Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:19 PM

137 posts, read 474,896 times

Advertisements

Today I spent a total of three hours at the MVD off Main/ Lohman. This followed my 45 minute wait at the post office. Anyhow, I have been to the MVD four times in four months to get a NM license. On the third time the receptionist must have felt sorry for me (I was on the brink of a break down), and gave me the actual paper that lists what you must take with you to get a license, including two proofs of residency . That's when I thought, "I can do this!"
So feeling very brave, today I took three proofs of residency and it is a very good thing I did because my MORTGAGE STATEMENT (which shows exactly where I live and I am sure was on the paper) was not accepted as proof of residency. This seems very odd to me. Hm???!!!!
There were two counters open for most of the time I was waiting, but within the last twenty minutes of my being there, another counter was open! I wanted to shout AMEN! but I didn't.
I have waited in many lines, but this line has to be the time waster winner! Well, I actually waited in four lines at the MVD: one to get into the building, one to get my picture, one to get to the counter, and then again to pick up my temporary license. I am not a know it all, but there has to be a better way. I don't want to compare what it's like in other states, but this should not be the standard for doing business with the state of NM. How can people go to work? They must have to take the day off to take care of these things. I dread upcoming property tax, school enrollment, and whatever else comes up. I will need to take off a week!
There is even more to my MVD experiences, but I won't even share the saga of getting vehicle registration!!! My husband had to finish that for me because I gave up.
Now I can laugh about all this (well, it is a silent laugh). I also think and feel so proud that I SURVIVED the MVD!!!
Does anyone have a similar story to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 11:36 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,702,342 times
I've been to the MVD and been in-and-out in 30 minutes. It kinda just depends on luck I guess. There is the MVD express, which costs more but it's a lot faster if you don't want to wait 3 hours.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:58 PM

216 posts, read 732,440 times
Default You should try the MVD.....

at Main/Picacho. The wait there is not too bad, it's still a wait some days, but not as bad. I moved here from AZ, so I had to endure several waits for about 30-45 minutes each. I really think they need to modernize the MVD offices here, the waiting areas are much, much too small. And definitely yes, they need to add more staff.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 AM

9,376 posts, read 20,814,513 times
I was in and out of the MVD Express on East Lohman (by Lorenzo's) in less than 30 minutes 4 years ago. I will be re-visiting since my driver's license is set to expire next month.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:23 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,031,434 times
We used the MVD in Santa Fe last summer and were in and out in approx. 30 minutes both times we were there (once for driver's licenses and once for vehicle registrations and plates). They seemed very organized. I would think the ones in Las Cruces would be the same.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,719,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I was in and out of the MVD Express on East Lohman (by Lorenzo's) in less than 30 minutes 4 years ago. I will be re-visiting since my driver's license is set to expire next month.
I had a similar experience at the same location last year. It was quick and the people were all extremely pleasant.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:22 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,636,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I always used them before and the longest i've ever waited was about 10 minutes as it's worth the extra $15.00 to not have to deal with the wait and headaches of the NMMVD.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:02 PM

137 posts, read 474,896 times
Maybe MVD or MVD express works well if you don't have to prove your residence. That was the most frustration I had.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,719,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendiej View Post
Maybe MVD or MVD express works well if you don't have to prove your residence. That was the most frustration I had.
I had to prove my residence, since I was switching license and registration over from NJ. If I recall, they accepted my LC utilities bill, EP Electric bill and a bank statement as proof of address.
For my son, who was just over 21 at the time and has no hh bills in his name, they accepted his NMSU registration and a bank statement.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:50 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,349,683 times
No problems getting drivers licenses in Cloudcroft or vehicle registrations at 54 Salvage between Alamogordo and Tularosa.
I'm glad we took our birth certificates with us, along with military ID's, water and electric bill, ss #, Texas DL and about every other piece of paperwork we had. We were covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces