Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 AM

815 posts, read 2,052,635 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, where is this house you can't rent located and what is the name of the HOA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 PM

412 posts, read 915,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I'm waiting for the day when companies and legal departments can't hide behind hundreds of pages of red tape. It's true you should have read it but it reaches the point of absurdity when you have to absorb that much information. It's like buying a car and having to read a 1000 page agreement that states that you can only fill it up with gas once before it self destructs.
There is no way you have to read the entire CC&Rs cover to cover line by line to find out whether a property you plan to purchase and rent out has restrictions against that.
That is very basic question you can find out by calling the HOA property management or have your realtor find out for you.
Same as any questions about how much the association dues are or about parking if you can't fit all your vehicles in your garage and/or driveway/carport or if you don't like the way the exterior looks and you want to change it.
If everything sounds fine after screening major deal breaker issues in advance, then you can carefully read the CC&Rs during escrow and back out if you find other rules you don't want to live with.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:30 PM

9 posts, read 23,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas1337 View Post
I suppose it depends how aggressive the HOA is. My advise is to just rent it out anyway (short term or month to month lease) and see what happens.

Pay the dues on time, keep everything clean, make sure the tenant is willing to cooperate, and they probably won't even notice...
Check the HOA fine structure. Some HOAs have escalating fines. If they don't, just pay the fine every month. Even if it's $100 per month you might still make money.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:00 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,764,554 times
"make sure the tenant is willing to cooperate"

Apparently you've never lived in a condo before, allow me to clue you in. In my own personal experience of condo ownership it was a given that renters would routinely ignore the rules ie. barbequeing on the patios and balconies (violation) and then dumping the smoldering embers down the garbage shute and igniting a trash fire which required the summoning of the city fire department and nearly burned down a portion of the complex and caused the insurance deductible for the structure to double. Breaking into the cable junction box and installing splitters in order to acquire cable TV/internet for free. Parking in other peoples assigned parking spaces. Keeping large dogs (violation) and allowing them to swim in the pool (violation). Shall I continue, the list goes on and I witnessed it firsthand and it was ALWAYS the RENTERS who were responsible. They don't care, they just move and the only thing the rapacious landlord is concerned with is occupancy and cash flow. Seriously, I was close to throwing blows with these chuckleheads. That's the reality. Peace.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
"make sure the tenant is willing to cooperate"

Apparently you've never lived in a condo before, allow me to clue you in. In my own personal experience of condo ownership it was a given that renters would routinely ignore the rules ie. barbequeing on the patios and balconies (violation) and then dumping the smoldering embers down the garbage shute and igniting a trash fire which required the summoning of the city fire department and nearly burned down a portion of the complex and caused the insurance deductible for the structure to double. Breaking into the cable junction box and installing splitters in order to acquire cable TV/internet for free. Parking in other peoples assigned parking spaces. Keeping large dogs (violation) and allowing them to swim in the pool (violation). Shall I continue, the list goes on and I witnessed it firsthand and it was ALWAYS the RENTERS who were responsible. They don't care, they just move and the only thing the rapacious landlord is concerned with is occupancy and cash flow. Seriously, I was close to throwing blows with these chuckleheads. That's the reality. Peace.
I have seen some renters that were fine and not really noticed at all, but, yes, the majority of "problem" homes in the community I lived in were occupied by tenants with a landlord that was hard to reach in some other city or state.
The tenants generally are ignorant of the rules and then don't really care when they are brought up to date. The landlord could care less what's going on regardling violations as long as they get their rent check since they don't live in the community or have to look at it.
It takes severe and escalating fines to get their attention.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:15 AM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Aside from that we don't want renters in our neighborhood. They bring down property values.
This is complete fantasy and 100% incorrect. Suppose by job transfer or loss of job you are forced to move. The intelligent thing to do is to rent out your home and wait for better market conditions to sell. However if you happen to have a braindead Nazi-like HOA that prohibits renting you are forced to sell at market for lower price. This drives down the comps and devalues all the homes in the neighborhood.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:37 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
This is complete fantasy and 100% incorrect. Suppose by job transfer or loss of job you are forced to move. The intelligent thing to do is to rent out your home and wait for better market conditions to sell. However if you happen to have a braindead Nazi-like HOA that prohibits renting you are forced to sell at market for lower price. This drives down the comps and devalues all the homes in the neighborhood.
I disagree.

I have a current projection that says virtually all condos in Vegas will go owner occupied or investor/renter but very few will split.

The argument is that majority renter places will not be financeable and will have low appeal to owner occupants even if financing were available. They will therefore be priced to the rental market at a value providing reasonable yields.

The reasonable economic yield number will generally be a good bit less than the owner occupant is willing to pay for a similar place. The owner occupant however must believe the development to be desirable and livable .

Single family residences will be somewhat different in that the communities will remain more mixed and will tend to go back to owner occupancy as values increase...an investor looks at the value of his portfolio as the property values increase and will tend to sell if the rent driven value gets to be a lot less than the owner occupant value.

One could of course invert all this if the value as a rental was to become more than the owner occupied value. Don't think this has ever been true though in the Las Vegas Valley.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 PM

Don't buy or rent a house or condo in development where the CC&Rs are the opposite of what you want.
If you might want to rent your next property out and one of the listings is a rental restricted community, cross the place off your list and move on.
It's not as if there is a shortage of properties available without rental restrictions in Las Vegas.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:53 PM

44 posts, read 89,686 times
From one investor to another put the house under contract and cut your lose with a Realtor or If you know of a good Attorney Sell the home with Owner Finance and just cash flow. There is alway a opportunity with all adverse situation.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:21 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,764,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matlock31 View Post
From one investor to another put the house under contract and cut your lose with a Realtor or If you know of a good Attorney Sell the home with Owner Finance and just cash flow. There is alway a opportunity with all adverse situation.
Tax downside? As a landlord he's entitled to depreciation/expenses to offset the income but if he sells he can only declare the interest and a fraction of the principal, correct?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: