Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,289 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live just outside Nashville. I'm considering getting my law degree at UT. We are hoping to find a home in the under 220k price range because my husband is a teacher and I will not be contributing to the family income for a few more years...we are pretty hip, progressive folks and are not afraid of a fixer upper. We love the charm of older homes (pre 1970's) but are open to pretty much anything as long as it's a good neighborhood with some character (i.e. not character as in a bunch of bums walking around) Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 05:48 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,600,149 times
North Hills, Holston Hills, North knoxville from Downtown to Fountain city - although you will find "characters" close to downtown. South Knoxville: Lake Forest, Colonial village, Island Home, and my favorite - Lindbergh Forest. For those reading along who want hip and progessive neighbors and can tolerate a more up&coming area - Parkridge & Mechanicsville.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:43 AM

745 posts, read 1,720,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
North Hills, Holston Hills, North knoxville from Downtown to Fountain city - although you will find "characters" close to downtown. South Knoxville: Lake Forest, Colonial village, Island Home, and my favorite - Lindbergh Forest. For those reading along who want hip and progessive neighbors and can tolerate a more up&coming area - Parkridge & Mechanicsville.
As for Mechanicsville, a couple of days ago, the local tv news reported that the area had a homocide rate three times the national average. Stats can be taken many ways and comparisons are often deceptive, but take it fwiw.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:10 PM

If that figure includes the subsidized housing, it doesn't surprise me. I'd like to think the figures are different if you separated out the historic area. I'd recommend contacting residents for more info.

Home Page | Old Mechanicsville

Old 06-02-2010, 03:33 PM

745 posts, read 1,720,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
If that figure includes the subsidized housing, it doesn't surprise me. I'd like to think the figures are different if you separated out the historic area. I'd recommend contacting residents for more info.

Home Page | Old Mechanicsville
Yes, I would think it does include that because that stat is way out of proportion if it doesn't.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:52 PM

10 posts, read 25,638 times
I live in the Whittle Springs area and used to come home at crazy hours due to work. I used to see people walking around late at night close to Broadway but a couple miles out I never saw anyone. My husband is from Nashville and North Hills always reminds him of home. The big difference is that we can afford North Hills without selling our kidneys.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:25 PM

27 posts, read 56,100 times
I ama long time resident of Knoxville. I grew up here . I currently live in Colonial Village ( South Knoxville) . There are is very nice. We have alot of walker in the afternoon and evening. The homes in the area are very nice . They are smaller homes but the neighborhood is very established. This area is 5 miles south of downtown Knoxville and easy to get to UT. We also have Lake Forest area across Chapman Hwy from us. This area has a wide selection of homes.

What I like about where we are ,is there is a straight shot to town or to the Smokeys. Chapman Hwy, is a main drag.

I grw up in West Knoxville, Old Bearden area. This area has grown is the last couple of years. Forest Hills is in the historical overlay. My family home was in Forest Hills. I would have stayed after my Mother passed ,but we had alrady established ourselves in South Knoxville.
Breaden is another area that would be good. You are 5 miles out from downtown and UT. You have 2 ways to get there as far as roads go.

I would recommend these areas. Will be gald to talk with you more on this subject.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:12 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
I back everything written in this thread. I wish we could make it a sticky! This is probably the first time that we might have listed them all! I especially like your list, creeksitter.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:49 AM

I shoulda added Bearden but think you get more house for your money in other areas.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,390,553 times
Good advise by all, but market will show you can find great deals all over, even in Bearden. Best advise is to drive and get a good feel and again bargains to be had in about any area you choose. Good luck and happy hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville