Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:16 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,607,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeser View Post
bfire52,
I think that if you want a job and are persistent enough, you'll have no trouble finding work. I'm rarely affected by the media's portrayal of anything because it's all dire to them. My whole family lives in Cruces and they've never encountered the "knowing the right people" issue. Good luck with your search.

As far as snakes go, I've never run into a snake in Cruces in all the years I've lived there. Scorpions, yes. I'm sure they are out there, I've never seen them, though. Now, in 5 years in Tucson, I saw tons, especially on the golf course.
I have run into snakes, scorpions, centipedes, and tarantulas in Las Cruces area

Never had a real issue with the critters. I would kill the snakes in my younger years (teenage years)...I didn't know better...I wouldn't kill one now unless I had to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 01:23 PM

137 posts, read 474,720 times
The only time I have seen snakes is out in the desert on hiking trails. I live on the edge of the desert and have never seen one in my yard or anywhere near our neighborhood. What you can expect to see are lots of bunnies and jack rabbits, road runners and other birds, an occasional coyote, and a ground owl was the most recent wild animal, which I saw about two weeks ago. I love the wildlife and you should not be worried too much about snakes. At least I hope you will consider LC as an option!
About jobs, I have applied for jobs, but I have not yet heard anything. I am a teacher and am hoping for something in the next school year. Hopefully I will get a teaching job soon. I understand your concern about the job market...my husband and I moved here for his job, but I lost mine in the process. It is not easy pounding pavement and doing so much on line, without the benefit of human contacts. Maybe that is just me, though.
Best of luck to you!

Old 05-08-2009, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,973 times
Been here two years and still never seen a snakes. Spiders are the bigger threat, if you don't like critters, there are lots in my yard, fewer inside though.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:41 PM

13 posts, read 48,340 times
We heard a lot of warnings about snakes in Las Cruces before we moved here. The warnings came from our Texas and California friends! We live in the foothills of Las Cruces with plenty of desert out back. I'm sure there are snakes out there, but we haven't seen nary a one. In talking to the neighbors I would say out of five other houses, they report seeing three or four snakes in their yards in the last ten years. I saw that many copperheads in one year in Texas. So don't worry about snakes in your house, just be mindful when your hiking on the trails.

John

Old 03-10-2016, 12:00 PM

45 posts, read 104,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I had a dream last night about snakes but they're usually calm in my dreams and they don't hurt me. They usually talk to me.
Anyway, the only snakes I've seen in this area so far have been green snakes.
He/She is about a foot long and glow in the dark green. Does this snake sound familiar to you Pintada or to anyone? I'd like to know if he's poisonous or not. Haven't seen any in several months though.
I know this is an old post but you are describing a western smooth greensnake. I attached a photo but don't know if I did it right
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes - Las Cruces Area-western-smooth-greensnake.jpg  

Old 03-10-2016, 12:02 PM

45 posts, read 104,098 times
guess I did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces