Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:12 PM

82 posts, read 393,235 times

Advertisements

I am in Cruces for a few days taking a class at NMSU. Where are the good places to eat? Mexican? Italian? Near the University? Any suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 06:16 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Mexican - Chachie's on Locust, Chilitos on Valley & Main, Mariachi's in Mesilla (if you can make it that far)

Italian - Lorenzo's, across University from NMSU sucks IMO. Their pizza is edible if you have to have italian but the rest is awful...green chile lasagna???? I like both those things, just not together.

If you have a rental car I can expand the list some.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:50 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
I don't know anything about restaurants in Las Cruces, but if I were visiting there I would ask the locals where I could get the best New Mexican cuisine.

Heck with Mexican or Italian....you can get that kind of food anywhere.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:15 AM
TKO

In the southern part of the state there is not as much distinction between Mexican, New Mexican and Spanish as there is up north. The restaurants I listed could all be considered New Mexican as well. It's the style of food we eat here where we grow the chiles. It's different than Alb or SF food.

One of the major distinction I think is the choice of meat with the color of chile. Up north they do beef with red and pork with green. Down here it's the opposite. There are many other differences too, I think the food here is more similar to the food in the "campo" of northern Mexico, Chihuahua state in particular. I find in southern CA their Mexican food reflects Sonora more. Just sayin'.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:14 PM

I am from Albuquerque so I have my car. I grew up in southern NM and Mexican, New Mexican, Spanish is all the same to me. I want good food, not looking for a specific brand. Just want the best food for the dollar.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:15 PM
TKO

LOL. Like I said, not too much of a distinction down here.

Cha Chi's is good and really close. If you've got a bit more time for dinner, take the drive down to Chope's and eat at the bar. You have to at least have the relleno on the side there if you don't get the plate, it's their specialty. It's about 15 miles or so through really nice farmland. Just take Hwy 28 south from Mesilla until La Mesa. It's on the west (right as your going south) and you can't miss it. Well worth the drive.

There really is no good italian food here, there's a new place on N. Telshor that's a la carte. Haven't been myself, but I've been told it's overpriced.

The Mix is upscale asian food and is on University by the Kinko's. There's also an east Indian restaurant in the same strip mall that I hear is good.

If that's not enough I could probably come up with some more. Enjoy!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:33 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
Quote:
In the southern part of the state there is not as much distinction between Mexican, New Mexican and Spanish as there is up north.
I was about to say that as well. Of course the standards. Nellies and Chopes. Servanos is good as well (almost across from chopes).

None that I mentioned are near the Campus.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:42 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,325 times
TIFFANY'S ( Greek Food ),Near University - 5 Brothers ( Chinese food ), Gardunos ( Mexican ).

Old 07-11-2007, 03:57 PM

Where is Nellies? We have Gardunos in Albuquerque and my honest opinion is that they are a little over commercialized. I have heard from other people that Nellies is good. I almost ate at Lorenzos but I was waiting to hear if it was any good. I wanted to see if it came up without me asking about it. I am looking forward to getting good food in Juarez by the city market but I think I can try out Nellies first.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:58 PM
TKO

Nellie's is on 1226 W. Hadley a block east of Valley. Take University west to Valley and then a couple miles north on Valley then right on Hadley. It's probably the best around along with Chope's, as the other poster said. Problem with Nellie's is they're only open for lunch and it's soooooo packed you either have to go at 10:30 to get a table or wait outside in 100 degree heat until they have a table for you. It is worth it though, I just figured you probably couldn't commit the time if you're having to return to class. If you can do it...do it...it's that good. Red enchie's with an egg over easy. That's the ticket at Nellie's. Making me hungry just thinking about it.

Garduno's = Yuck. I don't know a single person that's gone more than once. At least to eat, they do have a decent happy hour. I think their clientele is mostly people who have just moved here.

Like I said about Lorenzo's the pizza is decent I get the syracuse. The rest garbage, their sauce is sweet and they put raisins in their meatballs. They are consistently busy though, different strokes I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces