Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times

Advertisements

I moved to TN over 12 years ago, first to Jefferson Co. Where I worked caused me to go to Newport and other areas in Cocke Co many times, to go into businesses there, including the police Dept. I then moved to Greene Co, which also borders Cocke Co and still had many reasons to go into the Newport area. I once had a car problem while driving through Newport at night, had to pull into a gas station.....was a scary experience due to the comments and gestures about a woman working on a VW bus at night in Cocke Co.
So no, I have never lived in Cocke Co. but have had enough personal experiences in Cocke Co. to know that as a Mom, I would never raise my children anywhere near there.
My husband is a TN native, grew up in Carter and Washington Counties and he doesn't like to even drive through Newport.
Not saying all the people in that area are "bad" at all! Just saying that when it comes to public protection, I personally don't trust it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 07:40 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Have we scared the Original Poster off? He hasn't been back.......

Old 02-24-2009, 07:57 AM

37 posts, read 116,819 times
No Im here. I have started looking for other locations. I might be thinking of going to the other side of the APPL. mntns. NC? Thank you for all your responses. Should I start a new thread and list our total desires and maybe all you helpful people could continue to advise us as areas to look? Yes I will. Thank you all again.
Keven

Old 02-24-2009, 12:39 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
Generally, people that live here are very familiar with ETN, WNC, and SWVA. I think listing a thread with all your desires would be a great way for us to help you!

Old 02-27-2009, 05:19 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,468 times
I'd like to chime in with my 2 cents on Cocke county, specifically Cosby and Newport. This thread caught my eye because a friend of mine has been spending the winters at his sister's house in Cosby for the last several years.
I've been to Cosby for two brief visits of a few days. I have not had any encounters with the local police there, so I can't comment about the local law enforcement. What I can say is that it's very quiet there, and I did not have any problems with any of the locals there, even with my riding around in a car with NY license plates, lol. On one night, I went out to dinner at a well-known eating establishment called The Front Porch, and had a good time there. Everyone in the restaurant was just enjoying themselves and the live music, and didn't bother anyone else. No fist fights broke out, and my car wasn't vandalized or stolen.
I've got to say that I don't really understand the comments I've read in this thread about Newport. I've been to Newport on both of my trips to TN, in both daylight hours and after dark, and I can't say that I ever felt concerned for my safety while I was there. On one visit during the day, there was some sort of parade going on in the downtown area, and I saw lots of people, including seniors, out on the street with folding chairs enjoying the parade. When I came out of the Wal-mart in Newport, my car was just where I left it, undamaged, even after dark.
I will say, though, that my friend recently told me he had been listening to a radio station out of Newport and heard reports about break-ins in Cosby and attempted robberies of shoppers in the Wal-mart parking lot in Newport. I was surprised by that, but then again, these days I don't think any place is really crime free.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:18 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I'd like to chime in with my 2 cents on Cocke county, specifically Cosby and Newport. This thread caught my eye because a friend of mine has been spending the winters at his sister's house in Cosby for the last several years.
I've been to Cosby for two brief visits of a few days. I have not had any encounters with the local police there, so I can't comment about the local law enforcement. What I can say is that it's very quiet there, and I did not have any problems with any of the locals there, even with my riding around in a car with NY license plates, lol. On one night, I went out to dinner at a well-known eating establishment called The Front Porch, and had a good time there. Everyone in the restaurant was just enjoying themselves and the live music, and didn't bother anyone else. No fist fights broke out, and my car wasn't vandalized or stolen.
I've got to say that I don't really understand the comments I've read in this thread about Newport. I've been to Newport on both of my trips to TN, in both daylight hours and after dark, and I can't say that I ever felt concerned for my safety while I was there. On one visit during the day, there was some sort of parade going on in the downtown area, and I saw lots of people, including seniors, out on the street with folding chairs enjoying the parade. When I came out of the Wal-mart in Newport, my car was just where I left it, undamaged, even after dark.
I will say, though, that my friend recently told me he had been listening to a radio station out of Newport and heard reports about break-ins in Cosby and attempted robberies of shoppers in the Wal-mart parking lot in Newport. I was surprised by that, but then again, these days I don't think any place is really crime free.
Just have to add that we too had a wonderful dinner at The Front Porch. We were there with another couple originally from FL who have become close friends with their neighbors. I believe that restaurant received good reviews from Southern Living some time ago.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:59 AM

17 posts, read 85,357 times
Hello kevin I am from the chicago area also and have purchased property in grainger county and plan on moving there once my house sells here who knows that could take a while the way things look from what I have heard and read grainger county is nice.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:42 AM

188 posts, read 567,090 times
Coincidentally, I spent yesterday afternoon with a retired mathematician who is living in Cocke county. He says he experiences no problems, never feels unsafe anywhere, and loves the beauty of the place.

He does know that the county suffers from a "lawless" reputation from bygone eras, but he notices no issues whatsoever.

BF

Old 03-06-2009, 06:59 PM

37 posts, read 116,819 times
Hey every one. I had to finally get a new hard drive and reload OS so computer was down. I bet if this post keeps going I will get many more opinions about cocke cnty. The wife and I have started looking all around Tenn. What is the Tenn. Ken. state line like around CLAY county and the surrounding areas. There are some good deals on property with water features and land with views but I am wondering why the land values are lower in the area around clay. I am going to get the new post started with some details of our desires for our dream. I will keep watching this post for new posts. Thank again all.
Keven

Old 03-06-2009, 08:05 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevenlm View Post
Hey every one. I had to finally get a new hard drive and reload OS so computer was down. I bet if this post keeps going I will get many more opinions about cocke cnty. The wife and I have started looking all around Tenn. What is the Tenn. Ken. state line like around CLAY county and the surrounding areas. There are some good deals on property with water features and land with views but I am wondering why the land values are lower in the area around clay. I am going to get the new post started with some details of our desires for our dream. I will keep watching this post for new posts. Thank again all.
Keven
Since Clay County isn't anywhere near Knoxville you might want to post this in the main Tennessee forum. But I happen to be familiar with Clay County. It's pretty isolated, I don't think there's a single 4-lane highway anywhere near Clay County. It's got a very high unemployment rate, currently at 15.6 percent. But it is gorgeous land, and the lake (Dale Hollow) is one of the most beautiful in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville