Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 09:51 PM

14 posts, read 37,388 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Mesquite which I understand as being 10 minutes from Las Cruces. I have been through Las Cruces but am not real familiar with the town. I am in Seattle right now.

Can anyone give me opinions on Mesquite? I could not really get much info on City Data or Wiki. How is the crime rate, is it safe? I imagine from what I can determine that there is not much going on there but a school, park and a post office that I can see anyway. I imagine to get groceries I will have to drive into Las Cruces Proper. I do not have a problem with that. Just mainly concerned about how safe it is.

Last edited by cpeggy3; 01-15-2014 at 11:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 01:27 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,379 times
I'd say it's about 15 minutes from the south side of Las Cruces, or at least to the nearest grocery store. The area is fairly high poverty. I'm not sure about crime, perhaps the Dona Ana County Sherrif's office could give you some information.

Why are you looking at Mesquite specifically? People may be able to suggest areas they know more about given your criteria.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,167,162 times
Mesquite is typical of many very small farming communities in NM where most of the people are employed in the local agribusinesses. City Data does have what I believe to be accurate information on demographics of the area:

//www.city-data.com/city/Mesquite-New-Mexico.html

There are a couple of large grocery stores in the town of Anthony, which is equidistant to Las Cruces. At the Anthony exit from IH-10, there are a number of chain fast food places plus a large chain grocery store. There is no shortage of "Dollar" stores in the area for the usual household items. The city limits of El Paso are just over the state line at Anthony, with all that implies for boundless shopping opportunities. There is a "factory outlet" style mall at the Canutillo exit from IH-10, as one example of recent expansion.

People of Mesquite will be friendly but seem clannish if you don't speak Spanish or aren't yourself Hispanic. Crime will be a problem in the form of petty theft if you are prone to be careless about personal security. Most Anglos will be either farm owners or large business owners who employ the laboring class majority of the area.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 AM

14 posts, read 37,388 times
Thanks for the responses however we have decided to move to Las Cruces just outside of town. Thanks for the responses.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:35 PM

334 posts, read 585,518 times
The feed lots made me very sad there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces