Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 10:45 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevan22260 View Post
It's been about 7 yrs. since this thread was commented on and I'm wondering about the sounds of pecan farming as a potential home buyer in Las Cruces. In particular the homes along Mesilla Hills Dr. We currently live in FL and are thinking the green of the valley near the river might be a good potential option, but we wonder about the farming related aspects. As you can imagine being in FL we are very familiar with mosquitos for 10 mos of the year. How bad and for how long might mosquitos be an issue near the river? Thank you for any input.
First, this home just went on the market yesterday on Mesilla Hills Drive:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/2967-Me...51496615_zpid/

My guess is that it won't last through today. Regarding that area, it's Raasaf Hills which is just west of the river valley, slightly elevated. The mosquito problem here kind of runs year to year, depending on the intensity of mosquito repellant that is used in the valley each year. I have been told by home owners in the heart of the valley that it's not a bother to them. Now, on the other hand, I live on the mesa. Last year, I don't think I got bit by one mosquito. However in previous years, they were a problem. I have heard from others that if mosquitos are treated with repellant in the valley, they are merely being displaced to the mesa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 12:25 PM

35 posts, read 39,363 times
Yes, that is the house and I love it, but if I had to listen to water irrigation pumps constantly all the beauty would evaporate for me. I saw it and said to my husband it will be pending within 24 hours, but I wonder what sort of situation farming sounds wise (as spoken to quite forcefully earlier in this thread) one might need to be aware of if buying in that area. If it is a month of the year or only once or twice a week that is one thing, 12-18 hours a day, every day of the week, a very different thing. We are currently focused on Talavera/Soledad Canyon, but the home itself (due to it being around 2000 sq. ft and with a little property around it ) caught our eye.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:41 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Yes, that is the house and I love it, but if I had to listen to water irrigation pumps constantly all the beauty would evaporate for me. I saw it and said to my husband it will be pending within 24 hours, but I wonder what sort of situation farming sounds wise (as spoken to quite forcefully earlier in this thread) one might need to be aware of if buying in that area. If it is a month of the year or only once or twice a week that is one thing, 12-18 hours a day, every day of the week, a very different thing. We are currently focused on Talavera/Soledad Canyon, but the home itself (due to it being around 2000 sq. ft and with a little property around it ) caught our eye.
That parcel behind it is a 337 acre pecan farm. Right now it's in the early stage of cultivation and therefore no significant noise with machinery. There won't be any mature trees on that property for 15-20 years.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:29 AM

99 posts, read 112,169 times
Quote:

If noise is an issue for you, which it is number one on my list, it's probably best to stay away from the valley - same with rural areas around Cruces. The equipment starts very early in the morning and the noise travels a long way out here in the desert. In November and December there also are loud booms throughout the day to scare the crows off.

Talavera is your best bet for a quiet area. From time to time you will hear artillery blasts from training on the other side of the Organs but it's much less frequent.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:12 AM

35 posts, read 39,363 times
Thank you Mike and Mountain. We will stay focused where we have been in our search. We are beginning a road trip to Las Cruces next week. Very excited to experience it in person!!

Old 03-06-2021, 12:30 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
I find that recurring unwanted noise becomes more and more annoying the longer it goes on, because you anticipate and become hypersensitive to it.

The neighbors who live behind me run their a/c at the darndest times - like when it's 50 degrees out at night. I like to sleep with my bedroom window open when it's that cool outside. The oscillating humming noise really bothers me, and the longer summer goes on, the more it does. I know I'm just hyper-aware of it, and braced for the noise to irritate me when it starts up.

Even if the OP's neighbors aren't that close that the music isn't blasting away, it doesn't mean the noise isn't annoying. Music, in particular, if not the kind you enjoy, can be very irritating.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:15 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
It's been about 7 yrs. since this thread was commented on and I'm wondering about the sounds of pecan farming as a potential home buyer in Las Cruces. In particular the homes along Mesilla Hills Dr. We currently live in FL and are thinking the green of the valley near the river might be a good potential option, but we wonder about the farming related aspects. As you can imagine being in FL we are very familiar with mosquitos for 10 mos of the year. How bad and for how long might mosquitos be an issue near the river? Thank you for any input.

Pecan farms run motorized irrigation pumps which are noisy as hell, if that's what you are asking about.

Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water, not flowing rivers. And don't worry, there is no river for much of the year. Its basically a drag strip for dirt bikers ORVers and other motorheads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces