Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:56 AM

10 posts, read 20,080 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to LC and have some questions. I have been looking through prior posts as well as using google but not quite finding what I am looking for so I will just ask.

If someone could compare this area to another known city what would it be? Example, San Diego....Tucson....Phoenix

I have been looking for information on the elementary schools. Are they over crowded? How many is in the city? What age do they accept children for kindergarten? How is the education ranked compared to national average or....anything?

What about activities for children...or anyone? For example, I have my children in tap/dance class now but would eventually like them to take up an instrument, horseback riding, swimming lessons, youth sports leagues....Are things like this available here as well? What about for adults? Would I be able to find bowling alleys, game fun centers, movie theaters, clubs/bars...things like that?

I have viewed that the population is mostly Hispanic but what about the minorities? What about African Americans, Asians and other races? Is this area really diverse where there is more biracial couples or where race isn't an issue? Is there a race that is "looked down" upon? I have to ask because there are still places where certain people get treated differently.

I also read the food is great but not much info on what type of food this great food is. Do they have regular chain restaurants or is it more mom and pop shops?

What about regular stores...Target...I see there is a Walmart but what about Costco, Food City, Safeway, etc. I am trying to get a view of the area as well as an idea on where I would be shopping at.

I am a bit worried on the crime here. I saw some posts and not sure if it is a concerned or nothing more than random kid pranks. I understand that crime is everywhere...but I have lived in San Diego, Tuscon, New York...and I can say...that certain areas have more crime as well as different types of crime.

I am assuming due to population that this area is a small town feel city and would like to know if there is anything in particular that is big..example...sports or a particular sport or is it more into the arts and drama/plays....any information would help.

Another issue is rent. I am trying to find places to rent. I am not seeing much. Are there just typically apartments to rent or are there homes? What is a typical price range for a house of at least 1400sqft? I know that with the economy home sales have hurt. Has this area been in the same slump? Are there many homes for sale and just not that many renters anymore?

Jobs....is this an issue? I saw that pay isn't very good in this area? Would it be hard to find a job out there? Is there anything that always is hiring? Some areas are known to do great for health care professionals or chefs...anything in particular that this area hires for? Where do you find the listings?

How is the weather/climate? Is it like Tucson? Does it snow? What is considered "bad" weather? Is the ground more like dirt or sand? With homes would you see more grass or more rock yards?

I am gathering that the only thing I need to worry about is snakes and scorpions? Are there any other things I should worry about...coyotes or anything that I may look twice about especially with small children?

Anyone been in this area for a long time? Have you seen a growth greatly within the last two years or maybe 10? Is this small city turning into a busy one within the next couple years?

I know these are a lot of questions but I figured I would throw it out there and ask people who are already living in the area. I hope I don't offend anyone with my questions....I have never been to NM and know nothing about the area. I have lived in huge cities where you can find anything within 15 minutes to tiny towns that don't even have a cab company or Walmart....and know that certain things do not come standard. I live in an area now where there is no bowling alley and only one movie theater. Any information is greatly appreciated.....I would like to know as much as I can from you all...especially from people who live there now and have been there within the last 7 years....

Thanks for the help....I have been thinking about this for some time now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 09:53 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,649 times
If someone could compare this area to another known city what would it be? Example, San Diego....Tucson....Phoenix.

Tucson, 20-30 years ago when Tucson was nice. However, Las Cruces is a unique city with a rich history.

I have been looking for information on the elementary schools. Are they over crowded? How many is in the city? What age do they accept children for kindergarten? How is the education ranked compared to national average or....anything?

It has been a while since I worked in the Las Cruces Public School system. I do not know how it ranks now but I would say the schools are decent and your child will get an education.

What about activities for children...or anyone? For example, I have my children in tap/dance class now but would eventually like them to take up an instrument, horseback riding, swimming lessons, youth sports leagues....Are things like this available here as well? What about for adults? Would I be able to find bowling alleys, game fun centers, movie theaters, clubs/bars...things like that?

Yes, everything you ask about is available. Highschool Football is king in Las Cruces, then Aggie Basketball...

I have viewed that the population is mostly Hispanic but what about the minorities? What about African Americans, Asians and other races? Is this area really diverse where there is more biracial couples or where race isn't an issue? Is there a race that is "looked down" upon? I have to ask because there are still places where certain people get treated differently.

People are too laid back to care about race issues. Maybe some of the older hispanics will look down upon the African American race...but not to the point where it becomes an issue...

I also read the food is great but not much info on what type of food this great food is. Do they have regular chain restaurants or is it more mom and pop shops?

Both, but get ready from New Mexican food.

What about regular stores...Target...I see there is a Walmart but what about Costco, Food City, Safeway, etc. I am trying to get a view of the area as well as an idea on where I would be shopping at.

Costco's is in El Paso. There is a Sams club in Las Cruces. There are many grocery stores in Las Cruces. Albertson's being the best choice...No Food City as in the Food City you find in Phoenix. Safeway has been out of the area from a long time. Get ready for Green Chile season...the greatest season around..

I am a bit worried on the crime here. I saw some posts and not sure if it is a concerned or nothing more than random kid pranks. I understand that crime is everywhere...but I have lived in San Diego, Tuscon, New York...and I can say...that certain areas have more crime as well as different types of crime.

Auto theft jacks up Las Cruces Crime rates. Very safe city if you are not a car. Of course, murder, rape, and so on does occur like it occurs in any other city in the US.

I am assuming due to population that this area is a small town feel city and would like to know if there is anything in particular that is big..example...sports or a particular sport or is it more into the arts and drama/plays....any information would help.

Sports town. Dallas Cowboys, High school Football, and NMSU basketball...NMSU does have plays and art events. NMSU also draws the top concerts ever year...if not Las Cruces then down the road in El Paso. I have seen ever band from U2 to the Eagles come to Las Cruces or El Paso...

Another issue is rent. I am trying to find places to rent. I am not seeing much. Are there just typically apartments to rent or are there homes? What is a typical price range for a house of at least 1400sqft? I know that with the economy home sales have hurt. Has this area been in the same slump? Are there many homes for sale and just not that many renters anymore?

Not sure on this...you can find good deals I'm sure.

Jobs....is this an issue? I saw that pay isn't very good in this area? Would it be hard to find a job out there? Is there anything that always is hiring? Some areas are known to do great for health care professionals or chefs...anything in particular that this area hires for? Where do you find the listings?

Pay is low and good jobs are tough to get. Engineering, health care, law enforcement, and the educational field are your best bets...

How is the weather/climate? Is it like Tucson? Does it snow? What is considered "bad" weather? Is the ground more like dirt or sand? With homes would you see more grass or more rock yards?

It snows...but not much and it is gone by mid afternoon. You will have to adjust for the wind and dust...

you will find both grass and rock landscaping...

I am gathering that the only thing I need to worry about is snakes and scorpions? Are there any other things I should worry about...coyotes or anything that I may look twice about especially with small children?

If you go hiking or live on the city edges you need to be aware of snakes, scorpions, centipedes, and spiders. Coyotes and mountain lions are around but attacks on people is rare.

Anyone been in this area for a long time? Have you seen a growth greatly within the last two years or maybe 10? Is this small city turning into a busy one within the next couple years?

I was born and raised in Las Cruces (20 plus years) but now live in Surprise, Az. My mother, my Aunts...most of my family is still in Cruces so I visit quite often. Enough to know what is going on...

It has been a small city turning into a busy city from the past 20 years...

My advice is not to move to Las Cruces (or anywhere) until you have had the chance to visit.

Las Cruces is different...New Mexico in fact is different. The Hispanic culture is dominant and I'm not really talking about Mexican when I say Hispanic....more of a mix between Spanish, Indian, Mexican, and American...Many families in New Mexico can trace their roots to the Spanish conquistadors...

I do not mean this in a bad way....in fact this is a wonderful mix of culture but you need to be aware of it.

Politically, New Mexico is all over the place. We vote for Obama and Richardson but are for guns and against abortion (in general..not all).

Religion is strong. Catholic and Christian (Apostolic and Pentecostal).

Lastly, New Mexico is the Land of Mañana...meaning the Land of Tomorrow...meaning things will get done when it gets done...nothing is rushed and people move at their own pace. It will be the hardest thing to get used to if you come from a big city...

Last edited by ibarrio; 12-17-2008 at 10:12 AM..

Old 12-17-2008, 09:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Here are a few links that might help answer some of your questions:

Greater Las Cruces Chamber of Commerce Home Page

City of Las Cruces - Home

Las Cruces Public School District

Las Cruces Safe City

Las Cruces, New Mexico facts & figures

https://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...s-Economy.html

Old 12-17-2008, 02:34 PM

10 posts, read 20,080 times
Thank you for that detailed information. It really did help me a lot. I also appreciate those links. I have looked at some of them already as well as even called the chamber and asked questions but the person I spoke...even though they were very nice and answered my questions...I wasn't quite sure if they were selling me the area and some questions I still felt quite lost on.

With my experience I can look up all I want and feel like I understand everything...but there is nothing better than word of mouth. I want to hear from people who actually live there not just read what someone with great writing skills place on a website or wonderful pictures that are taken.

I had a really good vibe already from those sites that you listed. I hadn't seen all of them thank you. I want to say I am used to that kind of Mexican/Hispanic theme/vibe considering I have lived outside of Tuscon in a small town....and sounds like smaller than LC...so I do like the idea of being in a somewhat larger area.

My main concern is my children. I actually love that it has the western/Hispanic culture going since my children are biracial....and I am trying my best that they learn and understand who they are. I am really looking forward to embracing that. I know I can't shelter them forever and there are mean people everywhere but I just don't want to go into an area where you fall back 50 years...if you know what I mean.

I also have a business doing custom apparel...t-shirt printing...etc and personalized gifts...unique gifts like name meaning and photo ornaments...do you think I can survive locally? I am seeing the mall wouldn't be a good place to open up shop....is it just the mall? Should I try to find leasing on a main strip or is it just hard for different businesses to open there period? Oh...and is there any shops like that there now? Do they have to travel to get custom t-shirts made?

Again, thank you for the replies. I feel a bit better. I also will try to make a commute out that way if possible. I am looking to move very soon so if I can spare the extra money and go for a day or two I will take your advice.

Bless you all.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:55 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Glad some of the links were useful. I used them as a first stop when I was looking into the area and still find them helpful from time to time

I agree that it is also helpful to get 'real, live, testimonials' too, and I am the first person to say that I think that Las Cruces is a wonderful place to live, though of course I am quite biased now.
I am biracial, and I have never felt so at home anywhere as I do here.

I think you could definitely find a market for your t-shirts, etc. - when you visit, you have to make a point to be here on a Saturday or Wednesday so that you can see the Farmer's Market. Local goods are well-supported here.

Best of luck with your new hometown search

Old 12-18-2008, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,582 times
Hi,
I am an native of Las Cruces. My father was a physician here in town for 30+ years. I am also a Realtor here. It is a fantastic city to raise a family. I have 3 small children. If you would like to receive a relocation package I can send it out to you. It has a ton of information about the area as well as some local magazines that give a good feel for the local flavor. You can also visit our website at www.homesforsaleinlascruces.com

Old 12-18-2008, 05:45 PM

5 posts, read 15,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmama4 View Post

I know these are a lot of questions but I figured I would throw it out there and ask people who are already living in the area. I hope I don't offend anyone with my questions....I have never been to NM and know nothing about the area. I have lived in huge cities where you can find anything within 15 minutes to tiny towns that don't even have a cab company or Walmart....and know that certain things do not come standard. I live in an area now where there is no bowling alley and only one movie theater. Any information is greatly appreciated.....I would like to know as much as I can from you all...especially from people who live there now and have been there within the last 7 years....

Thanks for the help....I have been thinking about this for some time now.
I've been a resident of Las Cruces for almost 2 years now and I WOULD NOT recommend moving to Las Cruces under any circumstance.

What you don't see in the nice postcard landscape images on the main city page is the grotesque urban sprawl that dominates this town. There's nothing but ugly, worthless strip malls, big box stores and soulless suburbs (far away from the scary brown people, of course). It's an eyesore. No wonder there's no pictures of the actual town on the page. Any sense of regional art or civic design is entirely absent from Las Cruces. It is a town built for cars, and therefore not worth caring very much about.

The city has absolutely failed in creating a sustainable, smart growth boundary and just spread all over the map in no direction whatsoever. The city has less than 1800 people per square mile. That means a pathetic use of space and self-impoverishing sprawl that is destructive and future-less.

The city's poor use of single-use zoning and crappy architecture is self-impoverishing. This is the poorest community in the US that has a university of any size, yet the city's laziness in planning is forcing nearly every resident to own an automobile as a requirement for citizenship (at an extreme cost for someone living paycheck to paycheck). The necessity to own an automobile is an economic barrier and prevents people from participating in civic life. It also promotes the sprawling crapola I've described above and demotes the absolutely beautiful Hispanic culture that is desperately trying to thrive here. This city's laziness also prevents economic development for these same reasons.

Towns like Las Cruces have a very grim future in the upcoming energy crisis. It's energy gluttony and grotesque sprawl have no future. DO NOT MOVE HERE.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:36 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,202 times
Tee hee hee...Voodoo Pork, you should join me over at the Sun News [domain blocked due to spam] forum - it's much more hostile than City Data. The true intellect of the average Las Crucen rears its retarded head in the comments on daily news articles.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
If your kids like activities which involve good weather -- horseback riding for one, then it's a good place because the weather is about as good as weather can get. Not too hot, and not cold, almost every day is great for bicycling, hiking and riding horses.

As far as crime, the places you listed would be worse. There are a lot of stores in this area, and El Paso is close for more shopping.

Jobs can be an issue but it depends on what field. Pay is not as high as in other parts of the country but that can depend on the field.

The weather is better than Tucson's. It doesn't get very hot here, it rarely goes much over 100 degrees. It almost never snows.

Most homes don't have much for yards. Often you see rocks in the front which is nice as far as low maintenance and can be very attractive, and a small backyard, sometimes with some grass.

You almost have to look for snakes, you can go for years without ever seeing them. Scorpions are only in some areas and they aren't the deadly ones that Arizona has.

Coyotes can be a problem depending on where you live but more for small pets than for children, you rarely hear of any attacks on humans.

The area is growing very fast. Too fast I think but I guess that's just my opinion. The scenery can be awesome. There is skiing close by in the winter, there is some water, and the forest areas are wonderful for hiking and camping.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:50 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If your kids like activities which involve good weather -- horseback riding for one, then it's a good place because the weather is about as good as weather can get. Not too hot, and not cold, almost every day is great for bicycling, hiking and riding horses.

As far as crime, the places you listed would be worse. There are a lot of stores in this area, and El Paso is close for more shopping.

Jobs can be an issue but it depends on what field. Pay is not as high as in other parts of the country but that can depend on the field.

The weather is better than Tucson's. It doesn't get very hot here, it rarely goes much over 100 degrees. It almost never snows.

Most homes don't have much for yards. Often you see rocks in the front which is nice as far as low maintenance and can be very attractive, and a small backyard, sometimes with some grass.

You almost have to look for snakes, you can go for years without ever seeing them. Scorpions are only in some areas and they aren't the deadly ones that Arizona has.

Coyotes can be a problem depending on where you live but more for small pets than for children, you rarely hear of any attacks on humans.

The area is growing very fast. Too fast I think but I guess that's just my opinion. The scenery can be awesome. There is skiing close by in the winter, there is some water, and the forest areas are wonderful for hiking and camping.
Great post Malamute .

As you know i gave you 4 rep points !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces