Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:52 PM

111 posts, read 238,433 times

Advertisements

As a long ago NMSU alum, I have followed NMSU teams for quite a while. I moved away from Las Cruces, and eventually NM years ago, so I do not have any feel for the pulse in the LC or NM area regarding NMSU sports.

But I do know that with recent dramatic changes in the financial aspects of college sports (especially football) NMSU now faces a real economic challenge just to keep up - having to consider dropping down to compete at a lower level or even drop football altogether.

I just wondered what the general feeling of Las Cruces residents were to NMSU football and athletics.

NMSU athletic events are not particularly well attended any more (not even as much as when I was in school - and the population of LC is much higher now). Football struggles (1-11 this past year), but competes with barely half the income of neighboring UTEP and UNM (who don't exactly excel either).

Basketball competes very well (NCAA tournament 2 of the last 3 years), but attendance at basketball games is only mediocre. Other NMSU sports are usually quite competitive with their conference peers, but usually those sports are not well attended by any college fan base.

So I was just curious, as NMSU wrestles with athletic funding and determining the worth of a major (one of only 125 in the country) college sports program and what it brings to NMSU and Las Cruces (financially and culturally) - what does Las Cruces think?

I put together several questions to spike interest in discussion, but I am interested in any opinions on anything related to NMSU sports.
NOTE: I am not affiliated with NMSU (other than an alum) and this is not any kind of fact finding effort - just curious about opinions, since this appears to be a crucial time for NMSU athletics.

1. How much do you care about NMSU sports in general, and football and basketball specifically?

2. If you don't care much - is it because of anything NMSU is, or is not doing? - or just becasue of a general lack of interest in sports or college sports (or NMSU)?

3. Assuming you are at least mildly interested, if NMSU were to drop down a division to play lesser opponents in football (think Northern Arizona, Weber State, Sam Houston State) AND such a move were to significantly increase NMSU's win record (a likely, but not assured scenario) would you be more interested in attending games?

4. Would the fact that a move down could possibly mean the end of football (but not basketball) games with UNM and UTEP, impact your answer to #3?

5. Again assuming you are at least mildly interested, would NMSU dropping football to concentrate on other sports be something you would be in favor of?

6. Would dropping football to spend more on academic expenditures be something you would support (i.e. funnel the football budget directly to academics)? NMSU's total contribution to athletics [don't have football figure - though football probably accounts for about a third of the total] is $9 million per year. On the other side of the coin - the economic benefit to the Las Cruces business community in general from NMSU sports likely far exceeds the $9 million.

7. Is cost of attending games a factor in you attending or not attending? (and NMSU has one of the lowest ticket price structures for Division 1 sports in the country).

8. Anything else.

Thanks for your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 PM

507 posts, read 2,063,324 times
I really feel bad for the NMSU Athletic program, but I think it's best they drop down to the next division (1-AA?). As far as the football program goes, year after year, they are just really, really .. ummm .. not good. They'll never have a realistic chance of competing with other D1 schools and I don't see things improving at least in my lifetime. That being said, Go Lobos!

Old 12-17-2012, 07:23 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,744,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br7or13 View Post
I really feel bad for the NMSU Athletic program, but I think it's best they drop down to the next division (1-AA?). As far as the football program goes, year after year, they are just really, really .. ummm .. not good. They'll never have a realistic chance of competing with other D1 schools and I don't see things improving at least in my lifetime. That being said, Go Lobos!
A lack of funding and leadership has contributed to the state of NMSU athletics. Except for a few alumni in and around Las Cruces, I assume most residents are indifferent to the university. They feel that it is a nice asset to the community, but they feel no or little connection towards it. Just my 2 cents.

As a UNM alumni - Go Lobos!!

Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,612,627 times
The football team needs to drop down a division. The are not competitive and are without a home.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 PM

577 posts, read 993,626 times
Well keep in mind that dropping down to the FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) level means the end to home games against UTEP and New Mexico. FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) level teams only play FCS teams at home. That's the two money making games that NMSU has had over the years. Most major conferences require football to be a member as well, so it could also affect basketball if the Aggies get stuck in a lesser conference.

Dropping football altogether could mean a drop in alumni fundraising too. When Austin Peay State U. in Tenn dropped scholarship football, they saw a large decline in alumni giving as well. I'm afraid there are no easy answers. I'm just hoping NMSU gets into a better conference with similar schools like C-USA or the Sun Belt.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:02 PM

507 posts, read 2,063,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post

Dropping football altogether could mean a drop in alumni fundraising too.

I doubt there's much alumni fundraising going on at NMSU LOL.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:06 AM

111 posts, read 238,433 times
Well, judging from responses here - the only posters on this board are Lobo fans - lol.

But, not a lot of activity right now on this board.

As for NMSU athletics, things seem to be improving somewhat. New head football coach and increased salaries for assistant coaches. The 2013 football schedule was just announced - and several high profile teams are coming to Las Cruces in the fall: Boston College, Minnesota, San Diego State, Rice. Plus the game with UTEP. A schedule that should be attractive to fans. And the basketball team is playing very well.

Still no change in conference home though.

NMSU just needs more support from the community - more fans to games to help increase revenues. Even Lobo fans!

Old 02-10-2013, 08:18 PM

17,826 posts, read 13,741,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davbetcoo View Post
Well, judging from responses here - the only posters on this board are Lobo fans - lol.

But, not a lot of activity right now on this board.

As for NMSU athletics, things seem to be improving somewhat. New head football coach and increased salaries for assistant coaches. The 2013 football schedule was just announced - and several high profile teams are coming to Las Cruces in the fall: Boston College, Minnesota, San Diego State, Rice. Plus the game with UTEP. A schedule that should be attractive to fans. And the basketball team is playing very well.

Still no change in conference home though.

NMSU just needs more support from the community - more fans to games to help increase revenues. Even Lobo fans!
My stepson just started at NMSU this spring. He said the men's basketball team is on a big winning streak. I told him about the football schedule and he seemed pretty excited that an ACC and Big 10 school and a Mountain west team were coming to town. Opening at Texas and playing in the Rose Bowl stadium at UCLA ought to help them get some exposure

Old 02-10-2013, 09:37 PM

16,400 posts, read 30,321,072 times
As much as people don't like to admit it, the athletics department is one of the major marketing tools of a university. There is no way in HECK that NMSU is dropping to FCS. It is better to be known as bad that not to be known at all.

They DO need to resolve the conference issue. They probably will end up in Conference USA eventually.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,612,627 times
I'm fine with Conference USA. And yes, I do care. Got my BA from NMSU in 95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces