Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:54 PM

101 posts, read 289,185 times

Advertisements

OK hi Vegans. I am looking to live currently in Las Vegas or Atlanta. I lived in Las Vegas earlier this year for about a month on a business assignment, however that assignment ended and now I am out of work. I also love Atlanta, because I have family there. Between the two places can you please give me a non-bias opinion on which on you would move to. If it helps I am married and have two children ages 9 and 5 and my husband and I are 29 and 28 respectively.

Also Vegans you may know of a place better then Vegas or Atlanta that is doing good right now in the current economy. IF you do please give me feedback on that also, but if you could also answer Vegas or Atlanta I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for your feedback and please help I'm desperate.

Last edited by KylaY12345; 06-27-2010 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Wanted to change the title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 01:06 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
You could not pay me enough to live in Atlanta. I would go with Las Vegas by far.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:55 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
i don't like atlanta, but the job situation is not good here either.. we are the highest in the nation....

Old 06-28-2010, 02:36 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
There is a beef jerky trailer between Vegas and Pahrump doing good business from what I can tell. Is it a barometer for our economy at large? Who knows?

You will seldom, if ever, get an unbiased opinion on this or any other message board. Vegas jobs are in the doldrums, but my opinion is biased towards the numbers and I'm not in a mood to focus on the 85% of people who are working.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:34 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
There is a beef jerky trailer between Vegas and Pahrump doing good business from what I can tell. Is it a barometer for our economy at large? Who knows?

You will seldom, if ever, get an unbiased opinion on this or any other message board. Vegas jobs are in the doldrums, but my opinion is biased towards the numbers and I'm not in a mood to focus on the 85% of people who are working.
Spraynard, that guy has shut down the business (at least at that intersection). The signs that held the flags indicating that he was open are knocked down. I was there last week visiting clients and it was like he was never there, shame as I wanted to try out the ostrich jerky.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:38 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylaY12345 View Post
OK hi Vegans. I am looking to live currently in Las Vegas or Atlanta. I lived in Las Vegas earlier this year for about a month on a business assignment, however that assignment ended and now I am out of work. I also love Atlanta, because I have family there. Between the two places can you please give me a non-bias opinion on which on you would move to. If it helps I am married and have two children ages 9 and 5 and my husband and I are 29 and 28 respectively.

Also Vegans you may know of a place better then Vegas or Atlanta that is doing good right now in the current economy. IF you do please give me feedback on that also, but if you could also answer Vegas or Atlanta I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for your feedback and please help I'm desperate.
I live in Atlanta. The economy here sucks too. Unemployment about 10.5%. Atlanta is OK and Vegas is OK. Depends on what you like. Atlanta is 95 degrees and humid. Vegas is 105 and dry. The winter temperatures for both are about identical- 30s at night and 50s to 60s in the day but it rains in Atlanta several times a week in the winter and when it is 40 and raining, it is miserable.
Both have mountains but Atlanta's are far outside the city and except for Stone Mountain, not visible from the city. Vegas has mountains that are quite visible from everywhere.
Atlanta has very serious traffic and water shortage problems. I don't know about Vegas. I think Vegas offers more in the way of nightlife if that is what you like. Atlanta probably offers more in culture and education beyond high school.
Atlanta is probably a cheaper place to live although housing prices in Vegas seem to be falling faster.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i don't like atlanta, but the job situation is not good here either.. we are the highest in the nation....
No you are not the highest in the nation. You are not the highest unemployment. That would be Detroit. You are not the highest altitude. That would be Denver. And you are not the highest people. That would be San Fransisco.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:43 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I can't take the humidity in ATL. So I would pick Vegas. But that's just me. I can tell you Vegas is NOT a good place to be without a job.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I can't take the humidity in ATL. So I would pick Vegas. But that's just me. I can tell you Vegas is NOT a good place to be without a job.
Unless you are... a "professional gambler".

Old 06-28-2010, 07:21 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Spraynard, that guy has shut down the business (at least at that intersection). The signs that held the flags indicating that he was open are knocked down. I was there last week visiting clients and it was like he was never there, shame as I wanted to try out the ostrich jerky.
I used to travel quite a bit out there and I rarely saw his stand except on weekends. He set up shop yesterday at what I think was Old Spanish Trail Hwy and route 160. Good stuff. I always stop when he's open.

Brisk business for a guy in the middle of nowhere and takes a debit card, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas