Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:31 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,286,817 times

Advertisements

cheeser, do you think that more people here talk politics or that you just ran into someone who did? I'd be interesting to find there's more political discussion here than in Wisconsin (where I assume your from?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 03:39 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,744,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I was a little surprised when some neighbors here we met literally 15 minutes before started talking about politics -- one thing was a belittling comment about liberals, then the wife started to try to discuss the health care debate. I quickly but tactfully change the subject, as I knew we would not see eye to eye.

Maybe I'm weird, but I would no longer bring up anything political in nature with people I just met! Unless it was at an event or something where you stand a good chance of being like-minded. It's just not something to get into with strangers, especially neighbors you've just me.

Or maybe it's just me.
I agree.
The neighbors on both sides of me were on the 'opposite side' in the last election and we have never discussed politics. We talk about our dogs, kids, weather...but never politics.
It's just better that way

Old 08-28-2009, 03:43 PM

56 posts, read 162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
cheeser, do you think that more people here talk politics or that you just ran into someone who did? I'd be interesting to find there's more political discussion here than in Wisconsin (where I assume your from?).
TKO,
Well, it may be just the family because my supervisor, her husband, and her brother-in-law are the main "culprits." They are very condescending and opinionated which drives me nuts when it comes to criticizing certain administrations.

As a contrast, I moved from DC to Cruces. What "better" place to be in the world than the center of the political universe, eh? While there were 1 or 2 people preaching politics, I never found myself annoyed at those people. Here, any comment I make about money or recreation or whatever, it's met with, "Well, in 4 years when this administration is over, you can buy it....." I usually end the conversation after an unwanted political reference.

As I've gotten older, I've realized that certain matters will never change. Politics and religion, mainly. I don't talk about things that we have no control over, i.e. converting people's opinions.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:51 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,185,074 times
Quote:
Is it just me, or do things inside the house get dusty real quick here? I imagine this must be normal in the desert.
ohhhh...just wait until Spring, lawmom

Old 08-29-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I was a little surprised when some neighbors here we met literally 15 minutes before started talking about politics -- one thing was a belittling comment about liberals, then the wife started to try to discuss the health care debate. I quickly but tactfully change the subject, as I knew we would not see eye to eye.

Maybe I'm weird, but I would no longer bring up anything political in nature with people I just met! Unless it was at an event or something where you stand a good chance of being like-minded. It's just not something to get into with strangers, especially neighbors you've just me.

Or maybe it's just me.
What I notice, primarily, is people ranting and spewing AM talk radio talking points, often with not-a-clue about the particular issue except those sound bites. Death panels....socialized medicine.... government interferance in healthcare (but don't touch my Medicare! ) on and on....
I enjoy talking politics, and have good friends who think completely differently than I do, but if I want to hear Limbaugh/Hannity/E-mail myth talking points I'll just turn on my radio. The conversations seem louder now, but not better informed.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:39 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,678,088 times
I hear ya. My husband is a doc, and is already sick of his colleagues spewing those talking points any chance they can get. (So far it's only a few, though, to be fair -- I'm sure they are not all like that.) But this phenomenon is clearly not limited to NM. It's all over.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:33 AM

Another I find different here: the very narrow range of house colors. I understand to an extent wanting homes to blend with the desert (I guess that's the HOA's rationale), but when you think of it, in other areas where there is a lot of green, not all homes are various shades of green.

The rebellious side of me longs to see a turquoise house, lol. I do find myself drawn to the terra cotta colored homes -- the darker ones here that are at least a little different.

But again, I've never lived in an HOA subdivision before, and perhaps they are the same in other areas -- your colors are limited.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:46 AM

I think your HOA approved color scheme is not exactly traditional New Mexican in it's real and true sense, more like the Southwest fantasy that you see in both newer developments and also everywhere in Santa Fe, where dictated Pueblo style and color schemes have been in place since the early/mid 1900's. This is designing "authenticity" to fit the preconceptions of new(ish) arrivals to the Southwest in many cases. Certainly true in Sonoma Ranch and similar developments.

One thing you don't often see is adobe with whitewash or lime plaster, which was a very common sight over the last few hundred years but almost invisible now. There are a some old restored adobes in Mesilla that have gone this way, largely due to the influence of adobe expert Pat Taylor, but when most people see a white adobe house their reaction is that it's unusual or not historically correct when exactly the opposite is true.
All a matter of perception....

There's nothing wrong with earth colored homes ( I have a pueblo style brown adobe myself) but the monotone is not as "authentic" as a lot of people think. There is great evidence that in the real old days houses were painted or colored in many ways that might be considered garish by today's standards.
Now, about the only place you'll see the very bright colors (except for trimwork or doors/windows) is in Pueblo-Deco architecture and neighborhoods. There are some sprinkled around Albuquerque that have been restored back to the original bright turquoise, green, yellow, red, etc. A riot of color.
You won't see it in a subdivision though.....

Old 08-30-2009, 03:36 PM

It's fine to discuss politics with coworkers if you already know them and know that they enjoy politics, or share your views, IMO. I felt comfortable at my last job bringing up a few things, but only after getting to know them and knowing my statements would not incite a riot or cause resentment.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,744,182 times
Quote:
Another I find different here: the very narrow range of house colors. I understand to an extent wanting homes to blend with the desert (I guess that's the HOA's rationale), but when you think of it, in other areas where there is a lot of green, not all homes are various shades of green.

The rebellious side of me longs to see a turquoise house, lol. I do find myself drawn to the terra cotta colored homes -- the darker ones here that are at least a little different.

But again, I've never lived in an HOA subdivision before, and perhaps they are the same in other areas -- your colors are limited.
There are some very creatively painted houses in the older areas around town, particularly in the Mesquite and Alameda areas, as well as some real architectural gems. The area around Pioneer Park has a totally different 'look' than the newer areas.
I have noticed, at least in High Range where I am, that people are forgoing shades of tan when re-painting their houses. While the colors are still muted, at least there is more of a variety - green, blue, even pink - have shown up in the last year or so. It will be interesting to see if that trend continues.

I think it is an HOA thing to a large degree. My daughter and her family live in one up in CO and while the houses are different stylistically from each other, they are very limited in the color palette that they can choose from for their trim, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces