Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 05:26 PM

4 posts, read 24,543 times

Advertisements

Hello from cold and snowy Columbus Ohio. Am close to retirement and an avid bike rider, and just wondering how bike friendly Las Cruces/ Dona Ana county roads are, and if there are any bike club members that read this forum. Columbus Ohio has probably the best riding conditions, being rural 20 miles out, agricultural, some great hills, forests, but 4-5 months out of the year a bit of a test, weather wise. I enjoy weekend century rides, loaded touring, bike rail/trails, and may just like to get into off road riding. I am divided at the moment between Silver City and Las Cruses - so if there are any opinions - it would be great to hear them. Have only visited LC once - last spring for a few days, but without a bike. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 06:09 PM

702 posts, read 2,296,773 times
Hi Frank,

I'm a resident here who does not drive a car and I get around by bicycle if I don't feel like walking. First of all, the roads here are not designed for bicycles - they are rough and there's lots of gravel and broken glass along the sides. There's not a huge number of urban cyclists, so driver awareness and respect is low. The City has produced a "bicycle suitabililty map" and you can download it on the City's website - but honestly, I stick to quiet residential side streets to get around. There is also a network of irrigation canals throughout the city with packed down levees - one runs through my neighborhood so it's a safe route to use. There are bicycle lanes around the NMSU campus and a multi-use path along the Rio Grande. On the weekends you will often see groups of cyclists riding down Route 28 from Mesilla down toward Mexico - it's a beautiful ride, but you have to share the road with fast cars. The City has just repainted Solano Ave (main road running north/south through LC) to have bike lanes on both sides. People are complaining because their aren't enough cyclists to justify bike lanes along Solano.

A couple of weeks ago a cyclist was hit from behind and killed on Telshor in East LC. The driver wasn't cited because she "didn't see him". It's a good idea to wear a bright shirt or put an orange flag on your bike, and wear a helmet.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:44 AM

Thanks fnord for the encouraging news. I have riden in traffic, many times, so am always aware, but not usually intimidated. I visited a few web sites and seems like there may be a few organized riding groups, so that is good. The more advocacy groups in the area, the more bike friendy an area can become. I was quite impressed by how bike friendly ABQ seemed. Got out of randonneuring a few years ago, but see that RUSA sanctioned rides are scheduled throughout the year in NM.

If anyone has done off road - would like to hear about that experience also. Organs look interesting - hiking and biking?

Cheers

Old 12-07-2008, 06:17 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,640,986 times
Hey Frank.....i don't have the knowledge that Fnord does on this but i know there are hiking and mountain biking trails up in the Organs.

Dripping Spring Trail System, New Mexico Hiking and biking trails Bureau of Land Management

SummitPost - Organ Mountains -- Climbing, Hiking & Mountaineering

Old 12-08-2008, 05:14 PM

70 posts, read 288,196 times
Hey Frank, Can't help you with L.C. Just a thought though you might like Albuquerque or Tucson
both cities are bike friendly and have tons of bike clubs. I'm a child trapped in an old man's body and am dying to ride again but having to wait on a double knee replacement then I can get back on my Specialized roubaix comp. AGH!

Old 12-10-2008, 05:45 PM

702 posts, read 2,296,773 times
There's an article in the local newspaper today that's worth a read:

Group raises bike awareness - Las Cruces Sun-News

Read it now, because they archive articles after a week or so. Tonight the city is holding a public meeting regarding cycling in the community - everyone is encouraged to attend to give input about cycling in Las Cruces. Unfortunately, I won't be attending because it's dark now and I don't ride in the dark...oh well. I hope it's a productive meeting.

Here's info for a local cycling group:

For more information on the Mesilla Valley Bicycle Coalition, call (575) 526-7783.
Yearly membership dues for the coalition
• $6 for students
• $15 for individuals
• $30 for families

Old 12-25-2008, 04:10 AM

Thanks all for the replies and Merry Christmas. Only biking I am doing for the past month is indoor - as the weather has been cold and cloudy. Really looking forward to warmer climes in the future. With the housing market still spiralling downward, my plans to relocate are on hold for now. Lets hope for a better year ahead, as I don't think it can get much worse - for many people.

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces