Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:57 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times

Advertisements

I am newly retired and looking for a change from the cold Northeast. New Mexico has always intrigued me & I can imagine myself living there . I was wondering if there are any over 55 communities in Las Cruces. How is the shopping? Malls ? Are there hiking trails ? How are the libraries there? Thanks for any help !

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 11:58 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,049 times
Sure, there's a few 55+ communities... http://www.sonomaranch.com/detailed_community.php?num=6

There's a mall here and a lot of chain stores. It could definitely be better though. If there's something you can't get here you might have to go to El Paso (45 min) or ALbuquerque (3 hrs) or just get it on the internet. But unless you have specialized needs, you can get whatever you need here.

There are quite a few hiking trails in the area (though not as many as you might find in Santa Fe).

There is one public library, though I can't speak to its quality. The university has 2 libraries you can go to also that aren't bad.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:55 AM

28 posts, read 89,546 times
I am moving in Jan. to Alegria, a wonderful active over 55 community in Bernalillo -- about 15 min. north of Albuquerque, 40 min. south of Santa Fe. I would definitely recommend looking into it for your move. I am from NJ (working in Phila) and can't wait to leave the east coast. Here is the link to Alegria: Alegria Active Adult Community by Centex! :: (http://www.alegriacentex.com/index.php - broken link)

I also looked at 2 over 55 communities south of Albuquerque: Jubilee in Los Lunas and Sunrise Bluffs in Belen. You might want to check them out as well.

Good luck!!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:18 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Sure, there's a few 55+ communities... Sonoma Ranch Golf Course Community - Communities - The Boulders on the Green

There's a mall here and a lot of chain stores. It could definitely be better though. If there's something you can't get here you might have to go to El Paso (45 min) or ALbuquerque (3 hrs) or just get it on the internet. But unless you have specialized needs, you can get whatever you need here.

There are quite a few hiking trails in the area (though not as many as you might find in Santa Fe).

There is one public library, though I can't speak to its quality. The university has 2 libraries you can go to also that aren't bad.
I think it's a great public library. I go there often.
Great trails:SummitPost - Baylor Pass Trailhead -- Trailhead Information
This is my favorite. It's about 30 minutes away from downtown. Also, Soledad Canyon and Dripping Springs are shorter, but very solid hiking trails as well.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:40 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I am newly retired and looking for a change from the cold Northeast. New Mexico has always intrigued me & I can imagine myself living there . I was wondering if there are any over 55 communities in Las Cruces. How is the shopping? Malls ? Are there hiking trails ? How are the libraries there? Thanks for any help !
Congratulations, Nancy, on your retirement. Now, for the adjustment - it took me awhile to stop thinking I had to be somewhere or that I had to hurry. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! It's great - time to enjoy the fruits of your many years of labor. I'm also looking at NM - home prices seem to be going up daily - is NM the only place besides Manhattan where this is happening??????? Of course! Good luck - I'll be interested on what you decide - getting out of the cold is a fabulous idea (I live in MN ).

Old 08-21-2008, 01:53 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Thanks, everyone for all of your help. I am really looking forward to moving. I thought I might miss the trees , shrubbery and all that we have in abundance on the east coast. , but the desert appears to have a beauty all its own.

I hope that real estate isn't going up too much because I will need to sell my small townhouse in order to buy.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-22-2008 at 04:47 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 01:57 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Thanks, everyone for all of your help. I am rally looking forward to moving. I thought I might miss the trees , shrubbery and all that we have in abundance on the east coast. , but the desert appears to have a beauty all its own.

I hope that real estate isn't going up too much because I will need to sell my small townhouse in order to buy.
To most who visit us (all from the East Coast) the lack of green and trees we have here are the central complaint. That and shopping.

I say... screw them! I'll take the mild winters and the low traffic density any day. In fact, all 365 days.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:17 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
You can have my pine trees

Old 08-21-2008, 04:30 PM

[quote=nancy thereader;4945387]Thanks, everyone for all of your help. I am rally looking forward to moving. I thought I might miss the trees , shrubbery and all that we have in abundance on the east coast. , but the desert appears to have a beauty all its own.

Nancy, I would think home prices are much higher in LI than NM so I doubt you wll have a problem. Whatever happened to "crazytown"?? (another thread)

Old 08-21-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks, everyone for all of your help. I am rally looking forward to moving. I thought I might miss the trees , shrubbery and all that we have in abundance on the east coast. , but the desert appears to have a beauty all its own.

Looking at the RE ads, I've also seen homes where there is alot of green - so if you are a gardener (I am) plant anything that will survive the climate - it's not total desert - summer monsoons - right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces