Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Carts are still free to use here. Renting them is really odd. No Aldi's, it seems they are back east somewhere. Most people bring their own bags these days, I do most of the time, but i am running out of plastic bags, so once a month, I conveniently forget to bring my bags so i can get some more.
Cart rental is specific to Aldi's here. Just another way to keep their prices dirt cheap by not having to hire a cart cowboy to round them up (you have to replace the cart with one up front to get the quarter out of the lock mechanism.) Most use the heavy-duty plastic or cloth reusuable bags. We get -.03 off the bill for each one we use. At .99 each...it only takes 33 uses and it's paid off.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:21 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
We get 5 cents off each bag we use at select stores. Smiths/Whole Foods/Sunflower that i know of. Could be more.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:59 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
I love Aldi. As for paying a deposit for the cart, usually someone will leave one lying loose in the car park, so I get paid to take a cart probably half of my Aldi shopping trips. If that fails, there's carts in the lot from the dollar store on the one side and from the real supermarket on the other. One of our Save a Lots charges for carts now, too.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
so its too expensive.. to take a quarter, grab a cart, and then get the quarter back upon return????

Old 07-13-2010, 10:19 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Usually I don't have a quarter in my pocket. If I have five nickels, I'm screwed.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 PM

430 posts, read 1,312,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I've seen that too, at Vons I remember there were some customers who paid with WIC AND food stamps. Drove off in a brand new Mercedes
Just as an FYI. Foster children qualify for WIC and food stamps. When I was a foster parent, I drove a brand new mini van, but paid for my child's milk, eggs, cheese, etc... with food stamps. I would get the worst looks from people when I would then proceed to use my Gold American Express (for the rewards points) card to pay for the rest of my groceries. Plus, pulling the credit card out of my coach wallet & purse with a Tissot watch on my wrist didn't help.

I didn't apply for or use the WIC & food stamps for my foster child for awhile because of the stigma since I felt like I shouldn't take advantage of something I didn't need. Then I swallowed my pride and realized that the money I could save would afford me the ability to give my child other things, like a top rated private pre-school program.

I know there is fraud, but due to my own experience I hesitate to judge others.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
^^It is good that you mentioned this as I am sure not everyone is out to pilfer from the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Davie, have you heard of Angel Food Ministries? You should start there. You will get healthy, nutritious food through a host site in town, usually churches.

And when you get a leg up, you can donate back to the program. It beats welfare.

www.angelfoodministries.com
I was going to mention this also. It is a wonderful program and I don't think there are any income stipulations.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,665,720 times
The quarter a cart probably helps cut the cost of loss due to theft. Wal-Mart has a type of wheel lock that's supposed prevent their carts from being removed from the parking lot.

I was down applying for food stamps today. I was there from 10am until 3pm. I'm scheduled to go for my interview with my case worker tomorrow at 11am. Hopefully they'll expidite my case.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:02 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Im surprised a simple question would generate so much buzz

I'm honestly offended some of you would jump to call me a leech. I wouldnt be asking the question if I was in good enough financial situation that I could pay for my own food. It really bothers me that I'm considering gov't help. I take a lot of pride in being able to carry the load and the fact that I may not be able to really bothers me. So dont call me a leech

And to FremontFred. That pic of mine was taken my second night in town. I have been making my best effort to keep up with my bills and look for a second job or a better paying full time one. Im not having any luck AT ALL so far. So dont say Im not making the effort when you dont know what I am up to

Things are going to be extremely tough financially until Im able to either get a second job or a better paying full time job. Perhaps LVD was right about using the insurance check to pay off my car loan even though it would be beat up real bad. But I cannot have a door that hangs on the hinges on the verge of falling off the entire car, that could have been a dangerous road hazard

To PinkString, I do 90% of my grocery shopping at the Smiths at Ann and Decatur. I've become well acquainted with quite a few of the employees there and I feel welcome there, I also like their layout and just the atmosphere in the store. Only time I buy at Vons is for a small snack when Im at work, or if I have a Vons coupon (recently had one for a free pizza, which was delicious)

To jfkIII, I am determined to stick it out here, I do not, and cannot go back to Florida. I feel I have worked too hard, too long to turn back now. And in spite of my financial situation. Im also looking at all the positives out here. I've met a wonderful girl who doesnt treat me like an ATM, or her personal chauffeur, Westgate may open up again, I was lucky to even be hired in the first place as soon as I got here, and I get nothing but good vibes from most people I meet out here

Old 07-13-2010, 11:12 PM

5 posts, read 16,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
So Im seriously considering (something I thought I'd NEVER do) apply ing for food stamps here in Nevada. Does anybody know what the exact eligibility is to receive them in Nevada?

Davie, I don't know you or your entire situation, so admittedly this response has its share of assumptions. I have read many threads in which you have posted during the time you were considering a move to Las Vegas. I don't think; however, that the food stamp program was intended for an able bodied male with no dependents. Your move to Las Vegas was a personal choice. You chose to leave a job, your home and networks (family / friends) to provide you support in Orlando. Less than a month into your new residence in Nevada, you are seriously considering applying for government assistance. Is it perhaps time to consider moving back home or to an area with a lower cost of living? I have no issues with you considering all your options but believe this would be taking an easy out that would set a dangerous precedence for the rest of your decisions in life. You have no real ties in Las Vegas, are not locked into a home mortgage that is underwater and have no children depending on you for support. I would urge you to weigh your options carefully before taking government aid. From reading your posts, I can see you are a bright young man with the ability to think things through carefully before acting.

Just my two cents, sorry if it seems harsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: