Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:33 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,624,916 times

Advertisements

That is Dona Ana County for you. Will vote Democratic in most cases but is very much Conservative. Very Pro gun...Which isn't a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:55 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,188,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
My assumption is that had it been four years earlier and GWB was
about to do the same thing, a similar number of parents would be
doing the same thing. Different parents, however.

If I were a parent and I'm NOT thank-you-very-much, I would let Jr.
go and discuss it with him/her before and after if I was of the belief
that there was an attempted indoctrination going on.

How is the sprog ever going to learn critical thinking if they are continually
isolated from discussions, speaches, and arguments? I used to listen to
my parents political views and anytime I heard stuff like that, I used to
try to relate what I was hearing to what they told me was their view.

It's like opting out of gym class for fear of getting hurt or losinga game.
You may be right about your first paragraph...I'm sure someone has researched whether there was a hue and cry about HW or Ronnie addressing schoolkids. I don't remember any fuss, but I certainly could have forgotten or overlooked in the first place.
Your last two paragraphs are completely correct, and go to the same point: why would a parent NOT let a kid hear and see all manner of political thought and expression, especially when it comes from the Oval Office, even if the parent disagrees. To "protect" them from some message that may corrupt their poor little brains? There's more than enough corruption thrown at kids every day...they're not that stupid.

Unless, of course, they've been shielded, protected, coddled, and otherwise kept from contact with the real world and haven't developed any kind of a BS detector.
I watched a bit of Fox News reporting on the School Speech controversy, and my BS detector was going off like mad. It's such a non-issue, I can't believe they're devoting so much time to it.
Ah, whatever...tomorrow it will be some other hair-on-fire bit o' nonsense.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,360 times
The Progressive Voter Alliance meets 224 September at 7 PM at the Munson Senior Center. Join the group.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:19 AM

9,384 posts, read 20,873,630 times
I am going to post something that some might find shocking here: I come from New Jersey, am fiscally very conservative, but socially moderate to liberal, and feel VERY, VERY out of place here, politically. I have what amounts to a different political philosophy, and realized after living here about a year that I was very much a political lone wolf. I actually feel more comfortable politically in New Jersey. Every person I know here, when it comes to fiscal matters, thinks the government should do for them, and provide. To me, that amounts to a political school of thought that is completely antithetical to mine. I'd be happy to introduce these folks to you, if you want to feel more politically in line with your neighbors.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,110,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl
You may be right about your first paragraph ...
... hue and cry about HW or Ronnie addressing schoolkids.
I don't remember any fuss, ...
I don't remember any fuss about that either.

I was just supposing that things have gotten more polarized and that
while Bush I or Reagan could have gotten away with a speech, Clinton
or Bush II - just like Obama - would have raised a stink with SOMEONE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl
I watched a bit of Fox News ... BS detector was going off ...
Mine does no matter what news I'm watching.

I don't think that excuses being uninformed.

So many people say "I don't watch/read the news because it has such a
liberal/conservative bias."

I watch it with my "BS detector" on and try to learn what happened and
not worry too much about the commentary - whether I agree with their
bias or not.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:53 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,684,075 times
Mike -- Texas is right next door. Perhaps you'll fit in there.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:39 AM

9,384 posts, read 20,873,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Mike -- Texas is right next door. Perhaps you'll fit in there.
'
I am not so sure, when it comes to El Paso. The same 'welfare/WIC/food stamp/section 8' mentality exists in that county, to be sure. Another thing about the conservative areas of Texas, they tend to be socially conservative as well. Arguably, suburban Phoenix is probably more up my alley, politically. But, there are too many people in that area, very congested. So, beggars can't be choosers. I'll have to cope where I am at now, or succumb to the city, such as Phoenix or San Diego, where the political climate is more favorable.

I guess what I am trying to say Lawmom, is that politics shouldn't really be a determing factor as to where you live. I made that mistake (at least in part) leaving New Jersey, and learned my lesson since. The real determining factors are what's best for you and your family, economically, as well as socially. I mean this from a standpoint of family and friends. There are some days when I miss them and wish I could spend more time with them. Politics shouldn't really enter into personal matters such as these.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:30 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,684,075 times
Oh, I know! And we do have conservative friends -- but I am pretty certain that they didn't barrage us with their viewpoints within 20 minutes of meeting them...

Old 09-11-2009, 01:09 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,709,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I am going to post something that some might find shocking here: I come from New Jersey, am fiscally very conservative, but socially moderate to liberal, and feel VERY, VERY out of place here, politically. I have what amounts to a different political philosophy, and realized after living here about a year that I was very much a political lone wolf. I actually feel more comfortable politically in New Jersey. Every person I know here, when it comes to fiscal matters, thinks the government should do for them, and provide. To me, that amounts to a political school of thought that is completely antithetical to mine. I'd be happy to introduce these folks to you, if you want to feel more politically in line with your neighbors.
And a lot of those in this area are probably on the socially conservative side.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:47 PM

8 posts, read 21,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I'm not shocked at all! I live in VT near VT Yankee (the oldest nuclear plant in the country which is folding up like an accordian with every day! We have a Republican Governor. People think they're progressive here. But listening in on conversations among people. Now that's an INCREDIBLY SHOCKING EXPERIENCE!!

VT Yankee may not be closed. leakin' rustin' old crikity VT Yankee may go on another 20 years.

And people are mad because we're "throwing money" at Haiti. They think it's a hopeless country. But if they would do some homework, they'd know they used to grow their own rice, make their own cement ...... until their democratically elected president (Aristede..spelled wrong!) was ousted twice by Daddy Bush and Bill Clinton. The first thing he was going to do was raise their minimum wage. Oh, yeah, France and us are super countries. Now they import rice and cement when they should be exporting. These wonderfully brave people executed the first and last successful slave revolt. And then they had to actually pay France for their freedom. It makes me crazy! I can't get my head around it!!! Oh sure, they're Progressive here.

Sorry to go on so!!

HOPE YOU DON'T LEAVE!!! No one said intellience, love, compassion, equality, etc. would be popular or easy. Read a Howard Zinn book and you'll feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces