Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 03:11 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times

Advertisements

Even though this is in ca it applies for everyone nationwide who has a smart meter.
Daily Kos: Protests Growing over Smart Meters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 6,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Eh, so you search out forums talking about smart meters, register a new account with a name showing your concern for smart meters and post about it? Obsessed much?

On a scale of 0 to 100 of how concerning RF signals are to me, this registers a ZERO (not concerned). My only concern about smart meters is their accuracy and how Nevada Power will rape me financially with it.

You would hate me as a neighbor, I use two cell phones that transmit 24/7. I use 3g and 4g plus I transmit B, G and N wireless signals from 3 separate routers at all times. Two of these routers are wireless bridge repeaters which could be used solely as wireless bridges, but I have them repeat the wireless signal just to give me 5 bars of wireless coverage to every corner of my property (LOL). I use 3 [URL="http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202352449&l angId=-1&catalogId=10053"]WIFI thermostats[/URL], [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8905W-Outdoor-Wireless-Viewing/dp/B003YUEF0E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1297720378&sr=8-3"]WIFI security cameras[/URL] inside and out, [URL="http://myvirtualmonitoring.com/"]WIFI alarm monitoring[/URL], [URL="http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=ademco+wireless+keypad&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=776779675194598398&ei=uKRZTb38GIS4sAOrguGOCg &sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3 &ved=0CDcQ8wIwAg#"]wireless alarm keypads[/URL], [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Ademco-5800PIR-RES-Wireless-Residential/dp/B003U4R3IA"]wireless motion detectors in every room of my house (supplementing a wired system)[/URL], and I have a cellular backup to my alarm system in addition to the WIFI/internet transmissions. I am considering adding some ZWave automated light switches to the mix, but haven't yet.

With all that above mentioned stuff running I am still able to sleep like a rock, I rarely have headaches or increased heart rate or any other self detectable health issues.

If you have substantiated (published) evidence supporting health issues associated with consumer grade RF signals in residential areas it might help your position to post those. I watched your dark side youtube video and it seemed like the ranting of a retired engineer who has sworn off radio technology more than anything. There wasn't any great source material quoted and as this isn't a concern of mine I'm not going to look further.

In the mean time I will keep a look out for neighbors wearing tin foil hats and perhaps ask them if my RF trespassing into their homes is stealing their sleep and health.

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned my obsession with smart meters. You would too if it affected your sleep every day. 3% are highly sensitive 35% sensitive to RF wave carrying data packets. Here is another video of what your wonderful RF waves do to a cell. "Dangers of the wireless cell phone, wi-fi and the emf age part 1"
Dangers of the wireless cell phone, wi-fi and emf age Part 1 on Yahoo! Video (http://video.yahoo.com/watch/1090868/4010102 - broken link)

Old 02-14-2011, 04:16 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofthesmartmeter View Post
You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned my obsession with smart meters. You would too if it affected your sleep every day. 3% are highly sensitive 35% sensitive to RF wave carrying data packets.
Restating your baseless statistics with some of my own:
3% of the population are extreme hypochondriacs and 35% are moderate hypochondriacs.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 6,460 times
So, because you are not affected by it means that it doesn't exist? Here are some scientist describing what RF waves carrying data packets do a cell and your DNAhttp://electromagnetichealth.org/electromagnetic-health-blog/columbia-university-law-school-wireless-hazards-panel/

Old 02-14-2011, 04:47 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
Back on topic, here is a great article where students used a TED 5000 to audit their smart meter. This is exactly why I recently purchased the same monitoring unit.

That above site gives a good overview of the actual article, but they are trying to sell energy meters so take it with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Here’s a video about students from Stanford University using the TED 5000 because they suspected their PG&E Smart meter was over-billing them. As it turned out, the students were right. Apparently, over 50% of PG&E smart meters were setup incorrectly at the time. The problem was there were set to bill at a higher rate and they were being billed for their neighbors electricity use too.
There was a good counterpoint in the comments.
Quote:
Mike Knox said: Hi,
I work for an electric utility in Ontario (not Hydro One) and am responsible for our Smart Meter program. I’d like to make a few comments:
1. Smart Meters are really just “regular” meters with a clock. The old regular meter counted consumption in kWh like the odometer in your car. This month’s reading minus last month’s reading is how much you used in the month. All the Smart Meter does is record the reading every hour and transmit this wirelessly to the utility. Instead of this month minus last month, it’s this hour minus last hour. It’s a lot more data for the utility to manage, but is nothing more than that. The hourly useage can be rolled up into Time-of-Use blocks so that different rates can be applied for different blocks of time during the day.
2. We don’t do this in Ontario, but some Smart Meters can have the rates and TOU blocks uploaded into them, so all the meter has to do is transmit the two or three TOU blocks back to the utility (i.e. the math is done in the meter). Not sure, but PG&E in California may have programmed the wrong rates or times into the meters which could account for the errors.
3. Old mechanical meters ALWAYS fail slow, never fast. They are a bunch of mechanical gears and wheels which gum up over time. There is a remote possibility that some of the old meters were running slowly and when replaced with a new, accurate electronic meter would make the customers bill “go up” to where it should have been all along.
4. Electric Meters are governed, inspected and sealed by Measurement Canada here in Ontario. Anyone can ask their utility for a “dispute test” to be done by MC, but there may be a charge for this, particularly if the meter turns out to be accurate.
If Nevada Power gets too carried away I could be swayed into investing in solar or maybe putting myself at the mercy of the natural gas utillity with a home fuel cell to get off the grid.

Last edited by Danknee; 02-14-2011 at 05:00 PM..

Old 02-14-2011, 06:08 PM

I would love to get off the grid & tell the power company to f themselves.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:26 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Which actual hardware device did you buy since it looks like there is a variety of them available?
i would like to know what you bought also/// the TED appears to be a nightmare to install.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:05 PM

From what i have read the smart meters are accurate. It dont take much usage to produce 1 kwh.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:12 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
If they are so accurate, then why do people's electric bills double, triple and sometimes quadruple with the new meter's? I suspect something isn't set right within the unit.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 PM

990 posts, read 1,654,521 times
LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas