Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2007, 08:06 PM

48 posts, read 125,753 times

Advertisements

Hello all- Newbie here I'm thinking seriously of relocating from suburban Milwaukee,WI, to the Knoxville area, as I am sick of the WI weather and shallow suburban people. The trouble I'm having is finding a decent job in the area. I've tried CareerBuilder, Monster, America's job Bank, but to no avail, no one seems to want to follow up. Are there any other sources I can look into? Also, is Knoxville a good fit for a down to earth guy who loves to bicycle as much as possible. The long dreary winters in WI have finally gotten to me. The few times I ve been to Knoxville I've felt very comfortable for the most part, a few people didn't like this "Yankee" as I was called, but most people were great.
I just need some help with finding a decent job so I can relocate, and get out of this snob-infested frigid wind tunnel as soon as possible

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,965 times
I know exactly how you feel. My family and i can't wait to get out of Southern Ohio. Knoxville will be a great fit. I have family there and we visit several times a year and just love it.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,889 times
Hello we are feeling the same we are in pa right next to new jersey I also have family there. It is such a different world there and the people are so nice. people are so darn snobby hear to.We are working on moving and finding a way there now.Good Luck Christina

Old 11-24-2008, 02:31 PM

197 posts, read 485,614 times
Go to the actual websites of the companies here in Knoxville. Lots of places here still hire from their own websites and through word of mouth and do not feel the need to advertise their jobs on the national job boards.

Ah, but what companies are here? It's kind of a long list, so if you told us what you do, we might be able to make suggestions.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:01 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,390,007 times
Good luck on your relocating , and we do enjoy our 4 seasons. Let us know what type of work you are looking for, and several posters can possibly help.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:39 PM

132 posts, read 371,507 times
I agree what job market are you in?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:54 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,781,047 times
I would suggest coming down for a week or so, if possible, and do your search in person. I agree with a previous poster that many jobs here are still on the "handshake meeting" basis.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:06 PM

24 posts, read 80,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
Hello all- Newbie here I'm thinking seriously of relocating from suburban Milwaukee,WI, to the Knoxville area, as I am sick of the WI weather and shallow suburban people. The trouble I'm having is finding a decent job in the area. I've tried CareerBuilder, Monster, America's job Bank, but to no avail, no one seems to want to follow up. Are there any other sources I can look into?
Know the feeling well. My husband and I are planning to move to Knoxville. Thanks to tips from this site, I was actually offered a state position and accepted - unfortunately the state hiring is frozen so we're still in Milwaukee. Rats! Anyway, not sure what type of job you're after, but you could also try betterknoxvillejobs.com, bestknoxvillejobs.com, yahoohotjobs, the source (through the tn state website), or tennesseejobnetwork to name a few. It was also pointed out that your chances are much better if you go in person - make it a working vacation and put in some applications, and be ready to interview.

Good luck to you!!

Old 11-28-2008, 06:34 PM

20 posts, read 54,424 times
Absolutely wonderful for bicyclists! There are several bicyclist clubs and they are very active. There are also many off-road trails within the city and amazing trails within a short drive.

Here are some bike trails in Knoxville. My favorite is Concord Park Mountain Bike Trail.

Jobs were abundant before the economy took a downturn, but I'm sure you'll eventually find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: