Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 11:59 PM

38 posts, read 79,028 times

Advertisements

Hello, so I'm back with another thread. The past few weeks we've been seeing alot of centipedes and scorpians in our house. Definitely something I do not enjoy, but I was wondering what kind these are. Are they life threatening? They're so tiny and camoflauge quite easily with our tile and carpet it's incredibly hard to see them. If one were to get stung by a scorpion how do you treat it? I'd appreciate any help, or how you all keep the creepy crawlies out. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 04:22 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,610 times
Scorpions in Las Cruces are not deadly, such as the ones in AZ are. The bite of either the scorpion or centipede is not pleasant and could be harmful to pets, babies, old folks, sick folks. So.... I'd recommend spraying/exterminator when you see these critters indoors. I buy Ortho's Home Defense and spray baseboards in all rooms indoors, then perimeter of the entire house when I see these critters. If you have dogs, keep a sharp eye for ticks and use Frontline as canine erlichea IS here in Dona Ana county and it KILLS within a day or so.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:03 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
There are approximately 80 species of scorpions in the United States and about 17 species of scorpions are found in various parts of New Mexico. Here are two websites regarding scorpions in New Mexico. Interesting reading like "From one website Spiders and scorpions and other such desert dwellers aren't really as scary as most people think, according to Hyder. "More people are killed by vending machines or Christmas trees than those who are bitten by black widows," ":
New Mexico Scorpion World

Desert Exposure Scorpion King Paul Hyder July 2005

Old 06-17-2012, 06:51 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,459,683 times
Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes etc. will have Ortho Home Defense. Spray around baseboards, doors, windows, garage doors, & cracks twice a year. It will be effective that long. I also like Real Kill (at Lowes) that attacks the bug's nervous system and works faster. Careful inside if you have pets.

If centipedes and scorpions are inside your house then check everywhere for gaps and cracks - esp. under doors and around windows and garage doors. Use duct tape for a low cost but ugly solution. Scorpion stings are like bee stings - everyone reacts differently but for most it's not serious. Wash it, cold compresses, & call poison control for advice or see a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces