Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 AM

7 posts, read 27,135 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving to Las Cruces in the Fall of 2010. My wife was a professional dancer in Philadelphia (African and Modern), but will be studying fulltime at NMSU.

Does anyone have any recommendations for adult dance classes in Cruces? She is not looking to dance professionally at this point, but would like to take dance classes at an advanced level. Though she is an African and Modern dancer, she is open to any types of dance (Latin, Bellydancing, Contemporary, Flamenco, etc) ...Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 01:59 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Good luck. LC is, and has always been seriously lacking in good adult dance classes due to lack of interest. Dona Ana Branch community programs once had some decent short non-traditional dance classes. Various instructors have attempted to start up studios/classes but insufficient interest and unmotivated students shut them down. I have always traveled to El Paso for classes. NMSU has a dance degree program with some excellent classes which your wife may find appropriate.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 AM

7 posts, read 27,135 times
Default Dance Classes

Thanks LivingDeadGirl! My internet research has been bringing up a bunch of big fat zeros in Las Cruces, just as you explained. Any particular studios in El Paso that you would recommend me checking out???

Thanks Again.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:55 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Default El Paso Dance options

It's been a few years since I've taken lessons in EP but Shundo is great for ballroom, the best belly dance teacher is Soraya on Monatana, and i am seeing in the EP phone book, some studios advertsing Latin Dance. Of course, there are a large number of ballet studios. There were a couple of Russian ballet dancers (male) who settled in EP a few yrs ago that were tremendous! But i don't know if they are still there or which studio they may be affiliated with. Flamenco may be an option in EP and in Las Cruces since the NMSU dance program offers several classes in that area. For what is called Ballet Folklorico, here in LC is a tremendously fine man, Jose Tena, that I studied with. I haven't seen much about him recently and can only hope he is still around and teaching. But I don't know. Unfortunately, for older adults who were former professional dancers, it is extremely frustrating to have no opportunity to continue classes at least to maintain our health and to continue to move to music. Oh well, at least we have the memories.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 5,069 times
Try Mesilla Valley Dance for adult dance classes in Las Cruces(mesillavalleydance.webs.com).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces