Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:59 PM

5 posts, read 15,389 times

Advertisements

Oh, I'll be there, buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,801,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Great post Malamute .

As you know i gave you 4 rep points !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks -- I know people who have traveled and lived in a number of places who will say that Las Cruces is the best place all-around to live.

It wouldn't be for everyone granted. For those who want the excitement of New York City, they shouldn't consider Las Cruces.

Las Cruces is great for the outdoors, for the mountains and deserts and the closeness of the big forests. You can become addicted to the big sky, the sunsets. It's a typical city of the SW which means it's sprawled, not a lot of highrises. It's for people who like to be somewhat spread out.

Myself, I couldn't live in Chicago or New York but I think they are interesting for all the museums, operas, ballets, fashion, tall buildings and on and on.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:00 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,662,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Thanks -- I know people who have traveled and lived in a number of places who will say that Las Cruces is the best place all-around to live.

It wouldn't be for everyone granted. For those who want the excitement of New York City, they shouldn't consider Las Cruces.

Las Cruces is great for the outdoors, for the mountains and deserts and the closeness of the big forests. You can become addicted to the big sky, the sunsets. It's a typical city of the SW which means it's sprawled, not a lot of highrises. It's for people who like to be somewhat spread out.

Myself, I couldn't live in Chicago or New York but I think they are interesting for all the museums, operas, ballets, fashion, tall buildings and on and on.

Lol....although there's sprawl in the east mesa there still is a hugely unpopulated area of Southern New Mexico, West Texas and Eastern Arizona where you can go 100's of miles and hardly see any population especially when compared to the florida east coast where i've lived before.

There's more people in the Albuquerque Metro than all of Southern New Mexico,

Old 12-20-2008, 02:30 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,617,623 times
The southwest has sprawl because it is cheaper to build out then up...

Old 12-21-2008, 02:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,801,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Lol....although there's sprawl in the east mesa there still is a hugely unpopulated area of Southern New Mexico, West Texas and Eastern Arizona where you can go 100's of miles and hardly see any population especially when compared to the florida east coast where i've lived before.

There's more people in the Albuquerque Metro than all of Southern New Mexico,
By sprawl I included the kind you see around here -- you have pockets of development but with space in between. In fact I think if building is done right considering the arroyos and the mountains, there will be that kind of sprawl. Between neighborhoods, there can be open space, even natural space with wild habitat.

I don't like the sprawl that is just housing subdivision after housing subdivision, houses and buildings and pavement as far as your eyes can see, but we don't have that. We have low lying buildings that don't obstruct our vision, who wants skyscrapers and high rises blocking the view of the mountain or desert sunsets?

Out in the SW, when you drive through the night, it can be pretty spectacular when you approach a city. There is the mountain backdrop and the city spread out like a brilliant diamond necklace. When you come in from the West toward Las Cruces at night, it's a very beautiful sight. I don't really like cities and city lights but I do like how the lights look with the Organ mountains behind them. Or when you approach Albuquerque from the East when the sun is almost down. You have the still red and purple skies of the sunset, but the glittering lights lining the mountain base.

Or -- when you're up in the Gila Wilderness at night and you look out over the vast openness and off in the distance you see the cities, or you see the lights of the cities -- they look like glowing spots out there, kind of oval glowing spots is all they look like -- way off in the distance so they don't obscure the pitch black darkness on a moonless night.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:35 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,662,772 times
I'll never forget when my family and i would go camping at ''City of the Rocks'' out between Deming and Silver City and to this day i've never seen so many stars in the sky. You could also here the Coyotes howl in the distance just before sunrise as it was an awesome experience .

Old 01-04-2009, 09:04 AM

134 posts, read 318,559 times
I'm thinking about moving to Las Cruces and this thread has been very helpful. I've driven through it once or twice but never spent much time there (except to eat at La Posta in Mesilla). The Organ mountains look beautiful and I'd like to come and explore it a bit more.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:10 PM

28 posts, read 86,606 times
Before you move your family to LC, check with the police for crime report and the gang problem.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,185,387 times
twinmama, Ibarrio and Malamute have pretty much answered your questions, and now you know also that there is at least one person here who hates being here but loves to be swaddled in bitter loathing and negativity. I often wonder what's wrong with people who can't get it together to leave someplace they hate so much???
I bid you welcome and wish you well....but I must say you'd be a fool to move here without visiting at least once for some significant amount of time. I'm sure having two kiddos makes that complicated, but not as complicated as moving somewhere and realizing you've made a mistake.
Come check it out.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:46 PM

10 posts, read 20,113 times
Thank you for your comments...I am torn period. I just want a fresh start where I can get a decent job and a decent education for my kids who will start elementary. I would like them to stay busy with things to do that are positive...dance...piano...sports. I would like to be able to find a house to rent for under 1k....I know I am asking for a lot and probably want what most parents want....I am actually willing to go anywhere. I will compare this place to Alb or even Tucson....Everything does sound so tempting. I do know the Southwest isn't for everyone....I for one came from the east coast..new york/Ct area...then moved to San Diego so very spoiled. Have been to Az as well. Like I said...just trying to focus on the main issue...providing for my kids and giving them the education they need. As long as I can keep them busy with activities...I will be happy...plus sometimes those not so big towns can be helpful...I have a custom apparel business and think I would have a good shot in a growing community....again thank you all for your time....back to researching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces