Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:24 PM

13 posts, read 27,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I moved here from northern NJ, lived in Brooklyn prior to that.

No Wise potato chips - I really miss Wise potato chips. If anyone knows where to find some, please let me know..
Just moved in from Sussex County NJ, Didn't even notice we had no WISE chips here. Missing Taylor Ham Egg and Cheese like crazy (spk) Noticed no Helmans mayo very small pasta selection. Higher coffee and peanut butter prices.

loving how everything is so close drove 2000 miles to get here. would have done 2000 miles in a month in North Jersey. Love this place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,871,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinvein View Post
Noticed no Helmans mayo

Hellmann's and Best Foods are the same mayonnaise. Normally the Hellmann's brand is sold in the United States east of the Rocky Mountains, and the Best Foods brand is sold in the United States west of the Rockies. New Mexico gets both, so sometimes it is confusing.

Rich

Old 11-16-2011, 09:20 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,752,173 times
Quote:
Just moved in from Sussex County NJ, Didn't even notice we had no WISE chips here. Missing Taylor Ham Egg and Cheese like crazy (spk) Noticed no Helmans mayo very small pasta selection. Higher coffee and peanut butter prices.

loving how everything is so close drove 2000 miles to get here. would have done 2000 miles in a month in North Jersey. Love this place
As Poncho noted, Best Foods = Hellmann's here, although I have seen both at the Target. Walmart usually has the best price for mayo.
Peanut butter prices just jumped; right before school started they were probably two dollars per cheaper. Canned tuna fish is also more expensive here, and until recently, it was rarely on sale. That took us some getting used to.

And yes, coffee is crazy expensive here - I've found Target to be the best place pricewise for the brands I like.

Walmart did have Wise potato chips last January, or maybe the January before in time for Super Bowl, but, I haven't seen them since. I don't miss them so much anymore, but, this time of year, I sure would love some Entenmann's or Stella d'Oro cookies. I may have to break down and order some via Amazon.
BTW - Super Bowl weekend is the busiest supermarket shopping time here - beats Thanksgiving.

IMHO Barillo's is the best pasta one can get here - no Ronzoni - and it is almost always on sale at Albertson's.

No, no Taylor Ham, no bialys, the bagels are hit or miss, however, Caliche's makes a great hot dog and Village Inn has some great breakfast items, available all day

My family has decided that the best Chinese food is either at the mall food court or Empire Buffet.
Best sushi, though expensive compared to NJ, is Mix Pacific Rim or Aqua Reef.

Gotta say, I've been here almost four years, and most of the time, I still feel like I'm on vacation
The driving, as you've already noticed is so darn easy, everything is relatively close and just wait until it really hits you that you don't have to clean snow off of your car(s), shovel your driveway...
Simply the best.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:43 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,288,918 times
They have Taylor ham at the Metropolitan deli on university. Least they used to haven't looked in a while but it struck me because I have a friend whose last name is ham and his daughters name is Taylor. He hadn't heard of it till I brought it up.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:59 PM

Location: Northern and Western Washington State (the rainy part)
44 posts, read 153,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
They have Taylor ham at the Metropolitan deli on university. Least they used to haven't looked in a while but it struck me because I have a friend whose last name is ham and his daughters name is Taylor. He hadn't heard of it till I brought it up.
what about good Pastrami?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,186,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I sure would love some Entenmann's or Stella d'Oro cookies. I may have to break down and order some via Amazon.
During the holidays, Marshall's has oddball and usually hard to find cookie, cake and candy items in the dept where they have all the oddball Xmas items. Xmas is the only time I shop there because I can find some really obscure gifts at reasonable prices. It's located in the strip mall on E. Lohman just east of the Mesilla Valley Mall.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:34 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot_Wa View Post
what about good Pastrami?
Thumann's so it's ok. Not great but edible.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:57 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,102,545 times
Quote:
... Didn't even notice we had no WISE chips here. ...
Potato Chips - Wise® Snacks

There is stuff I miss from Dayton that I get via the internet.

When I was away from NM, I did the same with NM stuff.
( Bueno frozen chile, Heart of The Desert green chile pistachios, Sadie's salsa ... )

Old 11-29-2011, 07:19 PM

391 posts, read 908,458 times
Most of what's considered good apple cider in New Mexico would be dumped down the drain in Michigan as hopelessly inferior. Definitely not so with NM red wines, though a fair amount of whites would find them selves going down the drain also.
Cheeseburgers are generally thin, dry, and even the addition of green chile, never seen in the midwest but a definite cheezb must, won't save a lame Lotta or Whatta or So-Whatta that's served up at most burger places in LC. Even the top local favorites like Day's or Dicks are mediocre, and Dicks accompanies a dry scorched burger with the worst limp greasy fries available on this planet. LIke their salsa though...
The best, possibly only, good Chinese food in LC is cooked at home, though I do like a visit to Asian Mix or Aqua Reef for variety and quality of pan-Asian food. I like the potstickers and Hot and Sour soup at Wok n World, partly because they'll deliver to my house. If their Mongolian or Orange beef and Ants Climb a Tree were reliably good I'd be a happy guy. Too hit and miss to get excited about or to anticipate that car pulling in the driveway. Nice folks though!
Bread used to be really sad, but now there's Zaffiro's/Popular, the best bread anywhere, and a very reasonable price too.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:41 PM

306 posts, read 760,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLynn View Post
An "odd" thing to me was the dark tinted car windows and the need for the windshield sun protectors. I love those accordion style ones.
And the dash mats. Where I come from, these were not ever seen.
Well that's because of the HEAT. Car interiors turn into OVENS very fast there. I had that problem even in Albuquerque coming from Upstate New York. My car would turn into an oven during the day and I couldn't even stand to get IN it until well after dark - good thing Wal-Marts are open 24 hours. Any time I wanted anything I'd have to wait until well after dark to go out; now I have a different car and it doesn't seem to change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces