Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:45 AM

6 posts, read 8,934 times

Advertisements

We have been in NW Montana for 15 years-moved here from southern California and grew up in long island New York.......I am trying to find a second home in a warm place near the ocean (miss the coast!) that is not over-populated like the northwest but is safe to bring the kids since we are not retirement age yet (40's). I have a timeshare in Cabo but not wanting to leave the country every vacation. What do you think of New Mexico????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 12:03 PM

9,379 posts, read 20,816,655 times
Ironically, almost all the 'second home' owner communities, when it comes to New Mexico, are located in cooler climates. Taos, Santa Fe and Ruidoso (maybe Cloudcroft too) come to mind. New Mexico is not what would be considered from an overall standpoint to be a 'warm weather' state, because of its altitude, much of the state more resembles a lot of Colorado, when it comes to weather. The southern third of the state where you get a taste of warmer weather in the winter, towns are not what most would identify as second home communities.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:32 PM

great input on weather- what would be the warmest on the coastline in New Mexico ? ...A second home could be anything ...open to all ideas and other states,just want to feel warmer than a long Montana winter!!! and not be in a city ......almost tempted to just move to Mexico.......Any suggestions?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:43 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,638,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamamma View Post
great input on weather- what would be the warmest on the coastline in New Mexico ? ...A second home could be anything ...open to all ideas and other states,just want to feel warmer than a long Montana winter!!! and not be in a city ......almost tempted to just move to Mexico.......Any suggestions?
Montanamamma,

New Mexico doesn't have an ocean next to it as it's between Texas and Arizona in the desert southwest as i think that your confusing it with Mexico possibly?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:56 PM

9,379 posts, read 20,816,655 times
Quote:
Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) possibly. That's on the coast of the Gulf of California.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:15 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,919,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) possibly. That's on the coast of the Gulf of California.
Oh my. This thread would make a good story for New Mexico Magazine's monthly page titled "One of Our 50 is Missing!"

It reminds me of another thread where someone was asking about "beaches" of NM.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:45 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,253,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Oh my. This thread would make a good story for New Mexico Magazine's monthly page titled "One of Our 50 is Missing!"
I always look forward to "One of Our 50 is Missing". I always get a few good laughs when reading it every month.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:38 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,182,265 times
Quote:
We're still waiting on "The Big One" earthquake, where California and Arizona drop into the Pacific, to get some coastline in New Mexico....
That might screw up your timeshare in Cabo, though...
It's a great, but dry, state. The Mesilla Valley is a great place to winter, not exactly warm but nice n sunny an temperate, but if you need "warm" you might need to look over in AZ.
Come visit next winter and see.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:47 PM

180 posts, read 457,474 times
If you want a beach, check out Elephant Butte (pronounced the same as Butte, MT!)

Old 03-18-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Montanamamma,

New Mexico doesn't have an ocean next to it as it's between Texas and Arizona in the desert southwest as i think that your confusing it with Mexico possibly?
I was trying to find the straightest and shortest run from Montana to a southwestern state and still be able to visit-drive to the closest ocean from there....would that be towards Texas or the gulf in Arizona?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces