many more such days in my future! I, too, have a lot of stuff to dispose of, SMG. Maybe we should all have a swap meet where we all swap our stuff that we don't want for someone else's stuff that we do want. Except... we would all still have too much stuff!

I feel sorry for Crompton, too, but he's been given four games to perform while other players have been sitting on the bench, hoping for a shot. If they can play better, they deserve a chance, for themselves and their team. In a sense, Crompton has been very lucky. A lot of coaches-- most coaches, really-- would have pulled him after Florida or started rotating after UCLA or UAB. But the Vols stuck with him and gave him every opportunity. Still, it must be disappointing for him. But it's not over till it's over. Ultimately the best QB will emerge and that will be best for the team.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:34 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,539 times
3-3 at the half. Good defense...

Old 10-04-2008, 06:41 PM

712 posts, read 1,487,346 times
No, terrible offense. AGAIN. They arent any good folks. Sometime this season everyone will realize this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville