Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 03:47 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,672,397 times

Advertisements

I didn't make it clear, I guess, that we would have set up a temp rental until we found a long term rental, but there's no need now, as we have a place all ready for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 05:33 PM

16 posts, read 35,419 times
You go, girl!
Mary in Massachusetts

Old 05-24-2009, 06:22 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,589,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I have seen the "no housing" situation go bad very quickly which usually resulted in me hauling the shipper's goods back to the point of origin

Wow. Has that ever happened ; have you ever moved someone's furniture all the way back to say, New York, from New Mexico?
I've moved household goods from one coast to the other and back, but not necessarily in one continuous shipment. I once was hauling a shipment that loaded out of Buffalo, NY and delivered to Las Vegas, NV. The customer left Buffalo several days after I loaded her goods. I had picked up other shipments between Buffalo and Las Vegas. When I was about 200 miles from Vegas, I received notice from my dispatcher that the woman with the Las Vegas shipment had died as a result of a heart attack when she was changing planes in Chicago! Her shipment never came off my trailer and was returned to Buffalo two weeks latter. In my 12 years of hauling for United Van Lines, I've had some very "interesting" shipments! One of the most bizarre shipments, was the guy who bought a house sight unseen, only to discover that the house was condemned property!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:23 AM

29 posts, read 71,585 times
I am getting ready to do the same thing. Have a new job at WSMR and they are going to get me a sponsor to work with which sounds great. I am still going to fly out for a few days at least, rent a car, and see what I like and where I'm going to live at least for 6 months. I think it would be even scarier to just start out without a home to go to. Even if you spend more than planned, I think it would be worth it for the peace of mind.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:09 AM

8,818 posts, read 21,290,844 times
One of the most bizarre shipments, was the guy who bought a house sight unseen, only to discover that the house was condemned

I can't imagine buying a house unseen ......

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-26-2009, 11:31 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,589,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
One of the most bizarre shipments, was the guy who bought a house sight unseen, only to discover that the house was condemned

I can't imagine buying a house unseen ......
Buying property sight unseen is more prevalent than you could imagine! One of the current real estate scams is buying property based upon phony on line profiles! As P.T. Barnum, the great showman of the 19th century said, "There's a sucker born every minute"! I would update that to a sucker born every millisecond!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:02 PM

15 posts, read 52,265 times
i put everything i owned in my toyota tercel (and got rid of anything that didn't fit). it was late december 2004 and i had never laid eyes on las cruces, picked it off the internet based on NMSU's art department. it was 2 degrees when i left maine, it was about 40 when i arrived in LC. i camped in my tent at that goofy "state park" whatever it's called in Radium Springs. it took me less than 2 weeks to find suitable housing. sometimes that strategy works, sometimes it doesn't. maybe not with kids in august.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:36 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,672,397 times
Wow, you have guts to have done that, Cory. I'm thinking that won't work in our situation though.

The house we thought we had fell through (wife told us we could have it, husband rented it to someone else without telling her.)

So, we're talking with another couple about renting their home, and I sure hope it comes through!!!! It is in Sonoma Ranch, and in a nice part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces