Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:03 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times

Advertisements

We may be moving from a modest 1500sf house on El Paso's west side to Las Cruces - preferably near NMSU but I believe LC is small enough that it doesn't really matter. No kids so local schooling isn't an issue. The plan is to rent or buy a 1 level suburban house. What are the good/bad & expensive/inexpensive areas of town?

Last edited by Gary Siete; 09-15-2009 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 05:05 PM

22 posts, read 132,415 times
Two words: Dripping Springs. That's the only place to live in LC. Check it out. University east to Dripping Springs Rd. Right on Soledad Canyon. Take your pic!

Old 09-15-2009, 09:26 PM

29 posts, read 71,523 times
How far is Dripping Springs from WSMR? Are there rentals there or only homes to purchase? Thanks.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:00 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
Dripping Springs looks nice but overall pricey- but there is one there for $214000 - not on city water?.

"soledad canyon rd" in Las Cruces Real Estate & Las Cruces Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Old 09-16-2009, 05:47 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
We went to look at that area, and found it was not for us. Too remote, the houses (in our opinion) looked like they were just randomly placed -- no general feel of the area to us.

But obviously it's a matter of personal taste.

But we also will not likely stay in Sonoma Ranch, either. I'd like a but more space.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:24 AM

22 posts, read 132,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Dripping Springs looks nice but overall pricey- but there is one there for $214000 - not on city water?.

"soledad canyon rd" in Las Cruces Real Estate & Las Cruces Homes For Sale — Trulia.com
Overall pricey? Hmm...minimum two acre lot size, no nosy neighbors with screaming kids, front-row seat view of the Organs, so quiet at night you can hear the coyotes yelping. Perhaps I should raise the price of my home (I'm on a paved road with city water)!

P.S. - That ad says "Moongate Water". Moongate is the water district that serves our area, so yes...it has "city" water, just not "City of Las Cruces".

Old 09-18-2009, 12:06 PM

7 posts, read 26,206 times
Sonoma Ranch area is suburban enough, not too far from nmsu and on the way to WSMR.

I personally don't like it, too cookie cutter, etc. I live in the downtown area, it has character and is centrally located. It allows me to ride my bike everywhere for everything.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:32 AM

130 posts, read 297,093 times
Default Wherer to live in Las Cruces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Autonomist View Post
Sonoma Ranch area is suburban enough, not too far from nmsu and on the way to WSMR.

I personally don't like it, too cookie cutter, etc. I live in the downtown area, it has character and is centrally located. It allows me to ride my bike everywhere for everything.
- - - - - - - - -

I'm curious to know the description of "downtown" Las Cruces. I looked at google earth and it looks like downtown means sprawling mall. Is that correct? I too am looking to move having just retired, but I'm not interested in buying but renting. And since I see from doing research that Las Cruces has some really spacious apartments at very modest prices (at least compared to Pasadena, CA), I can even live there and not work. But not working for me doesn't mean not doing anything. So I'd like to know if downtown has (1) livable apartment rentals; (2) is walking distance to grocery stores or food shops, a book shop, art workshops and the like, etc. I'm also interested in food markets, being a "foodie." I don't want to buy or own a car, so walking will be my mode of transport. I will rent a car when I really need one. One forum member said I would need a car. If I have to buy a car, there are other more vibrant places to consider. That really dissuaded me from considering Las Cruces as my new hometown. Say it ain't so. Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:50 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
My opinion is that Albuquerque would be much better for the kind of living you describe. "Downtown" in LC is not what I, at least, typically consider a downtown. There is a great bookstore there, Coas, and some restaurants. I think the farmers market is still near there though it moved. I'm not sure about grocery stores -- none come to mind within walking distance but I am sure others know more about the general area.

Just my opinion, and based on a short 5 months here, and I don't live in that area of LC. So my opinion is probably ill-informed!

Old 01-09-2010, 01:35 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post
- - - - - - - - -

I'm curious to know the description of "downtown" Las Cruces. I looked at google earth and it looks like downtown means sprawling mall. Is that correct? I too am looking to move having just retired, but I'm not interested in buying but renting. And since I see from doing research that Las Cruces has some really spacious apartments at very modest prices (at least compared to Pasadena, CA), I can even live there and not work. But not working for me doesn't mean not doing anything. So I'd like to know if downtown has (1) livable apartment rentals; (2) is walking distance to grocery stores or food shops, a book shop, art workshops and the like, etc. I'm also interested in food markets, being a "foodie." I don't want to buy or own a car, so walking will be my mode of transport. I will rent a car when I really need one. One forum member said I would need a car. If I have to buy a car, there are other more vibrant places to consider. That really dissuaded me from considering Las Cruces as my new hometown. Say it ain't so. Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
There is no sprawling mall 'downtown.' There is, as lawmom noted, a wonderful book store, many art galleries, the Las Cruces art museum, the Branigan Cultural Center, the Rio Grande, Black Box and another theater, the Branigan Library and several other points of interest.

There is a supermarket (Albertson's) not too far from the Mesquite historical district,which is considered 'downtown', as well as Mountain View food co-op, and Pro's Ranch Market is due to open some time this year in the same general area.

I'm of the opinion that any city can be a walkable city - it just depends on how far a walk you consider acceptable. There are city buses that service the corridor from El Paseo to Main Street, which might provide enough of an alternative that you wouldn't need to rent a car all that often.

That being said, I wouldn't live here without a car, but I know people do.
Las Cruces is plenty vibrant for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces