Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2007, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,572 times

Advertisements

My husband owns a home in North Carolina and I own a home in Tennessee. His drivers license is from the state of NC and mine is from the state of TN.
We pay property tax on both homes. His retirement is from the state of NC and is not taxed. I am on disability and really don't drive much because I am so nervous behind the wheel. We have 2 vehicles registered and insured in each state. We have a Buick Riveria (which we leave at the NC home) and a Toyota Corolla (my husband's work car - he works for himself as a computer repair tech) registered in TN and insured in TN. We have a Toyota 4-Runner and PT Cruiser registered in NC and insured in NC. Neither of these are drove that much.

I called a TN State Trooper about a year ago and inquired about owning 2 homes and if the vehicles had to be registered and insured in one state or the other and also where our driver's license had to be issued from. He said he wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. He said as long as we had a home in each state, he did not think it mattered.

Today my husband was stopped for speeding in Tennessee (which he agrees he was speeding). He was driving the Corolla registered and insured in Tennessee and had his NC drivers license. He was told that he could have been fined almost $200.00 because his drivers license did not match the state where the car was registered and insured. He told him he would be watching for him and that he either needs to change his drivers license to TN or register and insure the car in NC.

I have tried to find information about this online with no luck. Does anyone have information? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 03:32 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Hmmm...

When I lived in Florida, I had a neighbor that was a snowbird. He had driver's licenses for two states. However, I was told by several snowbirds that it is not legal to do this. You can have only one.

Notice that the cop didn't actually cite your husband for having the "wrong" driver's license. I suspect that MAY be because if he had gone into court and explained it to the judge, the judge may have dropped it.

I COULD BE WRONG, though. That's probably why the state trooper that you called didn't know, either.

About four months after we moved here, my husband got stopped by a state trooper. He was on a back road and the trooper couldn't really cite any decent reason for stopping him, other than the fact that he had a Florida tag. When asked, my husband told him we had lived here four months.

Have I mentioned that my husband is very honest?

Anyway, my husband went ahead and registered the van and got his Tennessee driver's license. He went to court, showed the judge his new paperwork, and the judge dropped everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville