Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,455 times

Advertisements

I am 24 and currently live in Seattle, WA and am looking into moving to Las Cruces in the spring 2010. Although Seattle is by no means a "fashion-savvy" city, they still have fashion events such as their own fashion weeks and runway events. And, Seattle is only slightly behind on fashion trends and such when it comes to what Seattlites are wearing vs the more trendier cities such as LA or NY.

From what I've seen and read so far, Las Cruces seems to not be very...um..."fashion-oriented". Besides the mall, is there really no other fashion interests in the area? What about in El Paso or other near by cities?

Is there anyone around my age from LC who could give me an idea of what styles of clothes people are wearing down there? Also, anyone (any age) who has a high level of interest in fashion that lives there? Can you tell me what you do in that area with your fashion interests?

I'm not trying to offend anyone's fashion sense or style, I hope I haven't. I've just never been there and won't be able to go down and check it out until Feb or March 2010. I'm just trying to get a feel for how much a personal hobby of mine is incorporated in that area.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 12:21 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,752,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmbrb View Post
I am 24 and currently live in Seattle, WA and am looking into moving to Las Cruces in the spring 2010. Although Seattle is by no means a "fashion-savvy" city, they still have fashion events such as their own fashion weeks and runway events. And, Seattle is only slightly behind on fashion trends and such when it comes to what Seattlites are wearing vs the more trendier cities such as LA or NY.

From what I've seen and read so far, Las Cruces seems to not be very...um..."fashion-oriented". Besides the mall, is there really no other fashion interests in the area? What about in El Paso or other near by cities?

Is there anyone around my age from LC who could give me an idea of what styles of clothes people are wearing down there? Also, anyone (any age) who has a high level of interest in fashion that lives there? Can you tell me what you do in that area with your fashion interests?

I'm not trying to offend anyone's fashion sense or style, I hope I haven't. I've just never been there and won't be able to go down and check it out until Feb or March 2010. I'm just trying to get a feel for how much a personal hobby of mine is incorporated in that area.

Thanks in advance!
Hoping that someone from our university community will respond, however, in the meantime, I would describe LC as purposely laid-back fashion-wise, though probably typical for a university town.
There are some fashion events - mostly for charity or benefit purposes - but LC is not a fashion 'mecca' by any means. There are several 'vintage' and thrift shops, boutiques and chains like Hollister, PacSun, Wet Seal and Charlotte Russe (the mall definitely 'skews' younger) and we have a Dillard's, though the selection there is limited compared to the one in El Paso.
There is certainly a wider variety of choices in El Paso - there is a Macy's, Coldwater Creek and so on.
Hope this helps

Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 PM

29 posts, read 71,700 times
I was there in early Sept and I didn't see anyone in dress clothes or anything unique. Mostly jeans, flip-flops or tennis shoes, and tee-shirts. I went to a nicer restaurant and some of the younger girls (20's) had on heels with their jeans and I saw an elderly spanish looking woman who was in a nice dress with heels. Not any bad dressers, just not any upscale.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:41 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,108,650 times
I believe there are 2 worlds in Las Cruces: those who dress like the homeless and those who dress extremely well. But I haven't figured out where those who dress well, hang out. We have Dillards, a large dept store that is a bit better than JC Penny's. But all they have are big sizes. If you are petite (size 2-3) you will have to go to El Paso to shop. I like Macy's in El Paso. They consistently have well-made, fashionable clothing, at decent prices. Dillards in El Paso is just plain obscene in their pricing. They cater to the rich Mexicans from over the border. Hot Topic in the Mesilla Valley Mall has some great clothing in smaller sizes. They tend toward the gothic but still, very nice things. For the most part, in Las Cruces, people usually wear jeans everywhere.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:44 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,752,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I believe there are 2 worlds in Las Cruces: those who dress like the homeless and those who dress extremely well. But I haven't figured out where those who dress well, hang out. We have Dillards, a large dept store that is a bit better than JC Penny's. But all they have are big sizes. If you are petite (size 2-3) you will have to go to El Paso to shop. I like Macy's in El Paso. They consistently have well-made, fashionable clothing, at decent prices. Dillards in El Paso is just plain obscene in their pricing. They cater to the rich Mexicans from over the border. Hot Topic in the Mesilla Valley Mall has some great clothing in smaller sizes. They tend toward the gothic but still, very nice things. For the most part, in Las Cruces, people usually wear jeans everywhere.
LOL - I was in there the other day and I felt like I'd been transported back east to Nordstrom's or Bloomingdales or yes, even Macy's in NYC/NJ looking at some of those prices.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:27 AM

7 posts, read 26,290 times
Not in Cruces, but I've been to runway shows in DT El Paso. There are many bars/clubs/lounges that strictly enforce dress codes. Actually, I've been denied service at Cafe Central (EP) because I had jeans. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces