Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:57 PM

13 posts, read 29,777 times

Advertisements

I'm more or less gathering as MUCH info as possible on all of these locations, and posting all over the place has really helped quite a bit. I haven't made a decision as to where I'm going to land yet.. but i do know that I want to step outside my comfort zone and I do know that I want to be FAR away from the East Coast. :]

If you had to choose, which of those locations would you pick and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy7115 View Post
I'm more or less gathering as MUCH info as possible on all of these locations, and posting all over the place has really helped quite a bit. I haven't made a decision as to where I'm going to land yet.. but i do know that I want to step outside my comfort zone and I do know that I want to be FAR away from the East Coast. :]

If I were you, I would do a cost/benefit analysis of what going to school will do for you no matter where you land. Is there a chance of you attending on a scholarship? Are you willing to live/work in an area for a year without attending school to establish residency? Doing so will save you tons. Why travel to attend a third tier school only to come out the other end in debt? Are you just graduating high school? What are your career plans? Where does your talent and passion lie and will the school and surrounding area nurture that?

You asked a very lazy question.

I don't know you, your age, interests or what your comfort zone is. If you want a town with lots of attractions, distractions and a 24 hour party atmosphere, I'm sure you know Vegas offers that and it's our #1 draw. There is also a completely suburban side to our town, lots of natural beauty and down to earth people as well.

The UNLV campus doesn't offer what I would consider an idyllic academic experience. A vast majority of the 30K+ people on campus commute. There is no fraternity row. There isn't much in the way of an academically stimulating environment around the campus. In fact, some of the most economically depressed and crime ridden neighborhoods border UNLV.

Not trying to put UNLV down, but the college experience you will have will be totally unique. Lots of opportunities to party but on the strip instead. If you come here, plan on living in an apartment off campus with a couple of roomies. You will probably enjoy the nightlife and natural beauty the surrounding area has to offer. You will need a car or at least live with someone who owns one.

If you like coffee houses where intellectual cameraderie drips from the ceiling and the air is thick with clove cigarette smoke while students sit around discussing Thoreau's transcendentalism, you wont find that near UNLV. If you like bands, big college parties, bar hopping and expect to do all this within stumbling distance of the campus, you wont find that in abundance near UNLV.

You will be far from the east coast.

Last edited by Spraynard Kruger; 07-13-2010 at 11:12 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,566 times
^^^^I meant to type in "short drive" on my post above. Looks like I need to proof read my message more often hehehe.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:02 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,057 times
Quote:

If you have the opportunity to go to another university/college I would take it. Honestly UNLV is NOT worth moving away from everything you know. I hope and pray my kids will have other options when they reach college.

There are a lot of things I love about Las Vegas, unfortunately- education at all levels is not one of our best features.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:08 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,057 times
Quote:

"New Orleans, Portland, Tucson, Vegas???"

1. Tucson
2. Portland
3. New Orleans
4. Las Vegas

Old 07-14-2010, 12:39 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times
Quote:

Step out of your comfort zone and be more social or try a different major. There is a wise saying that says that you can not run away from your problems. They will only follow you. I'm willing to bet beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is more to the story.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:59 AM

15 posts, read 31,222 times
In regards to the quality of UNLV as a school, I think there is being a bit much made of the supposed lack of option with many degrees from UNLV. Especially in this economy, English and other such degrees are not going to land you a job from MOST undergraduate colleges. Given that OP is attending UNLV and not Harvard (etc) I think it is safe to assume many of OP's other educaitonal options would put OP in a similar situation, along with a majority of liberal arts students across the country.

With that said, if OP intends to pursue a graduate degree, attending UNLV will not cause any harm, graduate programs (including law, which I can speak to more extensively) in general do not care what undergraduate college you attended.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Edit: Lyra wrote "I hope and pray my kids will have other options when they reach college."

I am not sure if you realized how incredibly pompous that statement is in this context when you wrote it...

Old 07-14-2010, 01:09 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
My choices would be:

1. Portland
2. Tucson
3. Las Vegas
4. New Orleans

An even better bet would be somewhere in Utah. Seems more fitting. And if you pick Cedar City, Utah, you can still come out to Las Vegas every other weekend if you wanted to.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:37 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantaManta View Post
In regards to the quality of UNLV as a school, I think there is being a bit much made of the supposed lack of option with many degrees from UNLV. Especially in this economy, English and other such degrees are not going to land you a job from MOST undergraduate colleges. Given that OP is attending UNLV and not Harvard (etc) I think it is safe to assume many of OP's other educaitonal options would put OP in a similar situation, along with a majority of liberal arts students across the country.

With that said, if OP intends to pursue a graduate degree, attending UNLV will not cause any harm, graduate programs (including law, which I can speak to more extensively) in general do not care what undergraduate college you attended.
Very true.

An undergrad student graduating from an ivy, public ivy or top 25 school in their chosen field will usually make more fresh out of school, but the income gap typically lessens over time.

Which College Grads Earn the Most? - BusinessWeek

Old 07-14-2010, 08:18 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Unless UNLV is giving you a full ride scholarship...rethink this costly decision that can have financial ramifications until you're well into your 30's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: