Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 08:43 AM

41 posts, read 89,098 times

Advertisements

I have pretty much decided to move to Ruidoso and stay with family while I explore job opportunities in Alamogordo and Las Cruces. I am trying to get an idea what moving (from Texas) and storage rates would be.

Since I am interviewing for a position in Alamogordo next week, I used that zip code as my destination and the the companies I have tried to get an online quote from do not service that zip.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 05:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,183,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownSA View Post
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You need to START looking where you're moving FROM, not where you're moving TO.
You might be able to find a reliable independent in your present location who would be willing to move you for a cheaper price than using one of the majors, but there are also all sorts of ways to get ripped off by these small operations. Quoting one price at the loading end and then refusing to deliver/unload unless a huge premium add-on is paid, as one example.

There is ONLY ONE moving company doing business in the Ruidoso area:

All American Moving Inc 214 Parkway Dr, Ruidoso Downs, NM 88346 (575) 378-8218 ‎

I know they represent Wheaton Van Lines and possibly other major movers - Allied, Mayflower, etc.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:29 PM

5 posts, read 14,447 times
Default A possible mover

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
You need to START looking where you're moving FROM, not where you're moving TO.
You might be able to find a reliable independent in your present location who would be willing to move you for a cheaper price than using one of the majors, but there are also all sorts of ways to get ripped off by these small operations. Quoting one price at the loading end and then refusing to deliver/unload unless a huge premium add-on is paid, as one example.

There is ONLY ONE moving company doing business in the Ruidoso area:

All American Moving Inc 214 Parkway Dr, Ruidoso Downs, NM 88346 (575) 378-8218 ‎

I know they represent Wheaton Van Lines and possibly other major movers - Allied, Mayflower, etc.

You might look at PODS. A couple of years ago, I asked them and they didn't serve Alamogordo. Now, we are getting close to moving and they DO serve Alamogordo (out of El Paso). They gave me a firm quote coming from Oregon to Alamogordo, door-to-door. And with PODS, if you have to store your furniture for a while, just don't have it delivered. They warehouse the PODS for a monthly fee. UHaul also has their own version of pods, they are just smaller, and it takes more of them. Cost is comprarable, and they quoted me all the way to Alamo. I don't know about Ruidoso, but it might be worth a try.

Neither of them do pack/unpack, but they have recommended companies that do that if you don't want to self-pack. And they don't rush you in that. The move includes 30 days to move in the cost (the transport is about 8 days), so if you don't want to rush, you can probably get it done in that 30 day frame.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:21 AM

41 posts, read 89,098 times
Thanks for the replies. I ended up putting my things in storage in Texas. I am staying with family in Ruidoso and applying for work in Las Cruces and Alamogordo. If anyone knows of any positions for master's level librarians, please do let me know!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 PM

31 posts, read 87,145 times
Checkout NMReap.net or NM Department of Workforce Solutions to help in your job hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces