Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 01:40 PM

8 posts, read 13,195 times

Advertisements

someone please help My family an I want to move to vegas but not sure where safe neighborhoods are that are affordable in SD we do not even lock our doors whwn we are at work! Also I am an electrician what can I expect to earn and will I even find a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 03:00 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,057,150 times
This is going to be a BIG change for you. LV is a large metropolitan area and security is something you will need to be aware of for a while. Be observant and aware of your surroundings. You don't need to be afraid, just smart! And yes, you need to lock your house and car all the time.

LV can always use another electrician and you should do fine financially. You are going to have to get used to working in the dry heat. You need to drink a LOT more than you think you do. Never go to a jobsite without water and other things to drink. Put old towels in your vehicles to cover the steering wheel etc so they don't get too hot. Park in the shade or undercover when possible.

There are a lot of nice places to live. You should come out and look. Then you'll have a much better idea of what you can afford. Check out RE on the web too.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:56 PM

thanks for the advice yellowsnow! Do you think I could buy a house in a safe neighborhood for around 200k?

Old 06-30-2007, 09:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,230,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery444 View Post
thanks for the advice yellowsnow! Do you think I could buy a house in a safe neighborhood for around 200k?
No..Rent...when you understand the lay of the land buy. You can rent a reasonable place for 1200 or so ... a very nice place for 1500. You have no reason to buy, it is a challenging if not dangerous market and you need to know a lot more before you buy...

Remember me by the way...when you get around to buying...

Old 06-30-2007, 09:35 PM

Condo, yes. SFR would be much more difficult for that price. If you can go up to 250K it starts getting easier. Vegas is a major change for you. You may want to consider renting for a while so you can check things out. You will most likely make more money than you did in SD too. If you're a hard worker, maybe a lot more. No state taxes to pay either but registrations for cars are more expensive.

RE in Vegas is expensive and people with regular jobs pay a high percentage for housing. There's a couple reasons, one is directly to the west, California. Another reason is plain old desirability. Lots of jobs, good weather, a fun place to live.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:32 PM

As a journeyman electrician with estimating experiance could I expect to get a foreman position for around 50-60k annualy or do you think I will be competing for work with our neighbors south of the border?

Old 06-30-2007, 11:29 PM

There are a lot of big projects going up right now. It sounds doable to me but I'm not an electrician(and don't play one on tv) so I can't say for sure. I bet there are others here who know a lot more about the money.

Olecapt gave you good advice about renting. LV is big and diverse. There are huge developments and beautiful little pockets of homes all over the place. RE prices are moderating too. If you rent for a while you may get a better deal in an area you really love. If you jump right into a house, you may learn too late it's not where you really want to be.

Where do you live in SD? Great fishing around Pierre!

Old 07-01-2007, 12:26 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,693,251 times
i guess we got a deal for getting a place for 850 a month, 1 story with 2 car garage, comm. pool, and backyard, and pretty new, unless it has to do with the attached aspect

Old 07-01-2007, 02:52 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,303,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
i guess we got a deal for getting a place for 850 a month, 1 story with 2 car garage, comm. pool, and backyard, and pretty new, unless it has to do with the attached aspect
That's a great deal. How did you all do that?

Old 07-01-2007, 02:55 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,303,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery444 View Post
someone please help My family an I want to move to vegas but not sure where safe neighborhoods are that are affordable in SD we do not even lock our doors whwn we are at work! Also I am an electrician what can I expect to earn and will I even find a job?
Why would you want to trade an idyllic life in South Dakota that's similar to Mayberry Rfd to move to big old sprawling Las Vegas?
Here is something really scary for you to consider: It is expected to be around 115 for the 4th of july here and up to 117 next thursday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: