Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 05:35 PM

367 posts, read 1,074,134 times

Advertisements

First of all - are all of them available? Does Las Vegas have recycle bins? What about yard bins? Here in California, we have all three, garbage being dumped weekly. Yard and recycle alternate every other week.

Secondly - do the bins typically transfer with the purchase of a house? I am in escrow but could not find any bins with the property. Or is it something the HOA or city retreived during the vacancy?

Third - if it turns out I have to purchase new bins, what are they typically running at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 05:43 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Just recently my entire neighborhood was issued large non-recycling garbage cans and recycling garbage cans. Im sure these belong to the house now. Not sure.

Doesnt the city foot the bill for these new trash cans?

Old 07-11-2010, 06:04 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,785,095 times
Republic Services handles recycling. Either you get three small binds, or one large container that you put everything in. Large container picked up weekly, smaller binds picked up seems to be when ever they feel like it.

There is no direct charge for either types of binds.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:31 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
They pick up garbage twice a week in Las Vegas, and the recycles every other week. You can tell what day is recycle day because it will be super windy and all your papers will blow all over the neighborhood.

Most people leave the recycle bins when they move, but you can just call Republic Services to get some if not. They give you one for paper, one for glass, and one for aluminum and plastic. There is a trial going on in certain neighborhoods that asked for it, where they give you a large wheeled can for garbage and one for mixing recycles in.

You can put the yard trimmings in the garbage on any pick-up day. If you have branches they have to be tied in bundles. There is a day which I never remember for large item pick-up too.

Until about two or three months ago we've had pretty good service for many years, but for some reason they started missing our neighborhood on recycle day, so I quit recycling. Now they are sometimes missing us on regular garbage pick-up days. If you call and complain, assuming you can actually get through and not get cut-off as soon as you begin to speak, they will send out a truck if they didn't pick up at your house. Last Thursday we just brought the can back in; but if this keeps up I'm calling Contact 13 ...duh, duh, duh, dummmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:37 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Oh, jess; and you can drop off stuff yourself at the transfer station as long as you show a receipt for a garbage bill from your residence. Same with hazmat stuff too, but you take that a block or two over to another site. Prepare to hold your nose while there.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:20 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
And if you live in a part of the valley with the new trash/recycle system, you will put out your trash bin and your all in one recycle container once a week. They give you the bins for free, but they forget to tell you that you will be billed $14 a month for them.
Since we have the new system, I have a big container in my back yard we originally bought from Home Depot for $95. I will sell it for $25 if anyone wants it. It's a 90 gallon.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:50 PM

278 posts, read 791,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_bd View Post
First of all - are all of them available? Does Las Vegas have recycle bins? What about yard bins? Here in California, we have all three, garbage being dumped weekly. Yard and recycle alternate every other week.

Secondly - do the bins typically transfer with the purchase of a house? I am in escrow but could not find any bins with the property. Or is it something the HOA or city retreived during the vacancy?

Third - if it turns out I have to purchase new bins, what are they typically running at?

as stated by other posters, garbage is picked up twice per week.

recycling is supposed to be picked up every other week. your bill from republic services will have a letter on it, which corresponds with when it is picked up.

2010 republic services recycling calendar:
http://www.republicservicesvegas.com...endar_2010.pdf

i will agree with buzz that it always seems to be windy on recycle day, so now i put my plastic bottles in a clear plastic bag on those days - i'd rather the stuff get picked up then to blow around the neighborhood. i suppose whether or not republic services actually recycles our things is a matter of debate and subject for another thread.

there isn't a charge for the recycling bins as far as i understand.

however, there is a charge for renting the large trash cans/toters (republic service's term, should you need to contact them regarding the issue).

from looking at the above posts, it seems as though republic services charges different prices in different parts of the valley, or posters are confused about their bill. i get a bill quarterly from republic services, and the cost each quarter for the 96 gallon garbage can/toter is $13.40, which comes out to $4.47 per month.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:05 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Speaking of Republic Services......

I've lived in places where garbage/trash pickup was run by the city/county with public employees, and I've lived where each household was responsible for contracting for their own trash pickup from a variety of private vendors, but I've never lived anywhere where the city/county mandated that you use a particular private company. You end up with the worst of both systems. Dealing with a company concerned with cutting costs to maximize profits whose employees aren't accountable to the public.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:09 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
My trash and recycling only gets picked up once a week...But we did get issued some pretty large trash/recycling containers. If you were to fill both of those up in only a week, you must have a pretty large family.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:52 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,864,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
My trash and recycling only gets picked up once a week...But we did get issued some pretty large trash/recycling containers. If you were to fill both of those up in only a week, you must have a pretty large family.
Your neighborhood must have volunteered to switch to the new Republic service. With that offering, they give everyone larger bins for both regular and recycle and pick up both once a week.

Our HOA took a neighborhood survey and we actually voted against that service. (I don't think it matters either way, but now you do need to know which service your neighborhood has.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas