Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 06:15 PM

24 posts, read 59,981 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Florida for six years, but I can't bear to think of myself as a Floridian. I'm still a Tennessean at heart (really, a Knoxvillian) and will be so in body as soon as I can arrange it.

Cheryl

Old 09-25-2009, 04:58 AM

325 posts, read 787,701 times
Wow, I can really relate to this thread. I really want out of where I currently live (definitely not a case of grass is greener on the other side). I am unsure where I want to go - and I cannot financially swing it currently - but as a former Knoxville resident (earned a master's degree at UT), that is a place I would definitely seriously consider moving.

Cheryl, I wish you the best that you get up to Knoxville sooner rather than later.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:04 PM

24 posts, read 59,981 times
Default thank you

Thank you so much, Loving the Green. I appreciate your encouragement.

Cheryl

Old 09-27-2009, 05:14 AM

37 posts, read 77,472 times
Default much better at conversation, that typing, but here goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl A. Koski View Post
A friend of mine here in St. Petersburg has suggested that my continued interest in moving back to Knoxville is somehow irrational and obsessive. Any comments?

Cheryl
This is mostly for Cheryl, and Jimrob1, but of course also for others to enjoy. I type real slow, but I feel this is so important, I am willing to take the time.
Born and raised in wpb, Fl. Like was said before OLD= Good, New= Bad.
All I knew is I HATED living there. No sense going into the 14 reasons, as to not offend anyone, but let's say it was mostly people, weather, and political reasons. For me, it all started by reading the annual issue of Money magazine: "The best places to live in America now". I read that single yearly issue every October for about 10 years... all the while being "stuck" in Florida. Ya see, I was responsible for raing my 2 children alone.
I lost my wife due to mental illness/ disease. I was about 35 years old at the time. Prime of life ? perhaps, but no fun for me, as I washed clothes, packed lunches, prepaired meals, and taught those two little ones how we were gonna make it. It was actually quite of bit of stress RELIEF, as we did not have the crazy lady around anymore. To top it off, I worked about 65-70 hours a week ( bread man's hours ). I worked out a system where the kids made it to school just fine. Over the years, I had a whole bunch of "fantasy cities". Matter of fact, when the kids got a little older, I drove from west palm to Denver is 2 days, wanting to check out Boulder, Co.
Mind you, Boulder is absolutely beautiful, and absolutely expensive. The next few summer vacations were all about western NC; Boone specifically.
I still LOVE Boone, but hated the 13 hours it took to drive there (from wpb). Reason #11 to hate s. florida, it takes forevere to drive out of there, being that far south, as in south new york (get it?). Time went by, and the kids get older each year, funny how that happens. The daughter, 3 years older than the son, starts college @ FSU, and mind you, I was overwhelmed by how nice EVERYONE in Tallahassee was. Must be a southern charm thing, I thought to myself. hmmmm......
My baby girl has now graduated, and the son is out of highschool. She makes the amazing announcement she is moving to Houston, Tx after graduation. She still lives there to this day, has a great job at the "other UT", a branch from Austin, actually in Houston. The son now has a full time job, and I decide it's within just a few years that I might make a move.
What to do, where to choose? Much as I loved Boone, and westren NC, I felt jobs were thin, and taxes were high, especially, a state income Tax.
States with no income tax, Fl, Tx, Wy, Alaska, and low and behold; TN !!
Lets take a look at the map, well by golly, there's a town in East TN, just a few miles from the border of NC. Gee I wonder if they have an airport ??
Of course, it's TYS and I flew up here summer of 2005. I had 3 hours to kill between when my flight landed, and the check in at the Motel was, so I just drove, not knowing ANYTHING and ANYWHERE. All I knew i was staying in a Motel off of N. Peter's road (imagine that) in an area called west Knoxville. I took an exit called NorthShore off of I-140, and in 10 minutes knew I wanted to live here. To make a long story short, I went back to wpb, signed up for all the overtime I could get, up to and including working seven days a week, non stop, not even for hoildays as you dear readers, have never seen anyone with a more BOLD ambition as myself. Made the announcement, I was to land in Knoxville June 7, 2007.
Guess what, I actually LIVE here. I have a good job, with a company more busy than the economy dictates, work M-F, and enjoy the weekends here in my OWN home in the NW suburbs where kids still play in the streets, and neighbors brought me cakes and such when I moved in. My personal paradise. End of story, but just for now.
p.s. anyone wanting to visit for vacation, I will have coffee with you, some place downtown.
p.p.s. My son is douing just fine on his own, matter of fact, he has a g/f and helping her raise a son, where the scumbag father left her soon as she was prego. That's a story for another time, but I am so proud of him, and my daugher, too. They are fine young people.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:11 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Since Knoxville and E. TN see more and more of "refugees", it just follows the steps of FLorida. Real estate prices are fueled by relatively well off transplants, low wage jobs are for the aboriginals serving the needs and whims of haves. Also, there is Oak Ridge government lab, Y12, etc., but it's getting most of its permanent and temporary research staff out of state. Servants are locals. Median family income in some Tennessee counties hovers in middle twenties. Landscapes are beautiful, but you have to compete with "recreational" users and "investors" for a piece of land, so if you've got family and $15/hr kinda a job (really generous offering, famous manufacturing jobs in E. Tennessee pay $8-12/hr) don't expect much (unless you've made money elsewhere).

BTW, I hate Florida, McLuxury on the shores, poverty inside, terrible climate on top of that. Don't forget about Tennessee 10% state sales tax which keeps property taxes lower because people who cannot afford much property pay 10% in sales taxes to lower property taxes of those who can afford it.

In two words, all depends on your income, if it's "reasonable" you may like E. Tennessee (before it will get swarmed), $10/hr will buy you the same things it bought in FL or elsewhere.

Last edited by RememberMee; 09-27-2009 at 09:31 AM..

Old 09-27-2009, 10:21 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
The cost of living is better here than in Florida. The people are a lot nicer, too.

I've found that the nice people from Florida eventually find their way here and the superficial ones stay put.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:59 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
After reading Scott LF's post I am encouraged even more to take a trip to Knoxville next spring to see if it is a place that I will like and will like me. There is one thing that concerns me greatly though, I live in a place that like Florida is the "mecca" for many people from other places;Portland Oregon.

This city that I moved to over 30 years ago, when its virtues were a pretty well-kept secret, has become from my observation, the "Florida" of the Pacific Northwest. There are too many people, two few jobs, ugliness in the name of modern art all over downtown, an ever growing number of homeless people on the streets, bad politicians, intolerance and a cost of living fewer and fewer are able to afford. Rudeness and ill manners are the norm. But newcomers discover this only after their expectations as the result of all the hype they have heard are not realized. They come here with starry eyes believing the grand reputation Portland has acquired.

Many realize after trying to make it here after year or two they have been sold a bill of goods and return from whence they came or move on to other places. I see this time and time again. I have lost many good friends to other cities due to the harshness of this town towards those struggling to survive here. I will say though that if one has money and lots of it; if one wins the "job lottery" and can afford to live here, it's probably not so bad. So there is my bid to be not completely negative for those who would ride me out on a rail for being so critical.

Last night one of my remaining friends and I had a farewell dinner for another friend who is moving to Vegas. She moved from Portland to Vegas four years ago but returned because she thought she missed Portland. She discovered that many of the people she knew here had moved elsewhere to seek a better life. After a year or so is moving back to Vegas. She has a job waiting there. A good job. Here the best she could do is Walmart.

People move here for the beauty of the area. But that beauty is being plowed under and built up. Ugly glass condos line the shoreline of the river, what was once farm land and stables are now strip malls. It's the pretty much same everywhere I know but people here don't want to admit it. Let's face it, anytime the word gets out about a town being a super-great place to live is bound to undergo some drastic changes. Some for the better some not.

Ok I didn't mean to go on and on like this. Sorry everyone, I started to make a point and that is for all the great things about Knoxville that are there today, I sincerely hope that it doesn't turn into another Miami Fla or Portland OR tomorrow. But having said that, I hope that after I visit and maybe decide I would like to live there, I hope there is room in Knoxville for me (and the cat.)

Old 09-27-2009, 06:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Nope. They all went to Charlotte, North Carolina. Seriously!

When we researched the move in early 2005, we could see that Charlotte was going to be the "it' place.

I was actually being very serious when I wrote that the superficial people don't really care for Knoxville. I don't know what it is. Don't get me wrong. We have sprawl and lots of subdivisions, too, but there is an authenticity about the place that I think is not for everyone. I think it is why we attract a lot of native Floridians. It's the REAL South.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:45 PM

851 posts, read 2,458,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The cost of living is better here than in Florida. The people are a lot nicer, too.

I've found that the nice people from Florida eventually find their way here and the superficial ones stay put.
Thank you. Hope you all have a great week. I will be up there soon.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:38 AM

35 posts, read 143,294 times
Recently spent about 5 weeks in the Tampa-St. Pete area, Largo, a mile from the beach. LOL From what I saw Florida isn`t what it is cracked up to be, at least that area for sure.

From the beginning of August to Labor day weekend, 1 day below 90, lol only got to 89. Humidity 80-90 something percent daily, rain every day except 1 or 2?

Then add that Largo is only about 10 feet above sea level? Not a good choice to buy a home in a state that has frequent hurricane? Job shortage in that area, lots of home foreclosures, overpriced housing, poisonous snakes in the yard in the city? Pygmy rattlesnakes?

Pluses? lots of shopping near by, if your life revolves around blowing all your cash?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville