Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 11:40 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times

Advertisements

I am always amazed when people buy a house [because the price was right] beneath a flight path or next to an airport and then complain when they hear airplanes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,232 times
I never had an issue before...thats why I asked. I do think it was actually weather related as things are back to normal now (I'm in the 89141 southern highlands) but I was certainly concerned for a few days!

Old 12-25-2010, 02:02 PM

it happens every time we get a cloud cover....it holds the sound in and scatters the sound all over the valley.....about 3 times a year lol

Old 12-26-2010, 10:48 AM

35 posts, read 181,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I am always amazed when people buy a house [because the price was right] beneath a flight path or next to an airport and then complain when they hear airplanes...
when the house was looked at , the noise wasn't heard, and apart from some sort of general document issued by the county at escrow, the seller didn't disclose any particular noise issue on the seller's disclosure form. Also, there's clearly an issue in LV with flight paths changing due to weather or other reasons which could easily lead a buyer to think the noise was okay or minimal when looking at a home, only to discover that it wasn't a represenative day, time of year or whatever. This isn't as cut and dried as you make it seem, it's a lot more complex and tricky and can happen to anyone. It's not all on the buyer's shoulders, the seller must DISCLOSE DISCLOSE DISCLOSE and if that isn't done, there can be big problems down the road for that seller. After all, it's the seller, not the buyer, who has lived in the home a period of time and knows what goes on. Theres only so much a buyer can do in the "due dilligence " timeframe to know. All parties concerned- buyer, seller, and the agents, have to do their part. Someone definetely dropped the ball here and it wasn't the buyer. The agents should have said, look, even though there's minimal to no noise here on these days we've seen the house, it may be subject to a lot of noise or potential noise, don't buy if you can't handle that down the road. Just the opposite was done. The house was viewed three times, only one helicopter was seen, and that's it. The agents stood around listening for aircraft, and all concerned felt things were acceptable as viewed on those occasions.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Sorry...I certainly live in the area and I never told you the traffic was from Nellis...

The traffic that is commonly reported in the north side of town is from Nellis but is military traffic and always back against the Sheep Range.

One complexing factor is that there are two departure path from NLV that do pass right over 89108. For one departure all runway departures turn west and then come out a vector to a spot at roughly Fort Apache and Washburn. They then turn right and fly back over NLV toward McCarran. For the other they turn southwest and then south east toward McCarran.

This however would pretty much be bad weather instrument departures so you would never see them...only hear them.

Note that the runways at NLV are 75 feet wide and 5000 feet long.So no heavy jets.
I believe PinkString said there are some corporate jets that use NLV from time to time. The flights that are the most constant are not from NLV (although those small planes can sound like they are dive bombing the homes around here from time to time, not good, and are highly irritating to say the least), but the larger aircraft that seems to fly over one after another. If it's not Nellis, then it's McCarran, simple as that. But it seems difficult to get a general consensus on the 89108 zip as to what is what. Apparently the locals do always seem to think any noise they hear is Nellis. And yes, there do seem to be two paths from NLV depending on weather...some indeed are heard but not seen.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:24 PM

369 posts, read 772,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyglick View Post
thanks for this info...but it's interesting that questioniong of locals who live in the area or nearby (workmen, etc) have all said it's noise from Nellis. Do they not know their own area at all? lots and lots of conflicting information around.
It's not that they don't know the area. They just don't know much about aviation. I moved my ancient little puddle jumper from Northtown to Bolder City due to the traffic there. The jets coming into North Las Vegas are all corporate jets like Lears and Gulf Streams. Vision Air flies some turbo prop canyon runners out of there. That's the biggest stuff in there. There is just a lot of stuff in there from little two seaters to restored war birds to homebuilts. It's a busy place. But it won't accommodate big stuff. I doubt you could get an MD-80 in there.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
It's not that they don't know the area. They just don't know much about aviation. I moved my ancient little puddle jumper from Northtown to Bolder City due to the traffic there. The jets coming into North Las Vegas are all corporate jets like Lears and Gulf Streams. Vision Air flies some turbo prop canyon runners out of there. That's the biggest stuff in there. There is just a lot of stuff in there from little two seaters to restored war birds to homebuilts. It's a busy place. But it won't accommodate big stuff. I doubt you could get an MD-80 in there.

Thanks for the information...that confirms what PinkString said, that there are some corporate jets that use NLV...I wonder if that's being disclosed by realtors to prospective buyers who are basically told, "small aircraft only" out of NLV. That gives the impression that it's a light noise load out of there, when that's really not the case. Yesterday was horrible from a noise perspective, tons of very noisy small aircraft in and out of there, maybe due to the holidays. Yes, very busy airport and I would think many people living in 89108 get hammered pretty bad depending on what's going on at NLV. Sellers living in this zip: ...DISCLOSE in detail, fairly and honestly to prospective buyers the full truth of what you hear on a daily basis around there. Buyers: Beware and do what you can to protect yourself. Agents: know the neighborhoods you're selling in and if you don't, make it your business to find out. Then you can give your expertise and wise advice to your client that 89108 is affected by a ton of noise from NLV and other facilities. Then and only then can we say it's been honestly and appropriately disclosed to the buyer.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:15 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
They should also disclose that once in awhile, small planes crash into people's home's near the airport. But....if anyone is even thinking of buying close to any airport, they have to understand that plane noise is part of the deal.
I had a friend that used to live at Allen/Gowan, right across from the airport. When I would visit, helicopters were constantly taking off and flying overhead, quite loud. I asked her if they did that all the time. And she told me yes, but she is used to it now so she hardly hears it. It's just part of the background noise.

Another friend lives under the flight path of planes flying in and out of McCarren in the south part of the valley. Those planes are quite loud, all going in for a landing. His response is also that he doesn't really hear them anymore, it's part of the background noise.

One more for you: When we first moved to the valley, we were living in The Lakes part of town, next to Summerlin, we would hear the jet noise as they went back and forth from McCarran. It wasn't super loud, but it was loud enough for me to not be able to sleep for the first few months. Plus the helicopters, constant, they would rattle the windows something fierce. (old apts)
After about a year there, I no longer really heard the jets, but the helicopters always bugged me. Then one day the jet noise stopped, and since it was part of the background noise, I then could not sleep because I wasn't used to it being so quiet.

So your friends in the 89108 area will get used to most of it in time. And if they do not, and it always bugs them, consider moving to a quieter area.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:06 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
My paternal grandmother...God bless her soul...had train noises go by her place in Queens, NY, a handful of times each day...so loud you had to stop all conversation. They passed, and we took up where we left off.

She never requested that reroute the tracks.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:12 PM

I used to live on Nellis Blvd right at the end of the departure runway at Nellis Airplane Patch....we had F-111's [BIGGG NOISE BIRDS] and SR-71's [went out like the air out of a tire....psssst and it was gone....we learned to stop....

... and start up again when it was gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas