Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,141 times

Advertisements

What is the best place to go in NM for family winter vacation?? Please!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 05:57 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
City of Rocks State Park - Formed of volcanic ash welded together 30 million years ago, then sculpted by wind and water into rows of monolithic blocks, these incredible rock formations give City of Rocks State Park its name. Hiking trails and a public night sky observatory add to this unique destination. To get to City of Rocks State Park from Deming, take US 180 northwest 24 miles; then go northeast on NM 61 for 4 miles to the park access road.

Living Desert Zoo & Gardens State Park - Living Desert Zoo & Gardens State Park is an indoor/outdoor living museum displaying more than 40 native animal species and hundreds of succulent plants from around the world. Visitors to the park can enjoy a 1.3 mile self-guided tour, discovering many faces of the Chihuahuan Desert, from sand dunes and pygmy forest to the desert floor. Living Desert's greenhouse features hundreds of succulents and cacti from around the world, including barrel cacti and ocotillo. Living Desert Zoo & Gardens State Park is on the northwest edge of Carlsbad off US 285.

Sugarite Canyon
- Located on the Colorado border, Sugarite Canyon State Park features heavily wooded mountains and meadows. An extended cliff of basaltic rock columns, often referred to as "caprock" is the dominant geologic feature at the park. In the winter, visitors can enjoy ice skating on a section of Lake Maloya, as well as hiking, and cross-country skiing. To get to Sugarite Canyon State Park, take I-25 exit 452 at Raton, follow NM 72 east for 3.5 miles, and go north on NM 526 for about two miles to the visitor center, as shown on this map of the area.

Rich

Old 09-28-2011, 08:12 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karolina31 View Post
What is the best place to go in NM for family winter vacation?? Please!!!
A lot of people take winter vacations to snow ski. Are you looking for that kind of thing...or a warmer place? That is...just what does your family like to do on a winter vacation?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:25 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Winter weather in southern NM is not alike all over the region. The differences depend primarily on elevation. Deming isn't much like Cloudcroft.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:01 PM

7 posts, read 45,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Glad to see you've still got your eyes on the bright side..
I've just returned from a visit back to Northern Michigan and am very happy to be back in the land of sunshine and chile. Ten degrees and tons of snow doesn't bother me much...but the lack of sun really sucks. I saw one sunny afternoon in 23 days. Reminded me of why I like NM so much.
Man this sounds so good to Me, living in Maine, where Our best day is Your average day.the winters are so long and bleek, grey dark skies, no sun dark black at 4:00 pm, We will be taking Our second trip out to LC, as I really want to retire out there. I'll be checking out this forum alot more, getting all the info from all of You... thanks in advance Tim Perry...Maineror as We say Mainahor Mainrr

Old 04-08-2012, 06:16 AM

576 posts, read 2,307,922 times
Default Only two seasons here

We were complaining of being cold (i.e., having to put on a sweater) last winter and our friend who had recently arrived from Massachusetts told us we didn't know how good we had it, weather-wise: "You people have only two seasons here--Summer and Not-Summer."

That about sums it up. You can tell the recent arrivals in winter--they are the ones wearing shorts and goofy grins. The rest of us are the ones shivering and wearing sweaters.

~Clair Z.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 PM

120 posts, read 311,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
We were complaining of being cold (i.e., having to put on a sweater) last winter and our friend who had recently arrived from Massachusetts told us we didn't know how good we had it, weather-wise: "You people have only two seasons here--Summer and Not-Summer."

That about sums it up. You can tell the recent arrivals in winter--they are the ones wearing shorts and goofy grins. The rest of us are the ones shivering and wearing sweaters.

~Clair Z.
For a minute there I thought you were saying that the weather is changing again. As they say in Nuevo Mejico "Chile Today and Hot Tamale."

Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
We will definitely be staying for a while, like two months or more, in New Mexico in a year or so. This was an exceptionally mild winter in New Hampshire so I, like any Yankee, am expecting the worse for next year.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:11 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We will definitely be staying for a while, like two months or more, in New Mexico in a year or so. This was an exceptionally mild winter in New Hampshire so I, like any Yankee, am expecting the worse for next year.
Greg, it's so good to hear that you will be coming out. I remember way back when we were both in New Hampshire and looking forward to moving to New Mexico. It happened for me, it will happen for you!

And when it does, you are going to really, really like it.

~Clair Z.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post

~Clair Z.
Yes it does not take long for a transplant to decide 80 degrees is still sweater weather and 100 is about perfect. It's only when it gets over 105 that it feels hot.

But in the Midwest in March, when the mercury first reaches 45 degrees, people will run around in t-shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces