Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 AM

542 posts, read 1,928,996 times

Advertisements

Well as expected my landlord has come up with a reason to keep my deposit!!

Long story short I moved & my landlord was PISSED off that I was leaving. Apparently I was supposed to rent his place FOREVER! Read the back story here //www.city-data.com/forum/renti...-landlord.html

Anywho.... I get a call from the landlords partner / maintenance guy on Friday and he tells me that he's giving me a "heads up". The landlord isn't giving me ANY of my deposit back and he doesn't even want to give me my $100 key deposit because the stove, microwave and dishwasher are "destroyed" according to him! I have pictures & video of how everything looked when I left. The landlord REFUSED to meet me at the property to do a final walkthrough. I have text messages of me repeatedly asking him to meet me and him repeatedly saying no or we don't need to do that or if we see anything funky we will call you immediately. I turned in my keys on Aug. 13 and got a call from the friend Aug 27th. I IMMEDIATELY emailed the landlord saying I wanted everything in writing. He emails me today and says I'm only getting my $100 key deposits he doesn't say what damage or anything more except he's attached "before and after" pictures. The before pictures are AD's of new appliances!! LOL NOT pictures of the appliances in the condo! The appliances were NOT new when I moved in and he knows it! The stove was missing a knob and the microwave door handle was broken, I have paperwork stating this! It seems he plans to get new stuff for the new tenants... with my financial assistance.

I'm so pissed off!! I knew he'd try this so I guess I have to go to court now. Where do I begin???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:05 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
Well as expected my landlord has come up with a reason to keep my deposit!!

Long story short I moved & my landlord was PISSED off that I was leaving. Apparently I was supposed to rent his place FOREVER! Read the back story here //www.city-data.com/forum/renti...-landlord.html

Anywho.... I get a call from the landlords partner / maintenance guy on Friday and he tells me that he's giving me a "heads up". The landlord isn't giving me ANY of my deposit back and he doesn't even want to give me my $100 key deposit because the stove, microwave and dishwasher are "destroyed" according to him! I have pictures & video of how everything looked when I left. The landlord REFUSED to meet me at the property to do a final walkthrough. I have text messages of me repeatedly asking him to meet me and him repeatedly saying no or we don't need to do that or if we see anything funky we will call you immediately. I turned in my keys on Aug. 13 and got a call from the friend Aug 27th. I IMMEDIATELY emailed the landlord saying I wanted everything in writing. He emails me today and says I'm only getting my $100 key deposits he doesn't say what damage or anything more except he's attached "before and after" pictures. The before pictures are AD's of new appliances!! LOL NOT pictures of the appliances in the condo! The appliances were NOT new when I moved in and he knows it! The stove was missing a knob and the microwave door handle was broken, I have paperwork stating this! It seems he plans to get new stuff for the new tenants... with my financial assistance.

I'm so pissed off!! I knew he'd try this so I guess I have to go to court now. Where do I begin???
Start here...

Welcome to the Clark County Courts in Las Vegas

First thing is a demand letter. Send it certified to the LL.

The whole thing is a rather straight forward procedure. Enjoy. Revenge is sweet.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:47 AM

Thanks!! In his email he sent Aug. 29 he gave receipts and before / after pics. The receipts are for things like wallplates (some were missing when I moved in and the others were there when I left), lightbulbs, and other things the receipt doesn't give exact names of some items. I have looked at the small claims website but it didn't answer my questions. Olecapt, I have a few more questions if you don't mind.
-In Nevada does the landlord have 30 days to return the deposit or is it less?
-If I sue and the landlord loses does he have to pay me 3x's what he owes me??
-Do I have to wait until the official 30 days is up before I send the demand letter then file?

IF you know of a website that can tell me these answers let me know. I've googled it but I can't find the answers to these questions.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks!! In his email he sent Aug. 29 he gave receipts and before / after pics. The receipts are for things like wallplates (some were missing when I moved in and the others were there when I left), lightbulbs, and other things the receipt doesn't give exact names of some items. I have looked at the small claims website but it didn't answer my questions. Olecapt, I have a few more questions if you don't mind.
-In Nevada does the landlord have 30 days to return the deposit or is it less?
-If I sue and the landlord loses does he have to pay me 3x's what he owes me??
-Do I have to wait until the official 30 days is up before I send the demand letter then file?

IF you know of a website that can tell me these answers let me know. I've googled it but I can't find the answers to these questions.
From legal services....

Quote:
What can I do if the landlord does not return my deposit?

If the landlord fails to return your deposit within 30 days and fails to provide a written account, you could sue the landlord for up to 2 times the amount of your security deposit: your original deposit, plus statutory damages in an amount up to your original deposit. In deciding whether to award statutory damages, the judge can consider: (a) Whether the landlord acted in good faith; (b) The course of conduct between the landlord and the tenant; and (c) The degree of harm to the tenant caused by the landlord’s conduct. NRS 118A.242(4). Keep in mind the landlord can countersue you for any amount due under your lease.
http://www.nlslaw.net/securitydeposit.html (broken link)

I would wait 20 day than send the certified letter.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:33 AM

Thanks... let the FUN begin! LOL

Old 08-30-2010, 01:22 PM

422 posts, read 1,084,981 times
Definitely sounds like a 'Judge Judy' case! Take him to small claims court. You have some evidence already with the video and emails. Good luck. I'm betting you win.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:52 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
he is required to send you a statement of the estimates of repair or damage.. and it cannot be from him.. it has to be from a company that does the repairs

Old 08-30-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
he is required to send you a statement of the estimates of repair or damage.. and it cannot be from him.. it has to be from a company that does the repairs
And he can't use new photos from another apartment as the before...

Old 08-31-2010, 08:38 AM

The funny part is it's not even photos of appliances in another apartment. It's the actual sale ads of how much brand new items cost!! LMBO In addition to receipts from Home Depot and other places. He himself hasn't said a word about damages. All he said in his email was "I've attached before/ after pictures and receipts. You will in fact get your $100 key deposit. Where should I send it?".

It annoys me because I was a GOOD tenant! I paid my rent every month on time for 2 years I was NEVER late. No drugs, police issues even the neighbors were sad to see me go. PLUS I paid good money to have the stupid carpets cleaned and cleaned up the place really good before I left!! When I was moving the lady under me was like you were a great neighbor the people he's had before you were terrible she went on and on and on. That's why the loser begged me to stay, offered to lower my rent if I signed another lease. The fact that he's being SOOOOO shadey now sucks big ones!

Old 08-31-2010, 01:31 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times
Quote:
The funny part is it's not even photos of appliances in another apartment. It's the actual sale ads of how much brand new items cost!! LMBO In addition to receipts from Home Depot and other places. He himself hasn't said a word about damages. All he said in his email was "I've attached before/ after pictures and receipts. You will in fact get your $100 key deposit. Where should I send it?".

It annoys me because I was a GOOD tenant! I paid my rent every month on time for 2 years I was NEVER late. No drugs, police issues even the neighbors were sad to see me go. PLUS I paid good money to have the stupid carpets cleaned and cleaned up the place really good before I left!! When I was moving the lady under me was like you were a great neighbor the people he's had before you were terrible she went on and on and on. That's why the loser begged me to stay, offered to lower my rent if I signed another lease. The fact that he's being SOOOOO shadey now sucks big ones!
I've had a couple landlords like this myself. One actually tried to sue me for pre-existing damages that he claimed I made. He filed a court case, I showed up and he did not. Half the time I give someone a security deposit I consider it gone for the simple reason that it's hell to pry cold hard cash out of someone's hand. But as long as you're willing to follow the rules of renting to a T and follow through with all the hassle later, you will usually get at least some of your money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: