Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 PM

6 posts, read 12,954 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Pennsylvania and had a phone interview that I thought went very well. The interviewer said he felt I would be a great candidate. When will I be notified if I was accepted into the teaching pool? Is there even any hope of being hired into the district? My certification is for Elementary Education. He stated that they will be meeting for a budget this year and everything is up in the air at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 05:26 AM

293 posts, read 641,768 times
Congrats on your interveiw...after which they have to see if you qualify as highly qualified...you will still be put in the pool of teachers, but will not be hired until you become H.Q....Do you have a specialty area? Elementary Ed is a hard job to be hired for as there are thousands of applicants with that on classification. They are meeting about possible cuts right now and you will hear many different numbers of teachers to be cut, but the fact is CCSD loses many hundreds of teachers every year as 1st and 2nd year teachers leave the district because it is not what they were told. Many come from back east and midwest with the perception that Vegas would be great, but cannot make it on a teachers salary by itself.
CCSD is also at the bottom of the country for test scores, grad rate and $$$$ per pupil spending so it is a district in trouble. The highest % of kids come from the non-english speaking or illegal group and the unions pretty much ignore teachers in the first or second year because you need to earn your stripes to be taken care of. I have a friend who is Ele. Ed certified and been in the pool for 4 years with no calls and he has 7 years exp. in Ohio. My wife has gotton calls because she in math cert. along with K-8 and I am scicence cert K-8. Better bet is to check private schools there as they are always looking for good teachers and you can look while you are there and wait for a call. A bigger concern is if they call and you say no right now, they may never call again and if you do not know which schools are decent and poor you will get stuck in the bottom rung of schools....

Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 9,800 times
I'm looking to teach in Vegas for the 2012-2013 school year. Does anyone know anything about the Early Childhood programs at CCSD? The ECE programs don't seem to be very large in Vegas, and I haven't seen a push to hire ECE teachers in the same numbers as other similar markets.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:50 AM

901 posts, read 1,899,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasmaybe View Post
I'm looking to teach in Vegas for the 2012-2013 school year. Does anyone know anything about the Early Childhood programs at CCSD? The ECE programs don't seem to be very large in Vegas, and I haven't seen a push to hire ECE teachers in the same numbers as other similar markets.
I can't answer your question directly, but getting any new or additional funding for just about any public service or education is impossible right now.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:12 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
Nobody can really answer your question right now. We'll know more in 120 days at the end of the legislative session. The Governor wants to make more cuts in teachers' salaries and use it to reduce the size of classes (I presume that means having more teachers but at lower salaries). Democrat legislators don't agree. Here's where we stand for now; they just got started this morning in Carson City: Nevada Legislature opens 'tax or ax' session - News - ReviewJournal.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas