Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:12 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,187,820 times

Advertisements

You can find a very nice house in a good neighborhood for under 1k., and quality things to occupy/educate your kids shouldn't be hard to find, though I'm short on specifics (beyond kid raising years here) of where to send you, etc.
Do come visit, and best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:43 AM

32 posts, read 150,054 times
There's tons of stuff for kids to do. Over the years, mine has taken part in all of the following activities at one time or another: kindermusik, guitar lessons, soccer league, gymnastics classes, hip-hop classes, swimming lessons, science enrichment camp. There is also theater for children, other kinds of sports lessons and leagues (baseball, tennis, football), scouting, and on and on.

The schools are widely variable. For whatever reason, the "best" schools in terms of performance and funding are those that have the largest proportion of Anglos as a percentage of the student body.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:51 AM

13 posts, read 33,348 times
I am also looking to relocate to L.C. Coming from the north east.I am retired and wife is semi re.Is there any sections of LC to stay away from?Meaning North,South,East or West.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:00 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,684,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccborg2 View Post
I am also looking to relocate to L.C. Coming from the north east.I am retired and wife is semi re.Is there any sections of LC to stay away from?Meaning North,South,East or West.
I'll let one of the regulars who live there answer you but to me West Picacho Ave on the west side looks shady.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:31 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,708,696 times
Err.. there's kind of "pockets" to stay away from really.

You'll do fine if you stick east of I-25... just not too far east along highway 70.. If you go north of highway 70, stay west of Sonoma Ranch Blvd.

There are plenty of other areas of town that are fine, but that's one of the easier ones to describe.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:56 AM

56 posts, read 162,305 times
There are pockets of places you wouldn't want to live. I will disagree with funkymonkey because I have 2 brothers, one who lives on 70 near Holman Rd and he has a nice house that's quiet and my other brother who lives near the Pat Garrett murder site (Billy the Kid era, relax ) and his neighborhood is very nice.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:52 PM

137 posts, read 475,656 times
TWIN MAMA 4, if you are still intersted in this discussion, please do not think the cynic has the definitive voice here.
There are MANY wonderful qualities of LC. I am recently here from overseas and consider Texas my home, although I am a native New Mexican, born in Santa Fe. I love to move and see new things, which is why it is hard for me to settle in one place. As I would do, I think you need to visit LC and see what makes it unique and what makes it a great place to live.
The views and outdoor activities are amazing. Get your kids out there and let them explore the area. Of course you should join them.
As an international teacher, I see the potential here for good schools, but there are problems that exist, just like in all other communities. I have seen some stellar teachers and I wish they had more support from other teachers/ principals/ parents. The best situation is when parents are involved and meet the teachers and visit the school to volunteer and be available. This is everywhere.
Shopping is fine in LC. As Malamut suggested, visit EP for more variety. It is small here, but there are places to visit and things to do. My biggest peeve might be the lack of grocery options, no Asian food stores, no herb/ spice shops, but I am a bit of a food junkie/ snob.
I've seen wildlife outside my door, but they are usually skittish and not something you need to worry about. I have seen coyote, and a rattlesnake, but like in other areas, respect and knowledge of animals is key.
There are some great nooks and crannies in the area that are worth learning about and worth your visit. LC is small and takes some time to get to know, but there is a lot that is fun, interesting, and worth the while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces