Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,648 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm very impressed by the thorough responses to so many different questions here, so I am seeking advice from some seasoned veterans.

My boyfriend and I moved here a week ago from Portland, Oregon...quite a change! We basically started putting pins in a map and decided on Knoxville because of its proximity to friends and family, smaller-city real estate pricing, and better opportunities professionally. He's the lucky one that got a job from the west coast, and I am now looking. I have a Master's degree in textile design and taught at the Savannah College of Art and Design for a number of years, in addition to running an innovative product development internship program there. I'm experienced in all kinds of design: graphic, product development, manufacturing, textiles, etc.

I need advice in two areas:

I am looking for somewhat creative full time work. Any suggestions for networking and potential employment beyond the U would be most welcome.

Also, I co-own a small business that focuses on screen printing modern home accessories, and need a studio space for production: 400-500 square feet or so at least.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 07:58 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,665,565 times
For studio space, start with Arts and Culture Alliance downtown. They have some space available and can fill you in on where else to look.
http://www.knoxalliance.com/
For networking, get to know the folks at YeeHaw Industries.
Yee-Haw Industries | Letterpress Printmaking & Design Company
They're leaders in the graphics community.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:01 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,781,619 times
Its great to see Knoxville getting some more talent. I wish you luck. The graphic design field has been hit here in town (probably elsewhere in the country too, roommate was recently laid off). You may want to check out Threadz. They're Knoxville-based and fairly well known nationally. Also Logo Industries. Yee-Haw is becoming nationally renowned for their antique "folk art" printing style. Sounds like you want to avoid the academic realm, but UT has a textiles department. If nothing else, they may be able to steer you in the right direction. Fun fact: Knoxville was once known as one of the major textile capitals of South. Cotton was moved up from west TN and further south to be processed here.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
So you mind if I ask you why you left Portland and what your impressions of Knoxville are so far?

Old 08-14-2009, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,327 times
welcome to knoxville!

i recently moved back here from south florida. knoxville is really growing and developing. it feels like there are more opportunities for the creative culture now than ever before!

i would love to chat with you about life on the west coast. i have always resonated with the west coast vibe, and wanted to live there.

also, you should check out this grassroots non-profit community group (supporting entrepreneurship, coworking, etc) that i'm working with called KNOXVILLE OVERGROUND. Knoxville Entrepreneurship, Public Service, Education, Community, Coworking -- one of the founders moved back here after spending several years in silicon valley. so there is a huge west coast influx of ideas coming through. :-) and there is a significant representation in the creative class there.

i also have quite a few contacts in the industry from before FL.

touch base with me... :-)

Old 08-18-2009, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,648 times
Default portland to knoxville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
So you mind if I ask you why you left Portland and what your impressions of Knoxville are so far?

My boyfriend, also a teacher, and I moved here together because there are very few teaching/creative job opportunities in the Pacific Northwest. We began a national job search about 6 months ago and considered all kinds of places: Northern California, the Carolinas, even the middle of Kansas (I had a job prospect there.) I lived in Savannah for years, and my family is not far away in Ohio, and I have good friends in Asheville and Nashville, so this was appealing. The real estate prices were a HUGE draw...you can get about 4 times the house here that you can in Portland for the same price. So he got a job via phone interviews and we hit the road. So far, so good...we've only been here 2 weeks, but we like it a lot. A bit more challenging to find the unique businesses/restaurants/stores/entertainment that we were very accustomed to in Portland, but I kind of enjoy the diamond in the rough challenge.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:48 AM

9 posts, read 27,092 times
I believe that Knoxville is trying to get more "unique" businesses. I mean, I think it is quite the achievement that we have 5 retail secular bookstores (2 Borders, Barnes and Nobles, Carpe Librum, Books A Million) and 2 large Christian Bookstores (Cedar Springs and Lifeway) and they are all still open and doing a brisk business. We are now almost half as cool as Chattanooga or Asheville now. We have come a long way in a few short years.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:02 PM

745 posts, read 1,720,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneman1963 View Post
We are now almost half as cool as Chattanooga or Asheville now.
Half as cool as Chattanooga? .............Chattanooga?

Old 08-19-2009, 02:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Half as cool as Chattanooga? .............Chattanooga?
Yeah. Really.

Chattanooga has a bit of a cool vibe, but it is mostly smoke and mirrors created by tourist venues.

In other words, it has a nice riverfront with the aquariums, DUCKS tour and the art museum. But the cool vibe is up next to the museum and spotty throughout the rest of the city. It doesn't feel like it has soul.

Knoxville seems to be growing from Market Square outward. And it is marching along, right down into Bearden, up through the Old City and into Broadway through Fourth and Gill and beyond, even through the recession.

It has a less fabricated feel. It's real people that have decided to give it a go and it is exciting, like we are all in on something right from the beginning.

I moved here four years ago and whined incessantly about chain restaurants, bleah, bleah, bleah. I started to find more and more fabulous places as more and more moved in. I'm glad I stayed.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:24 PM

9 posts, read 27,092 times
I don't mean to be a moan-er. I just can't fathom why anyone would want to leave a modern, progressive city and move here!

Bearden makes me happy to live in Knoxville. I want to sell my house in West Knoxingtonville and move to Bearden. Especially since they have the new Earthfare there. It is so Bohemian!

Sorry about the Chattanooga & Asheville reference. I have never lived there, so I cannot really judge it against K-town. I am sure it is just as boring. When you put it like that, it does seem like Knoxville does seem to be changing for the better. Sometimes I get discouraged that we don't really have anything to draw anyone to want to come here (look at the empty convention center downtown that we are paying taxes on) I mean, shopping is all well and good as long as you have the money. If you take out eating, shopping and going to the movies, what else is there to do? If we had a decent park system like Maryville, I would be much happier.

Friends have said "why don't you move"? The thing is, Knoxville is still better than living in the smaller towns around it. I mean, oh my gosh, if I had to live in some place like New Market or Wartburg.... whew, it is frightening to even think about that. Maybe I will just shut up now and count my blessings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville