Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 08:20 AM

35 posts, read 75,690 times

Advertisements

1) What is the most popular sport in the area as far as watching/following?

2) Is there a city with pro teams that Las Cruces residents usually root for?

3) Which is more important to the local fan, college or pro sports?

4) Lobos, are they a hated rival or fellow New Mexico college? How many Lobos fans display or wear those colors in Las Cruces?

5) How popular is Mexican League Futbol?

6) For the individual: What is the one team you follow the most?

thanks for any responses, just curious is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 06:50 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,040 times
1) What is the most popular sport in the area as far as watching/following?

Football...

2) Is there a city with pro teams that Las Cruces residents usually root for?
Who do you think? Dallas Cowboys of course...You will also find Raider, Steeler, and Bronco fans. But Dallas rules the area. Las Cruces is in Dallas Cowboys TV market area so you will get all the Dallas games.

3) Which is more important to the local fan, college or pro sports?

When it come to football it goes 1. NFL ( Dallas) 2. High school 3. My not so good Aggies

4) Lobos, are they a hated rival or fellow New Mexico college? How many Lobos fans display or wear those colors in Las Cruces?

Hated rival.

5) How popular is Mexican League Futbol?

Not very popular. It is a fad sport and is growing I guess. Maybe with the Mexicans from Mexico...never was big when I lived in Cruces.

6) For the individual: What is the one team you follow the most?

Dallas Cowboys ...I now live in the Phoenix area...as do many others from Las Cruces.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:18 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Why do people in Las Cruces root for Dallas teams instead of Phoenix? Las Cruces is closer to Phoenix. Las Cruces is even slightly closer to Denver than it is to Dallas.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:29 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Why do people in Las Cruces root for Dallas teams instead of Phoenix? Las Cruces is closer to Phoenix. Las Cruces is even slightly closer to Denver than it is to Dallas.

I honestly only know of one person that roots for an Arizona team, the whole state of New Mexico is pretty much Dallas Cowboy country, so much that even the mall has a store that is nothing but Dallas Cowboy stuff in Albuquerque just like the TX cities have, second most popular would be Denver.

in the other sports NM dosent really have a team they mostly root for, just the NFL.

Albuquerque is a LA Dodger town though.

I would think that NCAA basketball is probably more popular that NBA here in New Mexico but that is just my observation. Im from Eastern NM and most rooted for Texas Tech,Texas or Oklahoma even over the two NM teams.

and I imagine the reason no one roots for Arizona teams is cause they suck and everyone went with Dallas and Denver all them years ago

Old 08-08-2009, 03:54 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Well...Phoenix has not had a team that long so New Mexico fell into the Dallas Cowboys and Denver Bronco areas. During the 1970's the NFL and particularly the Cowboys got a huge national fan base....hence the name 'America's team".

Hell, Phoenix was a Dallas Cowboys town before they got the Cardinals. You still find a lot and I mean a lot of Dallas fans in Phoenix.

Anyways, Las Cruces is closer to Texas then Phoenix...Las Cruces always gets the Dallas Games. If you look at the national NFL maps you can get a better idea. Here is a link to an example
Week 8 - October 26, 2008 - FOX Early Game

and to top it off, Dallas still gets the most National games of any team i nthe NFL...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces